Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Tomato matters...some interesting stuff!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato matters...some interesting stuff! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  12:46:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls..I subscribe to this lovely gardening blog and site called You Grow Girl and she had (what I think is) the coolest idea for keeping tomatoes healthy....

"Here’s what I do. Organic milk tends to go bad in the fridge faster than non-organic. I only drink milk in my cappuccinos so I often have lots of spoiled milk in the fridge. I dilute the milk with water to a minimum 50:50 ratio (I often dilute much further than this) and either pour it directly over the plant leaves or pour it onto the soil at the roots. I used to put it into a spray bottle first but am too lazy to take that extra step now-a-days.
I should add that this is the only time I water tomato leaves directly. I am careful to water the soil only on all other occassions. This is because tomatoes do not like wet leaves and can develop fungal diseases as the result of too much humidity and moisture sitting on the leaves for long periods of time."

Her site is SO beautiful, I can't get enough of it, and her tips are really interesting--not run of the mill.

Check her out!!!
http://yougrowgirl.com/

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  1:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Great Advice! I didn't know about the tomato leaves eaither. Thanks for the link.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Milk Fed plants often get much larger than normal. I assume it is because it is like natural Miracle-Gro with all the minerals and vitamins.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/bot00/bot00238.htm

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  04:23:08 AM  Show Profile
I have been pouring my whey on my garden plants. Has not killed any of them yet, so maybe I am helping them!! Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomato matters...some interesting stuff! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page