Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  6:34:20 PM  Show Profile
I am sick with myself. This morning my sheep where attacked a third time since 5-20-07. One more died the rest are at the vet. $$$$ out the door. We have a new trick up are sleeve to catch the dogs hope it works! Mean time we're on the hunt for a guard dog. So if any of them survive we can be sure to protected them. I wrote a little in the welcome wagon forum and in a reply to another "so sad" story. So sorry to ya'll who read those and think I sound like a broken record. I feel like a broken recored. Animal Control wants me to write a wittness statment, but i can't remember what happened in what attack. thats bad i can't even tell them apart they where so close together. This last attack they ripped a 3' hole in my gate and went right in. Turns out they killed a moma ewe and her baby this morning at a neighboring house also. Tonight and in the morning we're up to no good for them dogs. I really hate these dogs, the first attack i gave it to them "Maybe they where hungery" not no more. This morning nobody caught them, so there was no real reason to stop attacking, why not kill and eat them right? No they came in chewed them up and left. they also chewed a hole in my chicken pen and let them out. I am confussed why they did chase them. that would have been fun. I've lost lots of chickens to dogs. anyways sorrt for venting on ya.Kristy

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
oh Poor Kristy!!

This is so heart breaking.. isn't it?
& frustrating.. since it's just so senseless!
Because like you said.. they aren't doing it because the are hungry..
They are doing for the game or somethng now..
But they are roving in a pack now & looking for distruction... which is making them dangerous.. & costly..
So something has got to be done to stop them Kiddo..
I hope for all of you there's something that comes to a head soon..

I'm definatly thinking about you sweetie..
& hoping for things to improve..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile
That's a real pain! I'm so sorry!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  7:15:41 PM  Show Profile
It's time to load the shotgun....

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  7:27:04 PM  Show Profile
can't imagine if they'd think it was fun to do this to a child..I agree... time to load the shotgun..sorry to say..they have gotten a taste for killing for sport..to prove themselves to each other in a "hunt pack" perhaps...definitely not a good thing.very dangerous. I feel badly for you. Hope a solution is found and soon.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm very sorry too, Kristy. I get extremely angry when loose dogs wander across my property and venture near the cattle. First I yell and if that doesn't work, I shoot off to the side. If I ever caught them in the act of chasing or worse, I wouldn't try to miss.

Here's a link to CA animal law info, which includes information on the harrassment of livestock by dogs:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscacalfoodagcode30501_31683.htm#s31102

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  10:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Try a Great Pyrenees dog or two to guard your sheep. They are very effective, as from a distance, they look like a sheep...but when the ne'er-do-wells get in the pen, they are in for a rude awakening. I have several friends in the Ramona, CA area with sheep and this is the best investment ever. Plus, you can spin the Great Pyrenees fur and knit with it - dog fur is 10x warmer than wool. My thoughts are with you and prayers that your "solution" works. Nothing worse than losing an animal. Good luck! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  10:44:16 PM  Show Profile
I have heard such good things about Great Pyrenees! The ones I have known that friends had were wonderful. I agree about the spinning too..I have spun GP fiber and it was really nice!
I feel so bad for you about the dog attacks..MAN!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  11:15:36 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your losses Kristy. You never mentioned them in your e-mail to me. You are living my worst fear. I used to see dogs wandering the property all the time. My Babydolls are small sheep and not very fast, so they would be easy pickings for dogs out looking for mischief. The greatest pleasure I got was watching my Quarter Pony mare shoot off across the pasture and LITTERALLY kick the crap out of two big labs that thought they were going to "have a little fun" with my sheep. I bet THEIR owners ended up with a vet bill! But I have my Maremma now and RARELY see dogs on the property anymore. If I do, they never hang out for long, not after getting a look at my guardian dog! There is more about him in this forum, but I'm not sure where exactly without looking at the topics. I'd be happy to share more info about this particular LGD breed and you have my e-mail address now too, so drop me a line if you want to know more about him. Besides, that's why I got a dog instead of one of those other "Guardian" animals. I wanted something BIG with TEETH!!! Tracy
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  08:23:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm so very sorry...I also understand Pyrennees are a super breed to look into. Incredibly loyal, and wonderful guard dogs....someone on here posted about a Maremee, too, but I'm not familiar with them except that they have Great pyr in their lines somewhere...

