Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 found plants at Habitat thrift store
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic found plants at Habitat thrift store Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  1:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Does anybody else have a Habitat for Humanity store close by? The one here in Louisville is getting all the plants that Lowe's can't sell-mostly they've just stopped blooming and don't look as 'nice'. My friend and I went on our lunch hour and filled her car-almost no room for us!LOL Everything from bedding plants(2.00 per flat) to Crape Myrtle bushes(3.00) to rose bushes(2.00). I bought 3 crape myrtles, 2 forsythias, 2 rose bushes, a flat of 'wave' petunias in 5 inch pots, a lemon scented geranium a large fern and a large pot of Strawberry Parfait dianthus and spent a whopping $20.00.
Now to get them all in the ground!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile
WISH the places around here would do something like that. I always feel so bad when all the plants just wilt away when I know with a little care most would pop right back. You got yourself some planting to do.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  3:42:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow Janice, what a good deal. I will have to check that out. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  8:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I didn't even know there were Habitat for Humanity houses! What a great deal!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  8:44:02 PM  Show Profile
cool deal. what fun.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  9:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh many - you picked the scab on an old wound for me with this topic!! I used to work at Home Depot - I measured window coverings and ordered them. Everytime we had to go to the back to get rid of trash I would almost cry. They would take all the plants, that were just a little bit droopy (just needed water), or ones that were going out of season that hadn't sold and put them in the GARBAGE COMPACTOR. Vegetables and flowers alike. They crushed hundreds and hundreds of tomatoe plants and you could smell that tomato smell all over that end of the store. I cried, I whined, I complained - nothing helped. I wanted them to give at least the veggies to charity, but they wouldn't. Corporate policy. Said that if they gave them away, some people might try and bring them back for cash or store credit. Needless to say, I only worked there 6 months, I couldn't stand all of their "corporate policies." I'm glad to see that Lowe's at least has a heart.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  03:43:34 AM  Show Profile
My mom volunteers for the one in Chatham county they sell tons of great items and have even started including a "shabby sheek (SP) area in the store that sells like hot cakes

i'll have to tell her about the plant idea!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  05:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Anna. The store here sells anything that is donated that they can't use. I've seen couches, books, windows, doors, appliances, cabinets and even old sewing machines! And their prices are low. They said that Lowe's is going to continue to send plants for the rest of the season. They were selling like hotcakes last week! It's a 'win-win' thing. Plants get a home, Habitat gets the money, and maybe Lowe's get a tax write off.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Wish I could have a lunch break like that! Have fun planting! Susan
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Miss Bee Haven,
thanx for the heads up on the HFH stores...I'll have to snoop around Spokane next month to see if they have one.
How cool, everyone wins, the stores get a tax write off, the plants aren't discarded in the trash-given a 2nd chance, gardeners get plants @ affordable price & HFH gets a source for money to benefit it's cause.
Awesome!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  4:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love it when things work out like this. It is great to hear about a "Big Box" store doing something that helps the community. Just because of that I might be more willing to shop at a Lowe's when I have a house and need to do shopping in that type of store.

Alee

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic found plants at Habitat thrift store Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page