Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Some of my Grandma's work Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  07:53:03 AM  Show Profile
I said that I would post some of my Grandma's artwork so here it is. I wanted to get a picture of her as well but she said that her hair wasn't done so I will have to wait until I am at her house for the 4th of July. As you can see, much of her work is religious items. I don't know if I was able to figure out the phtobucket so please let me know if you can't see the photos!!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Very beautiful!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:15:10 AM  Show Profile
Very Nice!

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Elizabeth! Your grandma is very talented! Bet it runs in the family. Nance
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that quilt with the owl onit! I wish that was up for auction!!! ;)

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  3:52:06 PM  Show Profile
WOW what a talented lady! Does she sell the walking sticks..looks like little stickers on them.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  4:52:38 PM  Show Profile
She had the walking sticks at a garage sale to sell but none of them sold. They would sell awesome at a rennasance fair or something like that but there is not a good outlet for her type of artwork around here.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile
people at garage sales want everything for nothing.
The few I've had, they say I have really nice stuff for sale, but then want a $100 like new item for a dollar. I'd rather give it away to someone in need.
Would be nice if you could find an upscale boutique type place that would take them on consignment and get a good price for them. She's truly an artist.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I love the walking sticks too!! What sort of prices are they, if you don't mind my asking????

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  04:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Does she have a blog or a website or an etsy shop? My Thomas started Woodcarving this year...He is carving birds right now..none completely finished yet...His daddy was an artist and obviously Thomas has the gift also...I'll have to post pictures.

I'm sure she could sell her artwork for what it is really worth if she'd get it online...I have access to a woodcarving group that's been established for 20 years...I'm sure they would like to look at her work. Alot of the well known carvers have their websites, blogs and also teach at the different artisan schools around the country.

She is very talented! A shame for it not to be exposed where others can enjoy it also and possibly buy it..Has she taken it to any art galleries? If not, she should..

Peace, Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  04:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
are all of the native american items in the first picture your grandmother's work too? the beadwork and the drawing as well as the walking sticks and carving?
wow!!! beautiful... i am so drawn to native american spirituality and these items are amazing!
thanks for sharing

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  07:36:08 AM  Show Profile
The Native American picture is not her artwork but the carving to the left is hers. She has a small little work shop on hr proch where she does her work but she doesn't have a place to sell her work. She used to go to art shows when my Grandpa was alive (20+ years ago) and sold some pieces through there and throughout the years people have heard of her work and had her carve or paint a piece for them. She has done a carving for the courthouse, helped carve a bed frame for a rich doctor, etc. She is almost 80 years old and has no idea about the internet so does not have any website or anything. She has been having problems with one of her hands (and old injury acting up) so doesn't do much artwork or quilting anymore because of that.
The canes/walking sticks were priced between $20-$30, I think. I love the one that the handle looks just like a horse hoof - It if very interesting! I'm so lucky that both my children have a small quilt from her and I know that they will be treasured always!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:21:57 AM  Show Profile

Your grand mother is very very talented, it is a pleasure to see her work. Love the carvings, Virgin Mary looks so sereine, love the crazzy quilt and the enbroderies. Please tell her we admire her artwork.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think the walking sticks are great and there could be a real market for them! I bet if you offer them up for sale here, they will sell!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  3:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Are these items going to be offered up for sale? I'm interested in one of the Madonnas.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  4:12:30 PM  Show Profile
No Jana, the carvings aren't for sale! I was just showing off some of my Grandma's work! The canes were for sale at a garage sale but even if some of you were interested in those I have no idea how I would ship them! The carvings in the pictures are hanging up throughout my Grandma's house - I hope that maybe someday I can inherit one or buy one myself! I have a pretty picture that my Grandma painted hanging up in my dining room and two small quilts that she made for my children and those are family treasures! Thank you everyone, for your kind words - I'll have to tell my Grandma how much you like her work!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  4:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- You can buy tubes for shipping things like the walking sticks in. UPS could package them for you. Just and idea incase you and your grandma decide to sell them

Alee

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  10:43:18 AM  Show Profile
I called my Grandma to tell her the total for the quilts and she was thrilled!!! Thank you everyone for bidding on her things. I also told her how everyone is raving about her work and how they just love the pictures. She mentioned that maybe I can post some of her items later on if she decides to sell certain pieces or needs some extra cash at some point - so be on the lookout in months to come!! She has had some medical bills that her insurance doesn't cover all of and of course with the prices of everything going up I bet that she will be willing to let some of her pieces go. Of course, I may be bidding agaisnt you all because I want more of my Grandma's artwork as well!!! lol
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile
She definately needs an outlet for selling her work. My friend was looking for a nice walking stick for her DH last Christmas, and we couldn't find one anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2007 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Your Grandma is awesome. The carvings are beautiful and the quilt is exceptional. I love the variety in design,color, and needlework she put into the quilt. It is inspiring. Please tell your grandmother that I enjoyed viewing her work. Tracy
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Some of my Grandma's work Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page