Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden size ?? Next Topic  

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile
It's just me and my husband and I am trying to have a garden that provides us food all summer with some to be canned through winter.

Right now my garden is 15 x 30 and this is my first year growing a garden. I have had some hits and misses. I am looking to get better next year but was wondering if you all could help me.

What size is your garden? How many plants of what do you plant per person? For instance, If I was to have tomatoes to eat all summer and to can enough to get me through winter how many should I plant for 2 people?

Nikki

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  1:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
i will be watching this thread closely because i am in the exact same boat! my partner and i want to eat from our garden all summer and into the fall and also put up stuff for the colder months... we didn't start planning early like i read that so many other farmgirls do (winters by the fire with the seed catalogs)... we just started buying organic starter plants at the farmers market and ordered some seeds online... our garden is roughly 20x80 and it has a few bare spots (we figure we'll put some cool weather crops in a little later). i know that the size we chose was ambitious, but everything is just thriving!!! i have no idea if we planted in the right proportions or not, we just planted what we love...
thanks for asking this question nikki!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  2:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Our garden is pretty small this year. Its about 40x3ft. Yup- long and skinny! LOL I don't have much variety, but am hoping to do better next year. I am having to eek out garden space little by little from the weed infested lawn. Next year I am hoping to include some flowers and have a larger garden area!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  4:09:54 PM  Show Profile
I wish I had an answer too. I think most of it is trial and error and can differ from year to year. Also I have problems with too much becoming ripe at once and I can't get it all eaten froze or canned before it goes bad.
I've started a garden journal this year and have been making records of EVERYTHING, so next year I will have a better idea of how much to plant. I am also going to try writing down all the food we eat in a month to help me gauge.

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden size ?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page