Good luck to you, I realize that animals are economy, too, but I would be absolutely heartsick over the loss of life. It would be too much for me to bear again, I can tell you that.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  8:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was at the vet's office the other day. A rancher had brought in his Pyrennees dog with a broken leg. He couldn't afford to have the dog's leg repaired so he wanted it put down. My vet didn't want to put down such a great dog, so the Pyr is currently "guarding" some new calves in the vet's barn. This way he is enclosed so he his leg might heal and he still has a job to do. He was really sweet and not shy like som Pyr's can be. I hope his leg gets better!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  9:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Well my sheep came home today! Ouch describes my vet bill. This morning we got one dog. He was an un-cut male black lab/ chow looking mix. A new colar and no tags(dangit). The other dog was wounded but still got away. He is the one with tags. So we'll see, i still am worried. only 50% of the problem is for sure taken care of. I found an adoption place for the Pyrennees dogs we've been looking for. Hope it goes through! Thank you all for your thoughts, Kristy
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Kristy I am so sorry , one of the crappy hazards of living out in the boonies. Last week someone dropped off a HUGE Pitbull down the road and the other AM my dogs were going CRAZY I looked outside and saw the biggest headed dog ever! I stomped and yelled at him and he challenged me, so I threw a cup at him and he growled, that when I went inside, I have kids who are outside constantly I dont want some crazy mean dog around, I decided to have the BB gun loaded by the door. He comes back hes gettin one in the butt! I hope you catch the other dog hun!

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  11:03:53 AM  Show Profile
Good job, Kristy. Maybe the other dog will have learned a lesson and maybe its owner will too.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Kristy, so sorry about your troubles. Good to hear you got one of the dogs. Lead poisoning is wonderful sometimes for those hard to get your hands on

I thought about going through a rescue for an LGD, but the rescues all wanted the dogs to be house pets; have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous?

A couple things to keep in mind with rescues; the pups should have been raised outdoors with livestock in order to bond. If they weren't they could be your next predator. Also, look into Maremas and Tatras as well; they've got got excellent reputations.

Here, even my little dogs keep coyotes on their toes. Sometimes it's just having a noisy dog and lights that help.

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I have been told that you should probably NOT go to the rescues for LGDs unless they have one that was a working dog with goat and sheep experience and preferably one that is there because something happened to the owner, not because there were problems with the dog...

Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  11:23:34 PM  Show Profile
We still have not found the other dog, but we found a breeder in Arizona we're going to get a Pyrenees from. The rescues waithing list was to long and like Erin said not a real good idea! All my sheep are doing better now. we have them in the garage, it's the only place we have keep really clean! One baby is still haveing problems walking. So we have to help her stand up and stretch her from legs out. Otherwise so far so good for now! Kristy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope your sheep are recovering! What did you do with the dog you got earlier? Did you end up shooting it to get it or did you capture it?

Alee

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Keep us posted! We are all interested in the outcome of this!

Go to Top of Page

Ca-Reds
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

kristy
Clearlake Ca
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  10:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Were still hanging in there, no sign of the other dog and my sheep are still in the garage. They baby's are not doing so well, the next couple of days will give us a better idea. Then one dog we got was shot. the second got away with gun shot wounds. Now i am looking for the buzzerds!

Edited by - Ca-Reds on Jun 18 2007 10:22:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  10:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Glad you got one of those nasty dogs! About the LGDs from rescues, I personally would NOT get one from there. At least as a first time LGD owner. It's sad to see, but many of them have been mistreated, neglected, abused or just plain WON'T guard livestock. Some of them are even downright dangerous because of whatever situation thay came from. It makes me want to beat the tar out of anyone who mistreats an animal of any kind, but some animals are better off destroyed than taking chances. Especially with dogs as BIG as most of the LGD breeds are. They can kill you with one bite! I have an LGD (Eli the Maremma! It was me that posted Jonni) and like I said in my little Eli tale, they are NOT for the fainthearted to have, and a rescued animal might be unpredictable-- so are the MIXED LGD breeds. My advice is, if you KNOW you're going to get an LGD, start with a PUREBRED puppy that has been allowed sufficient time with it's mom-- she's the one who trains him the basics. And look into the background of the breeder you buy it from. Prices can range from just a few $100 up to $1200, and price doesn't necessarily make the dog. If it's a bad dog, it will be a bad dog no matter WHAT you pay for it. Also, make sure the parents are working stock. Pyrs are EXCELLENT dogs, and you MIGHT get a good rescue dog. A lot of them are turned in because someone who lived in an apartment didn't realize how BIG that adorable ball of fur was going to get, or they were TOO protective of the kids, or that GUARDIAN someone bought to protect their goats ended up at the foot of their bed every night! I looked into the LGD rescue sites too before I got my Maremma, and frankly, what I read on them nearly frightened me to death! (just look up the # of Anatolians and the reasons THEY were turned in!) Do your homework before you make that final choice. I wrote to ALL of the breed registries and got their member information on the dogs and the breeders, then I started contacting breeders. The ones who hedge on the point blank questions I would not buy dogs from. The ones who usually will talk your ears off and are only too happy to show you their dogs and how they operate, now those are the ones to consider. I was fortunate that I found an excellent breeder in Oregon, and I might just buy another dog from her in the next few years. I'd be happy to share her name and info with you in a private msg. Best wishes to you and I hope you find the breed that will work in your situation. Tracy

Edited by - shepherdgirl on Jun 18 2007 10:26:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Guard Dog Wanted!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page