Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Homemade shampoo/conditioner recipes??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Homemade shampoo/conditioner recipes?? Next Topic  

small graces
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Jennifer
Candor NY
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  1:20:10 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone got a wonderful recipe or two? I have a large family and we make our own "lotion". We need to save some more money, and make homemade shampoo and cond. We can't go with cheapo stuff from the store, because we are a chem-free family! Thanks for your ideas!!

"Think about this day for a moment, Charlie Brown"... http://fmnfarm.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  09:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jennifer!

I haven't tried any of these recipes but some of them sounded neat!

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hair.html

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Nothing works as well as commercial shampoo and conditioner. I have waist length hair, I also have been making soap as a business for 10 yrs. I buy shampoo and conditioner.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Gotta agree with E. I used to buy shampoo bars from a soaper. While they were nice on my hair, they did a number on my scalp. I gave up on shampoo bars for the msot part. I would say that if you were going to do shampoo I would probably make a CP shampoo bar instead of messing with tring to make liquid stuff. Have you tried some of the dr. bronner's liquid soaps if you are trying to avoid weird chemicals? Doesn't help you with a conditioner but that soap is ind of useful for some things.

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...grew up a farmgirl!

http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I also like using baby shampoo on my hair. I discovered this when I was in the hospital giving birth. They usually don't have the alcohol in them so they are less drying. I have also used my own cold process soap and didn't have any problems. It takes about a week to get used to using homemade soap on your hair. I am not sure if this is just because it is clearing out the old residue or what- but after that initial couple of days I really like using my own soap.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Here is a hot topic on this board from a while back that might interest you Shampoo Free

Also if you have a local co-op or health food store there are some good natural shampoo and conditioners out there, but they are kinda pricey. Bronners does work as shampoo, but tends to dry my hair out.

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  4:29:23 PM  Show Profile
I recently went "shampoo free" and am using the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. My hair loves it and there is absolutely no scalp build up. Not to mention it is so affordable and environmentally friendly. I used to believe in only store bought shampoo until I went to the "shampoo free". Check out that thread. There are a lot of believers in it . . . now including me.

Hugs & Blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  4:45:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm using the BS and ACV also. My DH looked at me funny and told me my hair smelled like vinegar, but its smooth and clean! and very cheap!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile
I just started the bs and acv. I rinsed my hair a lot and it doesn't smell like vinegar at all. It made my hair so easy to comb. I love it already!
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  8:53:44 PM  Show Profile
I remember as a kid, that an egg (raw of course) would do in a pinch as shampoo. The yolk was conditioning while the egg white did the sudsing. Haven't tried it lately, but I remember you used lukewarm warm so as not to "cook the egg"~;)

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group
http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/Blog
Go to Top of Page

mamaofcuties
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Tammy
Mechanicsville Iowa
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  5:58:22 PM  Show Profile
I buy shampoo bars from a great place here in Iowa called Prairieland Herbs, they have handcrafted herbal goodies- bar soaps, shampoo bars, facial stuff, solid perfume, hydrosols...you name it, I think I have probably tried every product and they are fabulous! I highly recommend the rosemary nettle shampoo bar- it smells good enough to eat! Prairielandherbs.com.
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:43:11 AM  Show Profile
oh! *blushing* Thanks mamaofcuties! :) I think they're rather spectacular too! *giggles*

I have tried good shampoo bars, and very BAD shampoo bars - I can understand why some people cringe and try to run away when I offer them shampoo bar samples! (Kinda like handmade soap - I ADORE handmade soap, but thre are some really baaaad ones out there....kinda spoils it for all the people that make amazing handmade soaps!).
Go to Top of Page

simplebasics
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Pomeroy WA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Organic Creations has a super shampoo bar...and much more!!!
Send an email and ask about hair conditioner, as it is not listed.

