Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chicks Pecking Each Others' Backsides?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicks Pecking Each Others' Backsides? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  7:06:06 PM  Show Profile
I found a couple of scabs on two of my chicks near their vents. One chick is the exotic, the smallest in the bunch. The other is a Cuckoo Maran. The Marans seem a bit spastic compared to the other "girls", and this one has been threatening to paste up a bit. I'm wondering if they're at the bottom of the pecking order and they've gotten "gotten" a time or two, or if something else is going on. I haven't seen any picking, although I've seen them take potshots at each other (mostly on the butt) here and there. Just small round scabs. One on one chick, two on the other. Thanks in advance.

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile
Probably at the bottom of the pecking order. Chickens are funny like that. Go to backyardchickens.com for more info on the little buggers.

www.taylorscountrystore.etsy.com

http://sheronesgarden.tripod.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  4:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like they ARE getting "gotten". IT happens I hate that one thing about chickens!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  4:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, we have gone through a rough experience with cannibalism this past week. This is what we learned... First, if possible, take the two victims out of the group; pinetar works well if there's any bleeding, although you may need to reapply a couple of times; it doesn't seem to stay on for more than a day. Then watch to find out which chicken is doing the picking. Ours was caught pecking the toes of everyone she could catch. Then, separate her from the group and let the victims back in. Free ranging is supposed to end the cannibalism, so we gave our little cannibal to a friend who free ranges. We also put red curtains over all the interiors of the windows in the coop to slightly darken it and also to help disguise any bleeding in the future, both of which are said to help. So far, the rest of the flock are doing very well. I'm so sorry you're experiencing this--isn't it stressful!??? And, picking at the vent area is (I've read) the worst form. Ughhhh.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile
How are your chicks? They will peck at eachother if they are too hot (do you have them under a light) or they are too crowded.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  1:28:13 PM  Show Profile
The light is at one end; there's plenty of room to get away from it.

I decided they were outgrowing the brooder faster than we thought, and dh built a larger, temporary pen for them in the garage until we reno the barn. We put them out there on Saturday, and they seemed to love it. The ones who'd been picked on (and one I'd caught picking) were variously arranged in the brooder box and in other temp. housing until their wounds were no longer red, then I put the picker and the pickees in the brooder together, and they were together all weekend with no problems.

Just now, I went out and two more chicks are getting tail feathers pulled...actually two I'd been watching like a hawk b/c I suspected them of picking. I'm nonplussed. I put my healed up girls back in, moved the new vics out and separated them, and here I am. I'd had the garage door open (it's very warm today...90s), and I shut it in case it was too bright for them, but it's pretty shady. I also removed the draft guard, as they keep hiding behind it and I wondered if they were getting scrappy in close quarters. We'll see. It's the doggone tail feathers coming in...they just don't seem able to resist! They've got almost a square foot per bird right now, and they're not even three weeks old, so what gives? The heat bulb is red, btw.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  06:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, how many chicks do you have? After getting rid of the one who instigated the picking, we were left with 24 who get along great. But when the picker was present, other birds also pecked at the bloody spots, so it took my DH a lot of watching to see who the real troublemaker was.
I've read that hanging a head of lettuce (turnip greens work well, too) overhead for them to peck at helps with boredom. I just give ours a few old heads of lettuce or spinach from the garden every day to work on... and picked clover with short stems were the first thing I gave them. Supposedly the fiber in the greens is said to help with pecking.
I sure do feel for you. It's awful to see your "babies" being bullied.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile
I have 25 chicks.

So far so good, today. You wanna hear something funny, though? My first two vics were my partridge cochin and my largest cuckoo maran, both of which were straight run chicks. "Snowy", the maran, is my largest chick, and something about her build and behavior just makes me think "rooster". S/he got really tame while healing up, and was one of the ones I put back in last night. Well, around bedtime I peeked in, and Snowy and the Cochin (Kona) were establishing themselves at the top of the pecking order! No tail pulling, but one good peck in the center of the back to anyone who got too close, and a lot of strutting. Wouldn't it be funny if the two underdogs wound up being in charge?

Still with the grass clippings. I'll try some clover today. My lettuce production has been abysmal. I need more floating row covers.

Edited by - PocketFarmgirl on Jun 26 2007 09:56:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  10:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Glad to hear the chicks are settling down a little bit! Before you know it they will all be outside and running around!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  06:53:02 AM  Show Profile
BUSTED!

I finally had the time to just SIT out there for half an hour, and I caught one of my Americaunas red-beaked, so to speak. My last vic is going back in the coop today, and Fine Young Cannibal, as she is now known, is separated out. I figure I'll wait until I start ranging them outside and try her back with them, and see what happens. Everyone else seems fine.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Sarah- I know it isn't funny- but your chick's new name made me smile! I am glad you are keeping a good sense of humor while dealing with this. I hope FYC learns her lesson and leaves the other chicks alone after this!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  4:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I'm glad you found the perp... but sorry it's remained a problem. Free ranging sounds like a great solution! (Hurry up and grow, girls...)

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicks Pecking Each Others' Backsides? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page