Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Put down the kitchen floor today!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Put down the kitchen floor today! Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  2:55:22 PM  Show Profile
Dh and I put laid the kitchen flooring today. We started around 10:30 and finished at 4:30, stopping just a bit to eat lunch. Now the entire upstairs except for the bathroom and back hall (from the kitchen to what will eventually be the garage) is finished except for trim, interior doors, & ceiling. DH is a real perfectionist and does wonderful work, so it looks really nice. I'm just his sidekick :)

I think we're going to take the night off tonight (dh has been having really bad back spasms the last 2 days and I think he needs to not do any work the rest of the day). I'm hoping to work on aging the little handles of the kitchen gadgets I found this weekend and then plan to do a little reading.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  3:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Patti- Wow! You two are just steaming along! It sounds like your house is really coming together quickly! I forget- How long has this project been going?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Sidekick! Have a relaxing evening. Has your DH tried a heating pad for that back? It helps me a lot, but doesn't do a thing for everyone.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile
Alee, we broke ground last June, the shell was started in September, and we moved in and started working on the interior Thanksgiving weekend. We got slowed down almost a month when dh had knee surgery, but other than that we've worked on something or another every day since we moved in.

Ann, I thought of the heating pad last night, started hunting for it but couldn't find it. When dd got up at this morning I asked her if she'd seen it in a box somewhere, and she had it in her room (she gets horrible back cramps). Dh is in the shower now and is going to lay on it on the couch while he watches a DVD. Hopefully, that will help. btw, I emailed you last night :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Another great thing to try is a rice pack. That way both you daughter and husband could have the heat :)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  5:19:51 PM  Show Profile
Alee, that's a great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  8:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love my rice pack even more than a heating pad since it radiates the heat so nicely and is almost a moist heat. I do wish it would stay hot longer though. Hmm... I just had an idea... I will play around with it a little more and get back to you :)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tpying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  8:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Patti, I remember your post when you were happy that there was a big hole on your farm!! (the basement was dug) How wonderful that you've gotten this far. I suppose it seems like it's taken forever to you though. Hey, I like being a sidekick...hand me this, hand me that...I can do that!
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  09:09:36 AM  Show Profile
I remember that too Jan!

Patti, so glad it is all coming together! Any pictures soon?

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Patti! I'm a sidekick, too. Let's give ourselves a more important title, though. This work wouldn't go as quickly and/or easily without our help. How about 'Facilitator'? :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2007 :  09:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations that is a big hard job.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  12:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Patti,
I am so happy for you!!! It all seems to be coming along so well!! I haven't been on as much due to school work, but I am so thrilled for you!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  08:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies, for your kind words! It has been so much fun the last 2 months or so, as things have really started coming together. There's so much still to be done, of course, but I can't begin to tell you how great it is to live in a house that has real floors!

Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  7:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Good on ya Patti. Isn't it amazing that a basic item can become a luxury after doing with out it for so long. It makes you appreciate the small things in life. I'm still waiting on a bathroom lock! Oh how nice it would be to have a long hot bath with out the kids or hubby just waltzing in.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Jul 10 2007 8:02:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  12:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'll have a bathroom lock when I have bathroom doors! Right now we have blankets up. When we have company (family or dd's friends) they use the downstairs bathroom and announce where they're going first so nobody else goes down there! Our "announcements" are becoming somewhat of a family & friends joke. Last week after church a friend who had been over gave us a toy megaphone to put at the top of the stairs so the announcement can be heard everywhere. She decorated it and everything!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  1:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh How funny Patti! Maybe you could take a safetly pin and tie a string to it, and tie one end of the string to a piece of paper that you punch a hole in. On one side write "Occupied" and on the other side you could write "Open" or whatever :) Then just pin the saftey pin to your blanket?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  7:04:13 PM  Show Profile
You make me laugh Patti. Just think how new and fresh everything will be when you are finnished. So what is the next step in the project?

Friends are the best collectables.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2007 :  8:21:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what we're going to do next. It's between
a) finishing the downstairs bathroom -- floor and walls
b) doing the upstairs bathroom -- floors, walls, tub, & vanity
c) ceilings upstars and downstairs

I'd love to have the upstairs done, but it would also be nice to have the downstairs bathroom finished. The fixtures, including shower, are in, so it's usable, but not finished.

I'm leaving it up to dh. We have just a little over $1000 left in our construction loan, so that will either buy almost all the upstairs ceiling OR all the tile and about 1/2 of the upstairs ceiling. I really think he'll want to finish the bathrooms next. I'll keep you posted.

We're sort of taking the weekend off -- our first one since last August! Our son is home from college, so we got some stuff out of storage that was too heavy for me to help with and then we've just spent time as a family doing stuff around here. It's been a wonderful day!!

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Put down the kitchen floor today! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page