Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 inspired to crochet lace edging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic inspired to crochet lace edging Next Topic  

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  9:51:51 PM  Show Profile
After once again re-reading the new MJ stitching book I decided it was high time to do some crocheted edging again. Havn't done any in years. I love to knit, and crochet too, but don't like to crochet with yarn as much as with thread so I got the finest I could find nearby (DMC#30 in a soft sage green) and I am making a narrow edging..long enough to edge a pillowcase if I decide to use it for that. I am loving it. I used to crochet doilies and things when I was in high school and as a young mom in my early 20's but then got onto other needlecrafts and havn't done much of it in years. I will post a picture when it is done (this strip of lace I mean) just had to share how much fun I am having. I am just making up my own pattern as I go along, but I sure recomend the instructions in the stitching book...perfect for learning! I want to make a headwrap next!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:04:19 PM  Show Profile
My grandma taught me to crochet when I was about 8 or 9 using size 30 thread, so I didn't even know you could crochet with yarn til I was an adult! She stitched around a dresser scarf with her old treadle machine on a long stitch, and we crocheted right into the edge of the scarf, like a hemstitch I suppose. I would never attempt to teach anyone starting with that, but it must have worked - I'm still crocheting 50 years later.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:17:46 PM  Show Profile
That is how I learned too!! Making a small simple doily was my first crochet project when I was about 7 ..my grandma taught me. Maybe that is why I like the small stuff better. I learned to knit from an Aunt about the same time...made many many potholders and beanbags, and barbie clothes before I went on to bigger stuff..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:20:11 PM  Show Profile
We must have grown up in the same era, with the same kind of grandma!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:23:03 AM  Show Profile
I remember my Mom teaching my brother and I to crochet. We started out with yarn. Both of us are left-handed, but I use my right hand to do most things and my brother does everything lefty. So, he sat across from her while I sat beside her to learn. I doubt he crochets anymore but he did enjoy learning. I started out with blankets but I most enjoy doing doilies and laces now. Don't do much with yarn anymore but I do knit some.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Would any of you talented gals be interested in doing some pillowcase edgings for me? I would be more than willing to pay whatever you ask. I have tried many times to crochet and knit but my fingers just do not want to cooperate, so I leave it to the experts and drool when I see their work. I stick to what I am good at...sewing and embroidering.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Do you have a particular color you like?
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Would you like the separate edging you sew on or do your pillowcases have hemstitching?
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:42:49 AM  Show Profile
When I was 14 yrs.old there was a lady in my neighborhood who rode a three wheeled bicycle with alarge basket on the back for groceries. She was the cutest thing. Anyway she used to sit in her yard and crochet and she taught me. My first project was houseslippers. I was hooked. I crocheted for several years and then stopped for many years and have recently begun crocheting again and am loving it. I've made 2 scarves, dishcloths, trying to make lace but not successful. Can't manage 30 thread and fine needle. Size 10 thread is as small as I can manage but am making beautiful afghan squares to be used for a shawl or maybe even fronts of pillow shams. Had thought I'd use them for a bedspread but I will need about350 squares so we shall see. Needlework rocks! I can't believe I said that. Tracy from NC
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  08:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Separate edging or on the pillowcase as I can hemstitch them, and in white. Thanks for the interest.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aunt Jenny- How is the lace coming?

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:12:03 PM  Show Profile
I set it aside and will be finishing it tonight...a sage green size 30. I did a narrow pretty simple edging and I love how it turned out...only about 8 inches of the last row to do...won't take more than 1/2 hour or so. I won a big lot of crochet thread on ebay and it came in the mail today..so I will be doing more for sure. I especailly like the tiny thread.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  8:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds really pretty! Please post pictures!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic inspired to crochet lace edging Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page