Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 My first rescue dog, a champion!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My first rescue dog, a champion!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile
When I worked for a rural shelter, we picked up this 3 month old border collie that I named Sweet Pea, and because it was a rural shelter, these working dogs were a dime a dozen, and noone would adopt her--even for $20.00. I was absolutely, positively in love with her. She was about to be euthanized and my heart was just breaking, so I sent out an email to two border collie rescues and got one email in response from a gal in Minnesota. She had 4 bc's already, but her heart melted when she saw my little Sweet Pea, and "if" we could work out the logistics to get her to Minnesota, she would take her. Within 3 hours, I had the whole journey booked for her on that Friday, we left on Saturday am. Kind people from everywhere offered to meet my husband and I in Bloomington, Illinois, and then they took her on to Madison, Wisconsin, where another lady met them and drove for a few hours, till her new "Mom" took her on her final leg to her new home. That's been more than a year now, and she's a title holder in the state for agility! I'm posting some pictures (these are professional, and they have a copyright thingee in the image), because I'm as proud as a peacock of this little thing, and I just think all the time, that her little life could have been snuffed out, if it wasn't for the love of this lady in Minnesota. She renamed her "Tucker" because she's a southern girl, from Kentucky, and we communicate almost monthly about what they're up to, and how she's doing. Anyway, sorry to "gush", but I'm just really happy!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
How cool. Good for you, Jonni. What a neat story and if we all took just a few minutes to be kind to animal or humans--a life could be saved. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  08:49:03 AM  Show Profile
absolutely love Border Collies, owned one a while back. so glad that this gal had a happy story.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  09:42:38 AM  Show Profile
What a great ending!!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni...YOU did good!!!! it's just great that you took the time to help this wonderful shelter dog out! I'm so happy for you both, this is such a happy story! Way to go!!! GIANT hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

I am glad to see your shelter dog thriving! I have helped rescue dogs before- Isn't it a great feeling to see them loving life?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Bless you. Dogs are like little children. They need someone to take care of them and love them. They are helpless. Tucker was lucky to be in your care in his tiume of need. Bless all of you who care.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I'm just beaming! She was the first of many rescues, though I'll never forget driving her that morning. It was early Spring (hence her name, Sweet Pea) and the little thing had never been in a car before. She just laid in the back seat like a princess, swaying with the rhythm of the car, letting it lull her to sleep, sitting up. Every now and again, when we'd pass under an overpass, or large bank of freeway signs, she'd duck! It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. Like watching the world through the eyes of a baby, everything new.

I couldn't have asked for a better home for her--her new mom works for the historical society, lives in a big ole' farmhouse and has the 4 other bc's so she's got plenty of company, and she devotes her life to her dogs. She kindof lives "dogs" like my husband and I do. She said that when they go to these tournaments, the announcer always tells Tucker's "rags to riches" story, and that she's a crowd favorite. What a blessing!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Can you give me some idea where in Mn she is? I would love to go and see some of the agility stuff. I have a terrier that DH picked up at a rest stop (with a broken leg) when he was about 4-5 months old (he still had his puppy teeth) and I think he would be great at that type thing but I have no clue on training etc. Thanks

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathy-

You could call your local humane society. They should have contact numbers for your local agility trials group. Also if you see people advertising for obediance classes- they should know as well.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful! I wonder if all the people involved in her journey realize what a difference they made in this dogs life.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kathy--Alee is right, perhaps a local humane society, or even kennel club might be able to help you. My friend and Tucker live in White Bear Lake, MN. I gather that's near one of the larger towns.

Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  7:36:31 PM  Show Profile
How neat!!!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  8:25:05 PM  Show Profile
What a great story. It's amazing to me why such wonderful dogs end up at a shelter.

We went to our local pound to find a little lap dog for DD, but came home with the sweetest Springer Spaniel. He was full of mats and skinny as a rail. I took him to a groomer the next day and told her to clip him to the skin if need be. I just wanted all those matted areas gone so he would be more comfortable. When I came back he looked beautiful and happy. The groomer told me he was actually a tri-colored springer - not very common - and had previously been a show dog. Guess she could tell from his training. Now he's a little farm dog and very happy. I think they can tell they've been adopted.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:31:33 AM  Show Profile
Ohh. So sweet. All of our dogs (4) are shelter dogs, and yes, I do believe they know they've been adopted. It's just like anyone you give a second chance--they repay you 10 fold.

I was so blessed to work with all of the dogs at the shelter, and you'd be amazed how many "Sweet Peas" that come in, everyday.

Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  07:47:15 AM  Show Profile
What a great story and so true. Kudos to you and her new owner!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  08:12:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing that story, Jonni :) I loved it. Whenever we're ready for a new dog or cat, we always try to adopt and we've never regretted it. My aunt once fell in love with a German Shepherd at the pound but wasn't allowed to adopt him because she was told he was aggressive and was scheduled to be euthanized. She had already connected with him and made up her mind though, so that night she and a friend broke him out of the pound themselves! Jake never would trust anyone in uniform, but he was the most intelligent, responsive and loving dog she ever had. Good for you for saving a life and showing so much compassion. What an awesome success story!

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I only regret not adopting one of the many dogs that I have helped rehabilitate from the shelter. She still haunts my dreams. I know she got adopted, but I haven't seen her around town so I am not sure how she is doing. I think if I could see her, I would feel better about it.

She was abandoned at a grocery store here in town. She was about 40lbs under weight and was afraid of EVERYTHING. Cars, people, but she would trust other dogs. When she first came to the shelter we thought she has cauliflower ear from being beaten, but it was just a horribly out of control ear infection. Her name is Natasha and she is a BEAUTIFUL black german shepherd. It took us about 8 months for her to get her trust in humanity back, and still she was cautious until she knew you. But once she decided you were one of her people- she was so loving and devoted! And Sky, my current dog, who usually is not into sharing or wanting other dogs in the house was actually okay with Natasha.

Unfortunatly, we lived with some roommates at the time so we couldn't get another dog :(

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Your girl is beautiful Jonni!! and so is your story and knowing she has a great life and human to make it all complete. My girls are all rescuse as well. Sweet pea is the first border I have seen with a facial split very similar to my girl Janes marking. Janes pic is in my photobucket album, take a peek when you get a chance.

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:33:29 PM  Show Profile
Trace, that is so funny--your bc has the pointed stand up ears, too! Whats even more ironic to me, is that when we picked up Sweet Pea, we also picked up a young heeler, very much like your other dog. I named her Lucinda, and she was adopted out, but I believe she and Sweet Pea came from the same farm--they were very close--all the more heart breaking for me that no one seemed to want that baby girl.

It's wonderful that so many of us have rescue and shelter dogs. Even though it's late, and two of my 4 are wrestling LOUDLY, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh--Trace-
Your dogs are stunners! Love the names, too. Ella and Jane, is there Jill, too? We have Rose (the nose), Eli, Finn and Daisy Bad-Seed.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  07:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sweet Pea sure is a beautiful girl, Jonni. And Trace, your girls are lovely, too. And Sarah, I loved the story about your 'commando aunt' and her friend! Good for her! Only one of my five dog children is adopted. The other four were abandoned-two on my farm, one in town and one at a friend's farm. I try to walk really fast whenever I'm at my husband's shelter and not look at all the pleading faces. But my last baby(a white pit bull/boxer mix) drew me like a magnet. I tell him: "Mama picked you like a peach off a tree". :D
Jonni - this is off the topic, but have you gotten any emails from me in the last week or two? I've sent you a couple, and your email connection here on MJF was working once, but now you don't seem to have one. I had another address for you(can't find it now) and I used it from my husband's computer. My work computer has been sporadic lately concerning email. They've put some new software on and stuff has gone into junk or just not come in.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  07:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Howdy, Janice!
How funny that we both have a white pit mix! Mine is a white pit/english setter mix, named Finn. He called to me, too, I tell you--he's my heart and soul, and I kiss that snout about 200 times a day.
Here is my pittie mix!

I haven't gotten any emails, Janice--I've noticed that about the site--I've sent several and gotten none in return. For a while I thought folks were just ignoring me, but I quickly realized that my email connection through the site doesn't work for whatever reason, but I don't know how to change emails...you can reach me at lilyj7303@yahoo.com. Incidentally, I planted my daylily's and I'm waiting for the color! I'm sooo excited, and think of you everytime I look at them! Looks like some of them may be past their bloom time, not for sure, according to your nice info sheets, so I've marked their spots with garden markers for next season!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-you can change your email by clicking "profile" in the upper right hand corner of the page. :) Hope that helps!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  08:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message

OOOHHHH! I want to kiss Finn on his nose, myself! Here are two pics of my "peach". They had already named him 'Stinky' and he answered to that(GRRRRR). He was taken from a dead drug head guy's home, so he was pretty fragrant, I guess! I'm sending you an email.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  08:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Janice, I love your Stinky. He has the same "facial" looks as my Finn, and appears to have that same personality. I swear, I look at Finn a million times a day and I never fail to fall in love all over again--and folks who visit our house just think he's the bomb! My mom always says, "I love my two dogs, but if I could find a dog JUST like Finn, I'd take him in a heart beat"...

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My first rescue dog, a champion!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page