Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The way you comb your hair.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The way you comb your hair..... Next Topic
Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry, that just popped into my head when I thought about this subject. I have noticed in the past few days that once I left CA, the women are more natural and more beautiful than ever. Long hair, short hair, tanned, flowing clothes, complete western wear, a few Mexican- Indian women (gorgeous,,,I was jealous!!!) and it has got me thinking how I started to buy into what is really beautiful based on where I lived. I have seen so many naturally graceful aging women and even some younger chicks looking natural, I have been so happy to see this. Coolest thing I've seen yet....a woman pull up on her HORSE to a Dairy Queen and park him outside and she strolled on in in her riding gear..awesome!! Can I get an AMEN to the natural girls!!!!

Cheers,

Heather

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile
There is a woman that I see when I take my daughter to her Kindermusik class. She is probably in her late 30s, but she could be early 40s. She has very long hair. She never wears make-up. Her dark hair is all one length and it has some natural wave in it, unless it's from braiding it. It's got lots of silver in it. Her eyes are the prettiest eyes. She could be on one of those JJill ads. I know what you mean about natural beauty.

Myself, I gotta wear at least a wee bit of make-up. I have 4 kids and they all take turns at keeping me from getting my beauty rest.

I can't be tan. I'm freckled all over and I have lots of skin damage from my childhood when I just about lived outside.

My niece is Mexican/Indian and she is very pretty. She is very curvy too. She is only 16, but she looks va-va-voom for her age. My sister calls her the "Aztec Goddess."

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile
I love the natural flowy look. I have hair past my shoulders which I wear in a french braid or in a bun. I wear a little makeup. I think if your heart is pure and natural it comes out and shines on our faces. There's no need to be something we're not. Here's an Amen for the natural beauties! Mommom
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm all for natural beauty with minimal enhancement. Beauty really does come from within. I don't think I could live in southern California where many women pull their faces so tight they become caricatures of themselves. Some of them look like Kibuki masks. Very scary. Nor would I want to become so worried about my wrinkles that I'd refrain from laughing or frowning, or otherwise showing my feelings on my face. I have wrinkles, and I earned every one of them. They're part of my history, written here on my face for everyone to see.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I don't! It's down to my waist, and really, I just run some conditioner through it in the shower and let it dry naturally. I've never owned a blow dryer and don't know how to use a curling iron....luckily, my hair is really fine and doesn't require "much".

Honestly, if it takes more than three minutes, I don't wanna do it. I wear powder, a little cover up under my eyes (don't sleep TOO much), mascara so I don't look like I'm asleep and clear lip gloss for a little shine. I have freckles, and I like them, and don't hide them with makeup!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
One reason I love looking at the MJF magazines and books is the natural beauty of MJ and Meg and the gals on the staff in their photos. I love that ability to look beautiful without much cosmetic help. Wish I could attain that, but NOT! It has nothing to do with age, either. Boy, I would have loved to see that gal ride up on her horse to a Dairy Queen! Too cool.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  2:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
when do ya'll find time to comb your hair? Just kidding. I usually just find time to pull it back into a pony tail. If I am feeling really fancy I will blow dry it and leave it down or tie it back with a ribbon.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  3:23:41 PM  Show Profile
I am from Southern California and I have lived here all my life (55 years). I have personally NEVER met anyone who has had a face lift! So don't let all the talk of SO. CA led ya on to much. I have lived in the big city, in a small town and now living in a medium town, been all good for me! 99% are just like you and me. Yes, MaryJane & Meg are beautiful examples of natural beauty. Aren't we blessed to be a part of MaryJane's Farm?!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever!"
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  01:01:49 AM  Show Profile
I gave up combing my hair. Lost too many combs that way

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:41:50 AM  Show Profile
i don't own a comb or brush .. i jus' hold my two hands up in front of me .. fingers on one hand straight (that's my comb) ..
fingers on t'other hand curled .. (that's my brush)! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile
i, too, have seen 'prissy city gurlz' .. 'prissy farm gurlz' ... and 'natural city gurlz' and 'natural farm gurlz'
(BEAUTY WISE) .. honestly doesn't seem to matter where someone is from as to whether or not they like a tad of lipstick and sweep of mascara .. whether they have their hair 'done' at the 'shoppe de la beauteeeee' .. or let mother nature blow her windy comb through their hair. all us gurlfrenz are beautiful with or with a tad of rouge on our cheeks. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  08:24:04 AM  Show Profile
In my younger days I was quite the priss. I wouldn't go to the grocer store without makeup and my hair fixed. I thought,back then, that it would be hard to accept grey hair and wrinkles. I swore I would get a facelift at 50. I am 52 and have never colored my hair, wouldn't even consider a facelift and their has to be a pretty darn good reason for me to wear makeup! My husband loves my grey hair, no kidding. When we were young he would notice a woman with short grey hair and comment on how great she looked. How lucky am I? Anyway I usually wore my hair to my shoulders and pulled it back in a ponytail. My DH loves short hair so I cut it. My hair is so straight that it is difficult to keep it looking nice unless I blowdry with a round brush and spray, spray, spray. I hate having to use hair spray everyday so will let it grow back out. It grows so fast someone joking told me I must use Miracle Grow in the water. Getting older hasn't been hard at all. I am very satisfied with the way I look. I am "the mom" and that means more to me than being a priss pot. My family loves me just the way I am and they tell me I look great so that is good enough for me! Wouldn't mind shaking those extra pounds that snuck up on me though. Oh well, my apron will cover up some of that. Aprons are good for alot of things!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with Tracy. I tried coloring the gray. But finally gave up. I am so lucky to have the white/silver gray in my dark hair, so it's actually quite pretty. Even though I think I will likely be totally gray by the time I am fifty, but that's ok too. I rarely wear wny makeup up, a smudge of eye shadow and a tiny bit of eyeliner if any at all.

