Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Surgery for my cat on Tuesday
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Surgery for my cat on Tuesday Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  08:37:25 AM  Show Profile
My cat, Max, has to have surgery on Tuesday to get the stones out of his bladder. They said it was from the food I was feeding him. I was feeding him Iams which is advertised as veterinarians' favorite. Evidently it isn't .

I feel just terrible giving him something that stops up his urinary tract. I know how I feel when I get a bladder infection. It is awful and now my poor ittle guy has something worse.

So the vet has food, Prescription Diet S/D, which will stop the stone from forming and also help dissolve the ones he may get. Very expensive but I think if you are going to have animals, it is your duty to take good care of them.

Anyone else had this problem with you cat?

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:19:02 PM  Show Profile
I had a cat, Ajax, that had the same problem. It's more prevalent with males, and I think high ash content in food is one of the causes. He had a hard time urinating so I took him to the vet. The vet told me that it is very dangerous and can kill the cat if not caught in time. When you start seeing the signs, bring them in right away. If I remember, I was told that if I had waited another day, he would have died. Since then, I bought Prescription Diet foods, through the vet, and had no more problems with his urinary tract.
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Patsy,
I hope everything goes fine with your cat. I lost a young cat to that very thing some years back. Nobody ever told me about the ash in the foods. I have 4 cats now and my vet told me to use Purina one. I get the sensitive system or the hairball one since one of my cats is long hair and prone to hairballs. It seems to work great for mine. The only problem is I can't find it in the big (20-25 lb) bags, so it seems like I am always buying cat food! I am sure Max will be fine. Hey, I have a dog named Max and he had that surgery about 3 years ago! It was from rawhide treats. They never did disolve in his tummy and then he got stones too. You think it's something with that name??
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty! I hope the surgery goes well! I didn't know cats would chew on Rawhide! For some reason that is something I only think about for dogs! I haven't owned a cat for a while, but I know that hairballs can be a pretty bad problem for cats. My mom's cat is really fastidious and she gets hairballs.
Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!

Edited by - Alee on Jun 24 2007 2:44:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  3:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Patsy, I use to feed my boys Iams, but then they changed the formula and within weeks both developed urinary problems. I was constantly at the vets to treat both of them. They were put on the Prescription S/D which helped tremendously, and now they are on the Prescription T/D, they have had no symptoms. As you say, pretty pricey, but worth it.

Edited Post:

I'm so addled brain these days, I forgot to send your baby healing thoughts. Hope he goes through his surgery with flying colors.

Edited by - vintagegrl on Jun 24 2007 4:02:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Surgery for my cat on Tuesday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page