Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Are plants blooming faster/earlier than usual???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Are plants blooming faster/earlier than usual??? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  08:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I know I get busy and time gets away from me. But this entire season, since early spring, things seem to be 'off' somehow. Honeysuckle bloomed too early, Rose of Sharon bushes are blooming now in Louisville. All my daylilies seem to be blooming AT ONCE, instead of early, mid and late season.....Is anyone else experiencing this?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Up here, in the northern part of the state, we've had a weird rose season. They were REALLY prolific the first part of May, and then nothing. I dead head, I do everything to encourage more blooms, and I haven't had new growth/or blooms in about 5 weeks. Very strange. They look healthy, just don't want to flower.

Everything except my calla lilies are kindof at a stand still as far as blooms go. Lots of green, but little color.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  08:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
do you think it has anything to do with the hard freeze we had after everything had started blooming in the spring? that's what seems like the culprit to me... but i'm new to this gardening thing... so what do i know [/green]

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  11:54:26 AM  Show Profile
I was just having this conversation with a neighbor. He said that the blueberries are ready 3 weeks earlier this year than they "should" be.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  12:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I don't know. Even the wildflowers here are on speed dial. I saw mullein in full bloom on a roadside near my farm. It's too early. And butterfly weed has already passed full bloom. It's all like Laura's neighbor said - weeks too early. And with the severe drought we've had here, I think I've only mowed twice this season. Ordinarily, I mow my dad's suburban yard every week. But this season, I've only mowed maybe 3 times total. It's kind of eerie, just the lack of mower sound this year-stillness and dried, crispy grass that crunches when you walk on it. ICK!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  3:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls I dont think it is just your neck of the woods, my daylilies are ready to bloom, early. Honeysuckle has been blooming for over two weeks, other things did nothing. I have no idea, but it is a strange year.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  4:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Everyone thought I was crazy when I was planting my garden before Nora was born. (Mid March) But it is growing great right now. Maybe if this wasn't such a warm year, then my garden would still be small... I haven't had the chance to do very many gardens here in Moscow.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  04:20:17 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor asked me the same question, a month ago. Humm I wonder what is up. Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Are plants blooming faster/earlier than usual??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page