I found that a little good quality moisturizer was all the thing my skin needed to stay soft and I decided I didn't want the fuss of anything more. Chopped the hair off a few months ago and don't use a comb or brush. Smudge a little gel in the top and leave.

Part of my final transformation to "al-natural" was that being a volunteer firefighter (almost 9 years now) means I have had to get up in the middle of many a night and hit the floor running, if I worry about how I look, well that's just not going to fit into helping my neighbor. So a baseball cap and a stick of gum at three in the morning just has to do.

I don't like the few extra pounds either. But, if I can play with my kids, fight fire, lift patients, tend to things at home, and those types of things, then I guess the few extra pounds are just not going to be at the top of my worry list. My goal is to just feel good physically and try to look good in my uniform. Ok- well maybe I do need to get back to the gym this week.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  11:42:53 AM  Show Profile
I was like Tracy back in my younger days. I was very conscience of wearing makeup, (that took me at least 45 minutes to do in the am), and how stylish my clothes were. I was a real clothes horse and felt that I had to keep up with the other 'in' people. I was never with the 'in' crowd...I was sort of neutral, not a total nerd, but not cool enough. Now I'm 52, and I can't be bothered anymore. Most days, I don't bother with makeup, unless I need a coverup for a blemish or two (yeah...still get them now and then, can you believe it?). I've always used sunscreen, even on cloudy days, ever since my twenties, and now I'm grateful, as I don't have too may wrinkles. My hair has no real grey yet, but it's a dirty washed-out blonde color, and I have it high/low-lighted to brighten it up. My clothes are very comfortable and I'd rather spend my money on something for the home or garden. If I go out to someplace nice, I'll dress up a little, and put on mascara and blush....but that's all.

Edited by - junkjunkie on Jun 22 2007 11:44:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:24:23 PM  Show Profile
OK SO I AM WITH ALEE, I THROW MY HAIR INTO A PONYTAIL AND TAKE OFF WITH MY DAY. MOST DAYS NO MAKEUP, TO MUCH TO DO TO REMEMBER IT. KIDS MAKE YOU REDO THINGS IN LIFE AND MAKE UP WOULD BE ONE OF THOSE THINGS I DONT CARE THAT MUCH ABOUT.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I am only 26, but aging doesn't scare me one bit. I have seen so many beautiful older women, that I see no reason to worry about gray hair and laugh lines. I do not use chemicals on my body and compleatly intend to age with grace. Beauty is loving the woman God created you to be and letting it shine through.

Trina

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Corrine, Only 26 and you have already figured out what is important. Good for you. I love the last sentence of your post. I will write it down so that I can read it from time to time. So true.
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  2:41:57 PM  Show Profile
When I was a teenager I wore makeup every day. I modeled for JC Penney, Sears, and Famous Barr catalogs. Those hot lights melted the makeup into my eyes. I got an eye condition as an allergic reation to a base chemical in makeup. I almost lost my eyesight, went totally blind for 3 months before I got my eyesight back. I haven't worn make up since. I do color my hair though, if not I have the sparkliest white hair you can imagine. I had to quit coloring for one year when my thyroid went out and people would ask if I put glitter in my hair. It's just a freak of nature i guess. i'm going to quit coloring in 3 years. When I get my farm I'm going to become all natural!!

Gateway Girl

Guardian Angels surround me and keep all enemies from me!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile
I rarely wear makeup and I do color my hair. I love red, so guess what color my hair is. I am 50 and have earned every wrinkle. The pounds, ugh, shouldn't have earned quite so many of those!!!!!!

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:54:23 PM  Show Profile
I used to highlight my hair and perm it, but have since given it up. Most days I don't wear any makeup, just a little moisturizer and don't make a big fuss over clothes. The dog doesn't care what I look like, not that I totally don't care what I look like, but why put all kinds of chemicals on your body. My husband and I went to Las Vegas a year ago last February and we had such a culture shock. What is considered pretty here, would not even get a look in Vegas. So much excess. My husband and I joke that the amish hit Vegas when we arrived because we were so plain compared to everyone else. Before going we thought maybe we'd go to a nightclub because neither of us had been before-ha! The ladies standing in line were wearing next to nothing and us in our "common" clothes had no chance, we didn't even try to get in.

Cynthia
www.pinecanyonranch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  5:58:36 PM  Show Profile
I love now that my hair is long enough to pull it up in a clip everyday if I want to.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Mine is long and sorta wavy...almost to my waist now. I tend to wear it the same as I have for years..with longish bangs and a clip on each side..but do wear it in a long braid or messy bun when it is really hot out, or I am doing chores. I keep hair ties and scrunchies in all my apron pockets and my overalls pockets too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Jenny - does your hair grow really fast or have you been growing it for a long time?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been growing out my hair for a long time. I have had to get some aggressive trims in the last year though since it was prone to split ends and was looking...not so nice. Now it is to the bottom of my shoulder blades. I am hoping for another inch or two before the wedding. I love long hair and I really wish I hadn't chopped it off so many times.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm growing my out too - I really wished I hadn't COLORED mine. Now I'm gonna have a line, but not much else I can do. Decided I didn't want chemical head anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  7:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Mine grows pretty fast I guess...but I havn't cut any length other than just small trims in the past 3 years. It hasn't been shorter than mid shoulder blade length in at least 7 years.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic The way you comb your hair..... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page