Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kombucha...Anyone? Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I am wanting a kombucha starter (the bottled stuff at the healthfood store is WAY expensive). Does anyone have a baby kombu to donate to me? I would pay shipping. If not, does anybody know of a reputable company to get one from?

Thanks, Trina

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  1:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Any extra babies I would like one too! Don't know where to buy any yet.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile
This was where I go mine a few years ago, mine died form neglect,I need to re-order sooner or later
http://www.happyherbalist.com/kombucha.htm
Hope this helps,
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got one once upon a time from E-bay and it came nice and healthy. It made great tea and I LOVED the way I felt when drinking it. It was like I was taking a megadose of B vitamins whenever I drank it. I would be willing to order another an then share with you ladies- but it could take some weeks and I would just suggest going ahead and buying your own. I think it only cost a couple of dollars. I have seen Kombucha starts on other sites for almost $100. I wouldn't buy that expensive. Traditionally you aren't even supposed to sell them, but rather give them away. So if it is more than $10 don't buy it (just my opinion).

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok I give up - what is it?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  7:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kombucha is a symbiotic relationship between yeat and certain bacteria/enzymes/organizms. It isn't really a mushroom but many people refer to is as such.

What you do is make a sweet tea, with any tea you like and then you place the Kombucha "Momma" in the tea. You let is sit and ferment for a week to 10 days. During that time the Kombucha will eat up the sugar and replace it with an amazing amount of vitamins and such. It almost tastes carbonated as well. Almost like drinking a tangy apple cider tea. It is really hard to explain, but if you start drinking it, you will crave it after a while! Infact just talking about it makes me crave it!

Anyway at the end of the week to 10 days there is a baby attached to the momma Kombucha. It is really thin- only membrane thin really. Each time you use the Kombucha it gets thicker and thicker and eventually you should just compost the momma because it gets to thick to work with.

It is given credit for all sorts of health benefits and is even called "CureAll" if you google Kombucha or Kombucha Tea you can find all sorts of info on it.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  07:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I am just going to go ahead and order one. I have two friends here lined up to take babies, but after that any of you girls who want one are welcome to it.

BTW--I read on one site that you should use gloves when handling your kombu, do you any of you do that? I have also read that you should do the same with kiefer grains, but I never bother.

Trina

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  07:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Never seen my friend wear the gloves and her keifer and kombucha have been fine -- her kombucha is dead presently though from not having time to use it. A lot of people say just organic black tea to start and then add what have you. I tried making it with black and rooibus but I wound up throwing it out - would like to try again.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the great info Alee. Have you ever tried it?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  10:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I never wore gloves to handle it. It is a bit slippery and slimey feeling- but I think it is cool!

I love the tea! I really felt like it cleansed my body and I would start craving it after a few days. Craving the clean feeling and the taste even. You know how sometimes you just start craving a really fresh crisp apple? And you know you must be low on some sort of vitamin or something? That is how this felt.

I recommend using Green Tea. You get all the benefits of the Green tea plus the Kombucha benefits and it has a more mild taste than the black tea Kombucha.

Alee

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
It's here! I payed too much for it, but I wanted to make sure I was dealing with a reputable company so I went through the Happy Herbalist. I am just waiting for the tea mix to cool so I can get it started!

BTW--Alee, from what I've read the bacteria basicaly kills the antioxidents in green tea making it no diffrent than the black. Has anybody else heard this, I can't even remember where I read it. I will probably use green anyway, since I prefer the flavor.

Trina

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kombucha...Anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page