Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Found a new Kitchen treasure!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Found a new Kitchen treasure!!! Next Topic  

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  12:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Our house is really really old and has a cellar under most of it, and also a cellar that I don't use that is under the grainery (where I store hay) out behind the big garage (not attached to the house) that is my husbands domain. I had never even been all the way down into that cellar since he always has firewood stacked over the big door in the floor of the garage.
Today he was cleaning up the garage and had moved all the firewood to our other garage (attached to the house) and the door was not blocked so I decided to check out that cellar..I love cellars and basements!
I was not surprized to find a zillion jars of canned goods down there..probably 20 years old..yuck..that we need to someday clean out..but looked at the shelves and all and Eureka!! an old pie safe!!
It is really rustic and will need to sit up on top of something..I have an old ice box in my kitchen that will be perfect. It needs the screen on back repaired, and needs to be cleaned and painted (and roughed up after painting so it dosn't look freshly painted..that would never work in MY kitchen..and I have a treasure. I am so excited. I will take a picture to show you all after I get it finished..I can't wait!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  1:10:23 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny... that is very EXCITING!!! Please take a before pic and then an after pic.. that way we'll really appreciate all of your work!! Also, all of those canned goods in the cellar... once you get them emptied out, just think of the big canning jar supply that you'll have to work with! Hopefully the canned goods won't be moldy... that'll make the cleanup job worse. I love old finds like you found today!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  1:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Be sure you wear rubber gloves and wash your hands throughly after handling those canned goods! Can you say botulisim city? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I remember touring a really old house once where they had some canned pickles sitting out that were bubbly and had eaten through the zinc lid on the jar! I was just astounded they had it on display---can't you just see some little kid sticking thier finger in it??

Run the jars through the dishwasher twice and get new rings and lids before you use them.

How fun though, I love to find antiques! Especially free!

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  2:39:00 PM  Show Profile
I am going to take a before picture for sure..just going out to do that!
I have a zillion canning jars in every size already...alot of them from the cellar under the house that I DO use. Also I have all my grandma's old jars and boxes of jars that old ladies bring me..the collection goes up each year! (I think I am lucky to be the recipient of those jars...the ones that have been used and loved for years!!) I had been collecting my own since I was 17 too..I will not leave them behind in any move! So..I don't think I will be saving these yucky ones unless I see a real gem or a neat zinc lid..so far I noticed mostly used mayo jars and recycled lids..yikes!!
Anyway..I am off to work on the pie safe thing... I have alot of ideas for display in it. I would like to get it done TODAY!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  2:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Well Aunt Jenny, if they are mayo jars with funky lids.. then definately rubber glove them straight to the trash almost untouched. I'm excited to see your find! A piesafe, how cool!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  2:55:16 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Jenny! Can hardly wait to see the pics! Be careful with those jars! Remember to also be careful of any rodent droppings too...If you see some spray with a mix of Chlorox and water, and don't stir up the dust around them. I would wear a mask too. Be very, very careful!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  2:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, that is so cool! I can't wait to see the pictures too! Have fun restoring it!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  4:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh how cool!! Do send pictures of before and after. I can't wait to see it.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile
okay here are the pictures..remember it is rustic..or as my neighbor said..crappy chic...haha
I can't wait to put freshly canned jars in it, and heck..maybe even pies!
It is sitting on top of an old ice box made into a cupboard in my kitchen.
FYI...no rodent droppings which shocked me. (a good sort of shock)
also some pics of the 4th of July parade in our little town that went right down our street on its way to the city park where it ended. That is the edge of my front yard and some of my kids, and relatives watching it go by. http://photobucket.com/albums/y45/AuntJenny/

