Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Next Topic  

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile
I found a lovely little pin today at the Antique Store. I love Antiques and wondering about the history of the items.......

this is a Service Flag pin (for those of you who don't know what they are see http://www.serviceflags.com-- look under info) from WWII with a silver Army Eagle that dangles off the bottom. Had to have it.

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jul 13 2005 6:28:46 PM

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  9:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Holly-- Is your pin like the flag families would place in a front window during WWII? At one point my Granparents had six of them in the window for each of their sons overseas. There was a local bank that took a picture of their window for their calender that year and I have seen that picture so I think I know what your pin looks like.
How special for you to have found something that has so much meaning for your family. Is your husband away now? For how long? Is he regular army or guard called up? It must be a trying time for you, I hope that the MJF crew here keep you busy with new conversations and topics. It's nice to have you here, hope I wasn't too nosey!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  9:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes it's that type of flag pin.
Hubby is currently deployed to Iraq for the second time. He's Active Duty Army.......this is our 4th "hardship" tour(meaning he's gone at least a year). We've lived in AZ, GA, Germany, WA, KS, Germany and CA so far with two tours to Korea thrown in thier as well.
Thanks for asking.

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  9:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Holly, Were you at Ft. Riley or Ft. Leavenworth? Blessings to you and yours!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile
We were at Ft. Riley for two years. We loved it there ......although I would have liked a basement. Our 4th was born there -- we had a planned homebirth with him. We were "close" to hubby's grandparents in Plevna who were raising buffalo at the time so the kids got to help feed a few times, pick cherries and make jelly, rhubarb, dew berries, help clean up the garden, etc. His Grandfather now has Watusi cattle and his Grandmother has passed on. We would go back and farm given the chance but I think the family farm will go to his Uncle.

Blessings.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Jul 14 2005 08:01:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile
Ft. Riley is a beautiful base...All those limestone old buildings and trees. I drove through the base alot when I lived in Manhattan attending college. Then a new road was put in and I stopped driving through it...It was such a peaceful, scenic place. Have not heard of Plevna? Sounds like you had some wonderful times there with hubby's grandparents. Watusi cattle are interesting!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Treasures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page