Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 "Wool Recycling" - Ideas, Pictures & Patterns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "Wool Recycling" - Ideas, Pictures & Patterns Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  5:49:00 PM  Show Profile
I think an applique would take away from the beautiful native american design on the blanket. I'll bring it in the house and take a photo, it really is special. When I got it, a couple years back, I checked the website and it wasn't a listed pattern, so must have been made much earlier. They sell for several hundred dollars. I would have bought it even if I had seen the moth damage and when it's folded, they aren't seen anyway.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:04:14 AM  Show Profile
I am going to get wool objects thrown at me, but..... I live on a farm here in north Idaho. My boo and the landlady's husband have known each other since they were lads at the university and we just bought a nice mobile home and live on their property. My boo helps muscle the sheep and goats around and I help out at lambing/kidding. Anyhoo, I can get taggings and skirtings from the fleeces to play with in exchange for helping out and I think she'd give me a good price on a whole or half fleece if I asked. I just recently saw someplace on line, I think, with some folkloric and rustic vintage Christmas ornaments made with home made wool felt and am drooling to make my own. I am also interested in hand spinning using a drop spindle.Once I got the hang of it, I think it would be a busy hands thing and be calming.

I feel lucky to live in a place with such good yard and tag sales. I've seen and passed up truckloads of wool here. Other than being a cold weather and sweater fiend, I just didn't have any use for most of it and no place to safely store it, so I've only picked up a few pieces here and there. Yard, garage,church charity, etc. sales are a great way to get wool on the cheap. Also, see if you can find sheep shearers in your area (unless you live in a big city) somebody somewhere on the rural side of things probably has sheep or one of the llama like critters, and if you can't find the sheep, anyone who does the shearing should know where they are. Ask about the left over bits from the fleeces...they are usually pretty dirty and require a lot of work to make clean, but they should be usable for felting (I think...somebody correct me if Im wrong). Also Llamas and their kind will have stray fleece bits. I am a consummate scrounge and will always try to find the best, most cost happy way to do anything.

Does anyone have a few good links to wool working tools? I need combs, carders (sp???) and a spindle...no room for a spinning wheel or loom, and I shudder to think what the cats would do to one anyway.

Annika
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  7:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Annika, How exciting about the access to the wool!!! You can have so much fun with that ....Have you tried needlefelting? Would love to hear more about it as it's available and see the creations...

I'll be back with some links to tools and equipment and you can also ask over in the Farmgirl Barter section for this type of equipment..you may find someone over there that is ready to make a trade.

Talk to you soon,

queenofdreamsz & Miss Morgan

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  02:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Here is my project from this week...not sure how I am going to use it yet....probably a pillow.

Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  04:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Bev- Adorable!!
I'm wanting to do wool right now but have to finish a tatting edge for a gift!!
I dont know why I dont just buy gifts!!
Yeah- really I enjoy making them- it just limits my craft-hopping urge!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, thank you for the encouragement. My landlady's daughter has done needle felting and I would be a smart lass if I asked her to teach me. Besides she is a young teen and it would be all kinds of good for her self esteem to teach an adult to do something.

Bev, that IS adorable. It would make a cute pillow top.
And Autumn, I am going to learn tatting right after I learn all the other things I want to learn :P Tatting is so old fashioned and elegant looking. I have always loved it.

Hand spinning, quilting, pillow lace,weaving, tatting...and there is a whole lot more to learn...there needs to be at least three of me LOL

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Holiday Angel
True Blue Farmgirl

444 Posts

Pauline
Sweet Home Oregon
USA
444 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Holiday Angel's MSN Messenger address

I found these on the Lion Brand News letter and thought they might be cute. I also heard that any material you can knit with that is 80% natural can be used for felting. Personally I know nothing nor have I done anything this way. I heard that you can felt by "shocking" the materials with cold and hot water bathes by altering them between the two. Beats me but thought I would tell you what they said.
Hugs,
Pauline

http://freewebs.com/hainchildrendivision/
www.http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com
President Childrens Division of Heavenly Angels in Need
http://paulinesholidayblog.blogspot.com/
http://angelsbeaware.blogspot.com/
http://freshoffthefarmtime.blogspot.com/
http://sugarslifeblog.blogspot.com/

http://www.theangelloft.com/custom.em?pid=180027
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  1:56:09 PM  Show Profile
I like to unravel sweaters for the yarn. the cheapest way to get laceweight cashmere or merino wool there is!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Debra.
Isn't that the truth..plus the recycling is a "good thing". If I could just show up at the right time at my thrift store to get them I'm still trying to get over my lose of the two pink wook blankets..missed them by just a few minutes of another lady "eyeing them"....LOL

queenofdreamsz & Miss Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by joyfulmama