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  8:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Very cute Aunt Jenny, and what a nice family you have! Good Job!! Looks nice filled with your vintage items too!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  8:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok Jenny -- I have your address and I'm getting in the car to drive to Utah to steal your pie safe!!! It is so totally cool and I love all your vintage stuff inside! The parade is so sweet as are your kids!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  8:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Cute kids! Cute pics! Cute clothepins! Cute piesafe! I love the way it looks with your vintage stuff in it! Oh and you are cute too Jenny! Thanks for sharing with us!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

justacitygurl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Dorothy
Haysville Ks
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  9:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Send justacitygurl a Yahoo! Message
Jenny your pie safe is so cool! Your kids are cute, the 2 legged ones as well as the 4 legged ones!
Dorothy

just a city gurl wishing she was a farm girl
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  06:05:18 AM  Show Profile
It is just so cool. I love how you have all your vintage items in it. What a treasure.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  06:39:14 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I love the pictures, thanks for sharing them! Great pictures of the kids and of you!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile
That is toooo awesome Jenny!!!! I love digging in old cellars and basements. Attics too!!!! Never can tell what neat stuff that you will find and can use.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  2:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, what a find!The pie safe is too cool! The pictures were great. And don't you just love small town parades? Ours runs the length of Main Street (about one mile from start @ HS parking lot to finish @ fire station). I liked your clothes pins too.
Happy ("junk") hunting,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Jenny-- What great "buried" treasure! I love that you found it , fixed it up and put it to work so quickly. It looks great with all your vintage stuff!
The kids and the parade look great too! We have a parade but it is predominantly fire companies and kids, no John Deere tractors. Boo!
Thanks for sharing your fun find and pictures.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  09:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I wasn't sure what a pie safe was. What a great find, a treasure. It looks great too. When I lived in LA I was faux finisher and decorative painter and poeple would pay good money for a finish like that. good job. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - love your pie safe! What a treasure hunt find! And you made it look so good!

Nosy me has one more question about the yucky canned goods. What was in them? Fruit? Veggies? Could you even tell? I love finding old stuff like that, even if it is yucky because it tells a little story about the person who put them there. How old is your farmhouse and barn?

We have found lots of old stuff on our little plot of land, and lots of it was jars with stuff still in them. I cleaned it all out and saved the jars. They are very old, hand blown and with tops that only take corks. But the stuff inside fascinated me too!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  12:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, maybe you're a scientist at heart?! I agree it is fascinating!

Edited by - Clare on Jul 11 2005 12:56:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2005 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile
Lets see...I could tell that some had meat chunks..no telling what kind..and there was fruit..peaches I think..and lots of tomatoes..the rest I couldn't tell..maybe applesauce? There was some mixed stuff too..maybe soup or mixed veggies..but not the original color..
The originaly part of our house is over 100 years old..but it has been added to over the years..the grainery/hay barn is probably not much newer..it is pretty rickety and funny. I will have to take a picture for you gals..I was so excited when I saw it. It is behind the big garage..block walls..built in the 1960's or 70's.It is connected at the one wall and the cellar runs under the hay barn although the door down the stairs is in the garage. So I think they added the cellar out there later. I heard they added the house cellar after they moved in in 1950. The old man who lived here for 55 years before us and raised his family here had a mechanic business he ran out of the garage for years.. we are still finding old car parts and junk.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile
I found a treasure this past weekend that I do not know what it is. It looks like my vintage syrup containers, but has a wider opening pout spout. It could be for syrup or honey. It is clear glass with a metal lid that has a place to push the lid open(it tilts back). The opening is about 1 1/2" across. So it would need to pour something that either comes out slow (like honey or maybe molasses). Anyway, thought maybe one of your farm girls might have one and can tell me just what it is. I'll check out ebay to see if one might be on there too.

Thanks,
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  06:15:09 AM  Show Profile
How cute! I love your pie safe - it's perfect. What a gift- finding something that someone made with their hands and used daily that had been tucked away waiting for you to find it.
I am always amazed at pictures from out West- it is so open and spacious. We don't have that here in Georgia. Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Found a new Kitchen treasure!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page