cindi
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

cindi
sedalia mo
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  03:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I thought that SOMEONE might be able to answer this quandry...we have been working on our house for 3 years and are getting ready to move in to it hte end of JUly.It is a metal bulding with concreat floors. When we started on this project DH left paneling laying on the concreat and then put it up in our bedroom. It has been the wettest spring that i have ever seen. There is mold on the paneling, carpet tiles, used cabinets... Would vinager kill it? I not ready to use bleach yet, that is last resort. Please help...

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  04:07:07 AM  Show Profile
Don't use bleach it turns it into some toxic form of mold.
A Borax paste might work leave it on for a day and vacuum up wihen it dries. Vinegar does kill mold. Ellen Sandbeck's book Organic housekeeping is a good guide. Be careful to get it all. We had it in the ventalation system in a rental we lived in 4 yrs ago. I had pneumonia for 6 months and now two of my kids and I have been trying to heal from chronic asthma. There are companies strickly for cleaning mold if it is that bad. Good luck. i hope you can get rid of it!

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  05:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Tea tree oil is supposed to be the BEST way to kill/remove mold.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
sorry to say this but we were just at the allergists about a mold problem/allergies stuff this week..he said best thing to use to totally kill the mold is a solution of bleach water. ..me personally I'd totally remove the panelling and put up all new. Mold is NOT something you want to have in your house..ever.

We have been dealing with allergic reaction to mold for 7 yrs with my husband..a sick building out at his workplace..we did not know what was the cause of his severe allergy problems until this year.
(actually a couple months ago when the pink spots on the vinyl wall paper in his office building showed to have massive amounts of mold growing beneath the surface of the wallpaper/the vinyl traps moisture and in turn the mold begins to feed and grow on the glue in the wallpaper..and in this case we are talking a 60 ft or better section of wall in his office building..there are 6 other employees in the building..all of which are now on some form of allergy meds..and none of them knew why..one woman has to bring an inhaler to work every day..and still the place he works does nothing to remedy the situation/he is looking for a new job though and we are working on getting our business going more so that he can leave)

The dr. even told him that the best thing was to totally remove himself from the situation/find a new job..... his ex boss that had recently retired had been on allergy meds the entire time she worked in the building..and when she left the job when she retired..she was able to completely go off all meds but went to visit the building and chat with hubby at his work and within a few minutes of being in the building she started closing up on her sinuses and having trouble breathing.

(symptoms of nasal congestion, ear infections,headaches/migraines,difficulty breathing, extreme fatigue...several trips to E.R. because of difficulty breathing, on meds for allergies for the last 7 when prior to this absolutely no history of problems...you get the picture) One other thing..mold causes nosebleeds in kids..and adults too.

It is not something you want to have around you or your family. Trust me on this. Our quality of life has been seriously affected by this exposure to a sick building.

My husband is trying to find another job and get out of the building he is in...but in the meantime the dr. upped his medicines to having to take about 7 different meds a day...and said that if he continued to be exposed to the source that allergy shots would be the next step..and it could possibly lead into ashma problems..all of which he never ever had before this exposure..he used to be an avid kayaker and very active before all of this..now he gets tired alot because of the congestion..etc. So..all that being said..to say..you definitely absolutely do not want to keep something moldy in your house. It can have long term effects on your health.

Best to totally remove and remedy the problem.Expensive to do..yes..but what would you rather have? Good health or an ongoing problem with your health due to exposure to a "sick building?" Which is basically what you now have also with the mold on your walls in your home..
Trust me please on this..it is a very serious thing and not something you want to deal with..it can really really ruin your health.

(from a family that has been there and done that and is trying to escape..and heal)
(said with love and from the heart)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jul 07 2007 07:00:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  07:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
So sorry Tina!

I have read on mold a lot - I also have reactions to it - found some while remodeling the inlaw suite that we are living in now. Bleach, unfortunately, does not kill it - it comes back.

A dehumidifier (not just your air conditioner), vinegar & water cleaning solution & tea tree oil are supposed to be the best things you can do - other than move/replace everything in your home!

I have a dehumidifier under the house - it runs for 4 hours at a time (4 hours on, 4 hours off) and I have felt much better - I was getting tired all the time, dizzy, etc. Bad bad.

Hope your hubby finds a new job soon, very soon!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  3:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree completely with Tina on this, we have friends who had a mold problem in their home and the result was major health problems. They cleaned like crazy thought it was all cleared up but continued to be "sick". Several years later when they went to sell their house an inspector found mold which had to be removed before they could sell. Next step for them was a very expensive professional cleaning so that they could sell the house. My advice...get rid of anything moldy and start over, cheaper in the long run.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
We had mold in our old home cost almost 5000.00 to remove it but if you don't remove it then you have to put a disclaimer on your house and it makes it harder to sell later. Part of the clean up was that the previous owner had 3 hough dogs that should have lived outside but instead they locked them in the basement that had a dirt floor and the dogs had to relieve them selves there so we had to have the entire basement sanitized. Absolutely disgusting.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 11 2007 7:03:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  6:43:51 PM  Show Profile
My husband completed mold removal training for his company earlier this year. Want to know what the companies are using for clean-up? Dawn dishwashing detergent! (That is for mold that isn't eating away at your materials - surface mold) You shouldn't use bleach on it because it causes the mold spores to increase over time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,--
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.
Dorothy Frances Gurney
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  8:19:13 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Tina -- get rid of the materials that have the mold. I worked in a sick building where mold was growing in the ceiling. It was in a new addition to the building. The company thought by moving everyone back there to our office in the front and sealing it off would help with everyone's sickness. This was a stop gap measure until the building could be cleaned. It was worse! Everyone that moved their office stuff up to the front brought the mold spores with them. We were all sick. We finally had to move out of the building and the whole thing was gutted down to the studs.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://www.therusticcottage.net

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sheepdream
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Diane
Bloomington Indiana
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  06:53:22 AM  Show Profile
Check out this link(you need to scroll down quite a bit):

http://gcrc.meds.cwru.edu/stachy/default.htm

Stachybotrys is not something to mess around with!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work." Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:43:59 AM  Show Profile
well, I'm glad to report that my husband is now out of this situation as he decided to just go ahead and leave the job and go full time with our sign business here at home. yay! And already one week away from the facility and his problems are starting to slowly clear up..he's not having to take near the meds he had to before...yippee!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  2:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Tina! I am sure it will be better on his body and on your budget!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic mold !@#$% Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page