True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  8:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just a note-

My sister doesn't like the smell of vinegar but she uses the vinegar and water to wash her windows. She tried to put a citrus essential oil in, but she said it smelled like Pickles because of the vinegar! LOL So now she uses the vinegar and water mixture, and then spritzes the air and counters with a water/essential oil mix. She thinks she might be mixing the vinegar and water too strong. But she says now that she spritzes afterwards, she can't smell the vinegar and she loves the way the EO makes her house smell.

I like my vinegar and water strong and I don't mind the smell of vinegar. It took a little while to get used to it when I first switched, but now I love it.

Just thought I would share with you, in case some of you don't like the smell of vinegar like my sister.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  2:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Tasha, if Minnesota was so farrrrr from NY, I'd be there in a heartbeat. That sounds like a lot of fun. Wish we had that here.

Can you make a sugar/liquid scrub and put it into a pump bottle?

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  3:29:32 PM  Show Profile
I have a septic system and I'm sure going green won't hurt the septic but does anyone know for sure? I would like to get rid of all chemical cleaners in my house.
Is there a good dish soap I could make?

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Hi Shari, we also have a septic system and I would think going green would be a benifit to it. I am reasoning, that all the chemicals would harm or kill off the helpful bacteria that help keep our septic systems active.

Here is what I use to gives ours a boost from time to time..

Septic Toilet Activator

Use this if there is a persistant odor from the septic tank and indications that the sewage digesting bacteria are not present in sufficient numbers

1 quart hot water

1 pound brown sugar

2 teaspoonsdried yeast

Dissolve the brown sugar in hot water and leave til it is luke-warm. Stir in the yeast, and immediately flush the mixture down the toilet. Do this last thing at night when there is not as much activity in the bathroom.

Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  7:40:47 PM  Show Profile
Tracey,
Thanks for the recipe. I'll try that. I've been using Rid-X but this is my first experience with a septic tank. We moved into the house about 2 years ago and I just had to have repairs done to the tank. The pump went out. What a mess. The plumber that fixed it told me to keep using rid-x religiously and to stop using any harsh chemicals like bleach for my clothes. I figured going green wouldn't be harmful but I just wanted to be sure. I don't want that mess in my yard again YUK!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile
I've been using 7th Generation cleaning products for the past year in my kitchen & bathrooms. I'm very happy with them. Their being odor free is the best part to me. Also they don't bother my hands at all. Being a natural cleaning product too is an extra bonus. I use Ecover for my dishwasher & it does a superb job. I have found "Toliet Kleener" a Earth friendly product, to do the best job on the iron stains in our toilets.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  07:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the septic activator "recipe!" We have an...ugh...cesspool where we are - it's so old it's not even a septic tank. Keep in mind, however, that the farmhouse I'm in is 135 years old, too! It works like a charm - no odor the VAST majority of the time - but I've been using Rid-X, too, and I'm sort of scared of the stuff - so I'm going to try the activator. Tracy - how often do you use it? Just when needed?

You all have such good ideas! Thanks for sharing them - our homes are such a big part of our lives, and I just love to think of farmgirls spreading health and happiness all over the place!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  09:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Shari and Libby, Good luck with it. I love the fact that I am helping to feed to Good things in my septic system, lol.
I know what you mean Libby, our house is now over 153 yrs old, lol. and our septic tank is the original one to boot. I use the activator whenever I smell anything amiss outside and or when I notice that the toilet is not flushing like it should be.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gateway girl

I have a septic system and I'm sure going green won't hurt the septic but does anyone know for sure? I would like to get rid of all chemical cleaners in my house.
Is there a good dish soap I could make?

Shari

Shari- actually it WILL do your septic wonders. Most of the chemicals in commercially available cleaners are CAUSTIC to your septic and the vital bacteria in them. When you go greenw ith your cleaning (as in getting rid of all the 'cleaning agents' that you get in the cleaning aisle) you will be doing your septic a HUGE favor!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning products Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly