Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Trying to make the cabin dream more than a dream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Trying to make the cabin dream more than a dream Next Topic  

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:19:26 PM  Show Profile
YAY! My hubby just told me that he wants us to sit down and hash out how to make my "cabin dream" a reality. I have wanted to live in a log cabin for over a decade. I have passed this dream to my hubby. We want to build a cabin once we finish our Masters degrees (we will both be done in Feb 2009.) I could cry just thinking about the fact that we may be able to make this happen someday. I would take a small cabin with a loft over the most lavish home in the world!

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds awesome Rachel! My family built a log cabin and it is so much fun! The bottom floor is one big room, with a small bathroom and the upstairs is one big room as well. It has dormered windows and kind of looks like a monopoly house! Let us know what you two decide!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, I'd love to see pictures! I want exactly what you have - one big room downstairs! You're so lucky! I just have to convince Tim that you can raise a family in a log cabin....he thinks they're too small. Yet we live in a 1000 sq foot house right now with three bedrooms and there is plenty of room. No kids yet....but I'm sure we could make a small cabin home!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  9:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My sister, her husband, and their two boys lived at our family cabin last year for a few weeks until they found a house in the area. I don't have any pictures here in Idaho of the cabin, but maybe my mom can send me some. Until then I will draw up the floor plan in Paint so I can at least show you that.

To have a family live in a cabin, I would suggest keeping the main floor open, and just divide the upstairs into two small bedrooms. You could aways build on a small bedroom off the main floor greatroom for you and your husband if you decide to have a large family. :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:04:03 PM  Show Profile
My dream is to have a little tiny "grannie's cabin" out back. Just to use as a guest house I guess. I don't even know if I could pull it off here, but sure hope to try one day. I love the idea of a tiny one room cabin.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  05:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh I do too, Aunt Jenny. My mom wants to build a one-room cabin on their property for her to use as an office. So many of us have that "cabin dream" in one form or another!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  9:52:48 PM  Show Profile
I would love for it to be my little getaway..maybe studio even, until I need it for guests...I think about it all the time. I have a couple books on small cabins that I just love. I know it is way down on our priority list..but you have to have a dream, right?

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  9:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aunt Jenny- I bet you will get your cabin sooner rather than later! Have the kids help build it! I helped my dad with ours and they are some of my best memories!

Alee

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Trying to make the cabin dream more than a dream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page