a message from SIMPLE BASICS
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2897 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2897 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Maggie
I just received 3 of your shampoo bars and I love them. My hair is very thin & after using for a week my hair is very soft but not fly away feeling(if that makes sense.) I have the 3 bars lined up on my shower caddy & choose a different one each day.
I LOVE them!!
Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2008 :  11:36:59 AM  Show Profile
I just re-read the autumn/winter Hobby Farms Homes magazine and there was a whole section on homemade herbal and natural shampoos and conditioners, along with face cleansers as well. It lists all the items that you can forage for, or purchase, and what is best for what hair/skin type. It was really helpful and not at all overwhelming.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
my hair is very thick, long, frizzy and curly. when i was a child my mother rinsed it with vinager because we couldnt afford to buy conditioner, sadly it made my hair very difficult to comb out and left alot of frizz unless she combed it into long ringlets (which she always did grrrr) as an adult i use tons of condtioners on it which ahve helped immensely with the combing and and a bit withthe frizzing. while i would like to get away from store bought but this is one of those areas where i fear for the effectiveness. does anyoen else who is shampoo free have long, curly, frizzy hair? does anyone know the shelf life of store bought shampoo and conditioner? we will be moving to a homestead and will be purchasing things in large quantities so that in our retirement we wont have to spend as much $$. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

CarharttQueen
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Miriam
Soldier's Meadow Idaho
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  10:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I've tried several different cleansing and conditioning methods for my hair since I was a teenager. I've discovered that...

1. ACV Rinse (I use 1/4 C. to 1/2 C. mixed with about 2 C. water) works wonderfully to make your hair clean and shiny, by removing soap/dirt build-up. However, it is not a moisturizer. If you have darker colored hair, the ACV will enhance the natural lighter tones. If you have blond hair, it's recommended you use Lemon Juice Rinse instead of ACV.

2. Shampoo Bars... I think it depends on the quality of the soap, and your type of hair. For my naturally oily long thick hair, a good shampoo bar works okay for a while, but only if I use ACV and/or conditioner with it.

3. I've tried going no-poo, and because my hair has a lot of natural oils, I'm only able to go maybe 3 no-poo cleansings before I need a little shampoo to get rid of the excess oils. and, I've found the best way to cleanse my hair w/o shampoo is a combo of lots of conditioner, and ACV rinse.

4. Don't underestimate the power of a good conditioner. Most people (even like me, with oily hair) have very under-moisturized hair. Your hair will be much happier and behave better if it gets all the moisture it needs! Currently, every time I shower (whether shampooing or not) I mix a big blob of conditioner with about 2 C. water and pour it over my hair. This gets it evenly distributed, so there's not "greasy" spots. I haven't come across a recipe for homemade conditioner yet; my favorite brands are Tre-Semee, Aussie, and Pantene Pro-V.

5. Someone asked about curly hair. My recommendation is get the book "Curly Girl" by Lorriane Massey. This is invaluable! Although my hair is mostly straight, with just a bit of wave, I learned so much from this book! Basically, she uses a system of cleansing your curly hair with conditioner only, no-poo. She has a whole chapter of home-recipes for various hair treatments, rinses, etc.

6. My favorite after-shower hair conditioner/gel is plain Aloe Vera gel. It's an excellent moisturizer (and has to be good if you've been in the sun!) and won't leave a sticky residue. I even use it for my baby's hair!

I've got some good ideas from this post...I love being able to use more natural/inexpensive things for my hair! Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
For curly hair remember to give it lots of nutrients and moisture, especially at the ends. Here's a great video for washing and styling curly hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZYkGnAmMc

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  04:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I started on the other thread and tried the baking soda wash for about 8 days. I tried rinsing really well, but my head felt dirty, clogged, and itchy. During this trial I did find my hair did not need a conditioner. It combed out beautifully. I then went to using my handmade soap bar. Much better. got rid of the bad but kept the no conditioner need, combing out good. This morning, up a bit early, climbed into the shower and grabbed the shampoo out of habit. Realized it as the suds formed, but went with it. For the first time in a month had knots. I have one of the natural shampoo and conditioners. Admit I was a bit disappointed. I do have shorter hair so don't have the issues a lot of the ladies have, but knots are knots.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Homemade shampoo/conditioner recipes?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page