Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I just bought a new book....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I just bought a new book.... Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  3:29:15 PM  Show Profile
called Knitting For Peace. It details all the different knitting volunteer projects such as Warm Up America, Linus Project, etc., including projects for cancer patients, preemies, service personelle etc. It tells the history of each project, gives directions to make an item to donate and gives the contact information. It's pretty inspirational. Do any of you knit or sew for charity?

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:07:11 PM  Show Profile
I saw a review for that and I think it is a great Idea.

We have a special place for Preemies. When we recieved hand knit hats in NICU, they were very well recieved and used... since I dont knit, they were very appreciated. SO all of your knitters have a little extra yarn from a project... you may want to consider makeing little hats. Think small orange size and smaller for a level 3 NICU in your area.

Women also made little white angel gowns with wings for the ones that didnt make it. They were to bury the babies in. Still when I see one, it makes me cry.

I saved this one, and the edge measures 4" laying flat, so about 8" around and 3.5" tall

FYI most surviving preemies are girls... and bout 5-1. Although Most are girls, Boys do make it.

Peanut was about 4 days old here... 1lb and this was the first time I held him.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Yes, My church here in Sneads Ferry has a quilting group. We call ourselves the Patchwork Squares. I am new to the group. The Presbyterian Church supports an orphanage in our state that has children from all situations: death, neglect, parents in jail or on drugs. The orphanage also includes a daycare for mothers who can't afford to pay for childcare. Anyway, we make quilts, approx. 50x60 in size and once or twice a year they are taken to the orphanage and children that are brought in get to pick their very own quilt from the collection. Baby quilts are used in the daycare. We recently dedicated our quilts in church to sent. I made my first one and it turned out great. The ladies have made some absolutely beautiful quilts. It is amazing how creative everyone is. Several hundred have been sent so far. When the children leave they get to keep their quilts. We have a`patch sewn on the back of each one with a prayer for the child and the signature of the quilter.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  9:18:16 PM  Show Profile
The smocking guild I joined does preemie gowns. I haven't smocked one yet and the store I go to for my sewing machine has classes every sunday were they make what they call fetal demise gowns for the little ones that don't make it. They are very sweet little white gowns. Makes me sad to see them.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  11:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Our local police department is fortunate to have a group of knitters/crochetters that make blankets for children in crisis,,,,we try to stock each sergeants unit with a blanket (we seal them in those airtight bags) so if a child is involved in an auto accident/incident from violance/lost & recovered, abused or victimized,etc, they are given their very own special blanket for comfort. This program is called the "the Linus project".
What joy these ladies bring to so many children.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  02:35:39 AM  Show Profile
yes, I crochet for The Linus Project which is a wondeful national organization. They also make throws, blankets etc for women's shelters. It is just something warm and snuggly for moms and children to have when they are in a rough situation.
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  05:02:37 AM  Show Profile
I have crocheted soft little fetal demise gowns too. They are so tiny and I made the gowns so they could be spread to look like little wings. Often times, this is the one garment that the mother has to hold and remember her baby by. They are so tiny. It is such a loving kindness to do this type of charity knitting.

Hospitals are always in need of items for the babies. You can call your local hospital and ask for the nurse coordinator for the mother-baby or preemie unit and talk to her. That is how I got information on what was needed locally.

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile
My Granddaughters' school does a Linus project every year. We have (me included) have made Quilts for children of Katrina,at Hospitals and so forth... We worked on Katrina last year and had the pleasure of one little boy who came with his parents to the school to meet the Linus Quilt Project group... They were thrilled to no end....
A few years back I provided enough fabric for 21 quilts to be made for Service men in VA Hospitals here in Maryland... So nice a feeling on that one...

Margie

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  12:58:57 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you heard of the "ugly quilt" project? Here's a link http://www.reese.org/sharon/uglyqult.htm This is a good way to use up your "what was I thinking" fabric mistakes or leftovers.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  4:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh- that just makes my heart break to think of gowns for the poor babies who don't make it! I think you women who do work for those projects are just simply amazing, wonderful, beautiful! I could go on for ever! I think I would just cry my eyes out while making them! I am such a sap now that I have Nora when it comes to babies! I can't even watch TV shows that deal with kids in not so great situations!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  4:50:57 PM  Show Profile
The farmgirls on this site are awesome, and it is evident over and over again. I cried reading this thread, and I am so proud of all of you!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I just bought a new book.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page