Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 embroidery bargain today!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic embroidery bargain today!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile
I have only about 15 or so vintage hankies myself..besides the one 1958 one. I actually use some of them for nose blowing too...and get funny looks...oh well.
I love the idea of your "books" of hankies!!! Now I have reason to get more more more!!!
I have never seen a round one in person...I bet they are neat!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the warm welcome

I like the idea of using photocopies of the paper napkins for Birthday mail art. The great thing about copying them is you get you use them for a variety of projects without actually harming them!

The round hankies are very pretty. Almost all of them are floral with scalloped edges but there are a few which are "maps" of cities like Washington D.C., NY City, and Dearborn, MI. I think all of them are hand rolled and hemmed which makes them more desirable.

In the forties, some women hemmed hankies as a kind of "piecework" to earn money at home. The hankie factory would ship them bolts of fabric with the hankies printed on them and they had to cut them out, roll them, and hem them. Then they sent them back to be shipped to stores.

Aren't I just a font of useless information!?!?!

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile
My mom collects hankies too....to do just that, blow her nose and dab her eyes while at church! She says it's more "ladylike" than using tissue or toilet paper

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  8:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Lucinda, I don't know if you received my email, but I would definitely love to share in your hankie abundance...you can email me through my profile if you'd like!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  8:58:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bramble

All this hot , hot crazy weather across the country must have driven us all indoors to junk this past weekend. I had a day with the "girls" , the guys were all camping and surf fishing at the beach with the kids so we hit every thrift in the area. Treasures abounded for all! There were four of us and it's a good thing I have a little station wagon!

Here was our haul:
2 matching cotton pillowcases w/ crocheted edge 1.99*
queen size cotton fitted sheet in package(new) 2.00
China lamp with floral medallion 1930's 3.99
Rowe Pottery salt glaze candlestick .99*
hand crocheted lace tablecloth 3.00
Mercer china small platter w/ tiny pink rosebuds .99
round black frame w/ silhouette 1.99*
ceramic brown w/ white polka dot watering can .49*
1960's Vogue pattern for cocktail dress .29*
Yankee jar candle Tulips (new!) .99
2 pewter candlesticks 4.99
1920's wool crazy patch quilt top 9.99
blown glass paperweight .69
Book- Country Fabric style (neat projects!) .99*
McCoy cream colored vase(small chip under bottom) 1.99
5 yds red ticking fabric 3.00* (*my stuff!)
L.L.Bean leather posture pack 2.99
175.in catalog, we looked!)

Not bad for a days "work"! And we had a great lunch to boot! It is rarely as good as it was Sat. but we got lucky! None of us spent more than $20.00 with lunch included so we didn't feel like we were
overindulgent or spendthrifts!

Jenny, I love the sound of your tablecloth, what colors will you embroider it? That's a nice size because you can use it as a topper on any table. You can't beat the price! As for that buffalo head...we spent our childhood visiting grandparents who had the most enormous deer head with 12 point antlers looming over every family dinner we ever had. One of my uncles shot it when he was 14 and apparently it was "quite something" so they had it mounted.Needless to say for many years it was the source of torture for those of us with imaginations that ran wild. You know it comes to life while you're sleeping, it's body is coming back to find it's head, etc, etc...It started sporting hats and "accessories " provided by my demonic boy cousins in later years as we got older it was more of a shock value thing for them.It wasn't until my grandfather had moved downstairs that he let on he had never liked that big head there all those years!He never hunted!

Miss Clare-- So much fabric for so little! Yeah for you! That sounds like quilting yardage to me(she said with a sly smile!) Or were you thinking of aprons?! Glad you had a great find , I'm like Jeannie; I love to hear about other people's fabulous treasures out "junking" !
And it's fun to share them with other people that appreciate "a treasure" at bargain prices!

with a happy heart

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  9:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, that deer head story made me really laugh!

I would LOVE to have some antlers or even a small head if someone wants to spare it. None of us hunts, but after going to Yellowstone last year we started fixing up our 12 x 12 bedroom as a "cowboy/hunting lodge" theme (mainly set by the Yellowstone fabric I made a quilt from). We've also dreamed for years of a ranch style gateway over our suburban driveway, but we don't have any antlers for it.

I'm glad I married a man whose idol is still Roy Rogers! (That is the kind of clothing and decor he likes too). Our kids don't even know who Roy Rogers is (although the did go to the Roy Rogers museum in Branson, MO with us).

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  9:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love that tagline...consider it stolen!! lol

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic embroidery bargain today!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page