Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 When Can You Feed Chickens Scraps?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When Can You Feed Chickens Scraps? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I was rereading one of the threads on picking (Snowy, one of the vics in my other thread, is having tail feathers plucked). I removed him/her, but the Americaunas look so much alike, I'm not totally positive who the ringleader is (although I have my suspicions). I gave them some grass to occupy them, as McMurray suggests, and I'm going to drop the temp in there a bit. Is there anything else I can give them to keep them amused and off of each other?

They are growing so fast!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Yep...mine get kitchen scraps and plate scrapings every day...they love it..and I don't need a garbage disposal.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  3:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, but these are two week old chicks. Sorry, should have clarified.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  6:21:54 PM  Show Profile
oh.....hmmmm I wouldn't then for sure!! Not until they are at least 6 weeks or so..likely they just pick at each other cuz they may need more space?? I do drop the temp every week until they are outside for sure...especially in weather like we are having right now..ugh!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  9:13:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if what I did is advisable, but when this latest batch was feathered out a bit (maybe 3 weeks, maybe a bit less) I put them outside in a wire-bottom cage set on the grass and let them pick. We live in the desert Southwest so the temperatures at that time were warm enough that I didn't worry. By six weeks of age the girls were living full-time outside.

Nowadays I feed them whatever kitchen scraps I have that don't go to the dogs. They LOVE overripe tomatoes, but the main portion of their diet is grass. They'll pick at their scratch when I dump it in their coop, but they scarf down grass like crazy as soon as I let them out during the day.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  10:57:42 AM  Show Profile
I would like to get a couple of chickens. We live in town and I have to check to be sure it is ok. I would love to have some fresh eggs. So I have a couple of questions for you gals who already have chickens, if you don't mind helping a novice out.

What kind of chickens are best for laying eggs?
Do you have to have a rooster?
Will they eat weeds, like my on-going morning glory infestation, or do they need special feed?

Are chickens a big pain? We have a fairly good sized back yard and I know where I could put them, but, how much room do they need to have? I have to fence them in to keep the dog from eating them. He likes to catch the birds that live in the eaves of the garage.

Lastly, what is scratch?

Thanks

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2007 :  5:54:12 PM  Show Profile
Angie, www.McMurrayHatchery.com has pretty nifty descriptions about chickens. I opted for dual purpose birds (dual purpose meaning they are raised for both meat and eggs) at the suggestion of the owner of the feedstore where I bought the chicks. Since we live in the city, I was concerned about the birds flying over the fence. According to the store owner, the dual purpose birds, having much heavier bodies, are less apt to try flying over our 5-6 foot fence. In the 6-7 years we've had the birds, not one has flown over the fence. They occasionally will perch on the 4 foot fence around the dog run though.

You don't need a rooster for eggs; the girls will start laying them just fine without a guy around. It seems to me most towns/cities that allow chickens WON'T allow roosters.

I don't know about morning glory, but our hens have eradicated foxtail grass from our back yard. Foxtail is a very nasty thing with seeds that look a bit like wheat but with sharp stickers that can wreak havoc in dogs by burrowing under the skin or in ears. As a side benefit, we haven't had a tick problem in all the years we've had the girls.

Our birds are allowed to roam the yard during the day. However, we are going to build a chicken yard for them so we can be out back and not have to deal with nosy (beaky?) chickens wondering if we've got food. I don't really know the optimal size for a chicken pen, but I would imagine the larger the better; just make sure it's easy to clean out. Oh, and I'd suggest using smaller wire mesh. Our pen's wire is large enough that sparrows and the small Inca doves can get in and eat the chicken food. I've watched them; the wild birds can clean up a whole day's worth of scratch (a grain mix made for chickens that is mostly cracked corn) for 4 birds in less than an hour. It starts adding up financially!

I don't find chickens particularly difficult to care for; in fact, I'd have to say they are among the easiest pets we've had. Fresh water, some grain and kitchen scraps like fruit and veggie trimmings and our girls seem pretty happy.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  3:42:57 PM  Show Profile
My favorites have been the americaunas. They lay well and they lay pretty eggs (blue and green and sometimes pink). I too find chickens to be pretty easy keepers. I have a chicken killing dog. We let the chickens roam and keep the dog confined, but we have the space to do that. My other two dogs are afraid of the chickens. I recommend getting a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:16:36 PM  Show Profile
great tips here ladies. I am new to the whole chicken thing. I am learning as I go. I got egg layers and they are a week old and soooooo cute!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  03:33:33 AM  Show Profile
When my chicks are off the heat lamps and have graduated to be outside, I generally start by introducing them to cooked rice.

My silkies are especially piggish!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  10:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Mine loved fresh goats milk and alfalfa hay

Peace, Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When Can You Feed Chickens Scraps? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page