I like to unravel sweaters for the yarn. the cheapest way to get laceweight cashmere or merino wool there is!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  11:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Bev,

I was wondering if you could gather up a supply of wool for me from your source for the local wool fabric?? Do they have all colors? Is it sold by the pound or by the yard??

Thanks, Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  11:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey there,

I've added many links to Free patterns using wool and felt. They are located in the original post of this topic at page 1.

Talk to ya later, Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Oct 09 2007 11:36:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  04:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Stephanie....it is sold by the yard......you need to tell me what color ranges you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  11:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Colors I have in mind are:

** Leaf green or autumn leaf color (anything would make a nice leaf color for different seasons)

** pinks purples (lights to darks), browns, peach, pale yellow, blue (coneflower)I guess that would a medium blue

That's an idea of what I want....

How much is it a yard and do you know how wide the yardage is? I can decide how much I can afford at one time when you let me know. Thanks so much for looking for me..it's near impossible to find the wool around where I live.

Stephanie

quote:
Originally posted by Bee Haven Maven

Stephanie....it is sold by the yard......you need to tell me what color ranges you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Stephanie....I found a dealer on e-bay that has the wool in different palates. I am going to the outlet today and will get an idea of what they have. Will let you know.

This is my next project....found the directions today....

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  09:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bev,

That purse is gonna be really nice..I've seen the dealers on Ebay selling the small squares of wool...quite expensive considering all the colors I would like to have..Maybe you see someone I haven't?

Anyway, I'm hoping that since you can get it by the yard that maybe it won't be terribly expensive. Do they only sell full yards or can you get 1/2 yard cuts?

Thanks so much for checking on this ....
Thanks again, Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  10:11:15 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would show my wool sweater stash. The thrift stores seem to have plenty of wool things around here. Go figure..where I've been living is much colder than where I am now.

Anyway, this will be some future felted wool for me to play with and I wanted to share my find with you.

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:21:35 PM  Show Profile
What? Do you like seeing us drool over your wool stash?
I frmly believe I can't have enough wool in enough colors.
I am starting a table topper that Annika gave us a link to- I'll post a pic when it's done.
By the way-Thanks Annika!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Wanted to share some small projects I have made out of reclaimed wool from ladies' blazers...

Owl Ornament

And Wool Heart magnets

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:38:05 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, Look forward to seeing your latest wool project. They are always so pretty. Are your penny rugs over on the quilt n stitch topic?

Michelle, Your little Owl and Hearts are very cute!

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bee Haven Maven

Stephanie....I found a dealer on e-bay that has the wool in different palates. I am going to the outlet today and will get an idea of what they have. Will let you know.

This is my next project....found the directions today....

That is an awesome purse!!!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Here is the link to that original purse..
http://www.e-patternscentral.com/detail.html?prod_id=3537&source=EPOTDE

Hey....I made that purse and another one similar, but with fall leaves.... It originally came from a pattern website that I get e-mails from....it is a good basic purse that you can applique just about any wool picture that you want...here is a pic of the other variation....

Visit my workshop at: www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Dec 10 2007 4:14:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
This one is a Butterick pattern, (I think)that makes up well with recycled wool or felted wool.

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
And this one is a wet felted sweater that I then needle felted the snowstorm onto...
This one is my own design...no pattern.

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile

I dont think I posted them there-at quiltnstitch- but I will try to get to that tomorrow.
Hey girlz!! My daughter is gonna join the forum- she's having trouble getting registered but if she can get some help from the webmaster she'll be on in a day or so I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by queenofdreamsz4u

Autumn, Look forward to seeing your latest wool project. They are always so pretty. Are your penny rugs over on the quilt n stitch topic?

Michelle, Your little Owl and Hearts are very cute!

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  7:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how exciting Autumn!! What is her name and how old is she? Is this the daughter that's getting married? Too cool..another mother, daughter on the forum

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic "Wool Recycling" - Ideas, Pictures & Patterns Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page