Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  8:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The other day my mom and I noticed that a baby bird was being stalked in the back yard by one of her cats, so my mom pulled the cat indoors and we watched. This poor baby was too young to fledge and either got knocked out of the nest or fell trying to make a first flight.

We think he is a baby robin as two robins were frantically flying around, landing next to him and then flying again. Then two black birds joined the Robins. We aren't sure what species of bird they are- probably not Blackbird though. Then a couple sparrows, a finch or two and a lark all came and were screaming, flying and in general carrying on like crazy!

The little baby fluttered around the yard and then we didn't see him for a while.

Well yesterday my old lab Seanee found it and started trying to catch it! Luckily we were in the back yard and called the dog and the cat back inside. Then the silly little baby followed us and sat at the back door watching the cat!

I hope he survives but we are afraid of trying to catch him and having the parents loose interest. Right now they are still bringing him food. Also- have you ever heard of other species of birds helping to protect a baby robin before?

Alee

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  06:24:57 AM  Show Profile
That is odd. It almost sounds like 'It takes a village' type of thing. I hope the baby will be alright.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  07:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Me too. I didn't have time to look and see if he was there yesterday. I hope he has fledged and is starting to fly! Poor little guy!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Years ago my Dad found a baby pigeon on the ground, he brought the little guy home and fed him by putting mashed up grain in his own mouth and letting the baby eat from it. Ten years later that pigeon was still living at our house. I will never forget my dad feeding that little thing.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile
I've seen parent birds care for their out-of-nest young like that, especially if the babies are close to being able to fly.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:55:46 AM  Show Profile
I have seen all of the birds that visit our yard join forces to protect each other when a snake is nearby. They are all chattering and talking as if in warning. I feel like they are telling each other "Watch out! Snake!"

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  11:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I haven't seen the little guy for a few days, so I am hoping he got strong enought to fly!

Alee

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  4:56:20 PM  Show Profile
I know that Cardinals will feed any baby bird that is fussing, and they will raise cowbirds as their own. Tufted Titmouse and Chickadees will feed eachother and watch eachother's backs. Purple Finches and House Finches will feed eachother and I don't think that they interbreed,Euroasians and Chipping Sparrows seem to get along with the finches, titmouse,and chickadees but not so great with Cardinals. They all have their own personalities and are amazing to watch. I guess you can tell I like my birds!!

Guardian Angels surround me and keep all enemies from me!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I had no idea that so many bird species would do that for each other! Thanks for sharing the information with us, Shari! What other interesting tidbits do you have to share?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Birds acting Strangely Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page