Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Getting rid of fleas in home and outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting rid of fleas in home and outside Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  8:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies. I know this is not a subject anyone wants to discuss. But since we have been so dry and the winter was REALLY mild we have been having a problem with fleas. The vet even said it was the worst this season. I dont like to have pestisides in the house with my grands around and I have a cat that doesnt go outside but she has them because the dog goes outside and he stays in most of the time. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting rid of these pesty critters?

Thanks
Deborah

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  9:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Deborah I sure feel for ya..we had them so bad where we lived in CAlif before we moved here..especially in summer. I fought them all the time. I resorted to Advantage on the dogs and cats and tried all manner of stuff inside. They were even just in the grass outside..it was awful. I hope someone has lots of great suggestions for you. I was releived when we moved here that there just arn't any fleas! It is wonderful.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  10:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is my story about fleas and how I got rid of them.

My roommate's dog brought fleas into our house (this was two years ago when we _had_ roommates). By the time she told me her dog was infested it looked like his fur was swarming. My dog had a horrible reaction to fleas, but at the time I didn't know why she was scratching herself bloody. I almost putmy dog to sleep because she was mutilating herself and nothing the vet or I was doing was helping. Finally when we realized it was fleas I did A LOT of research.

Here are several things you can do.

First start washing EVERY textile in your house that can be washed- blankets, clothes, pillows, Everything! Even if it has been hanging up or in a drawer.

Buy boxes of borax. Sprinkle the borax on every textile surface that can't be washed. Mattress, box springs, couches, carpets. Leave on for 8-24 hours. Borax is poisonous to animals and children in massive quantities. A 25lb dog would have to eat a whole box before getting ill. So it is pretty much not a concern.

Also you can get a bright light bulb and suspend it over a pan of soapy water. The fleas will jump towards the light and drown in the soapy water.

Any and all pets should get bathed.

Do not use flea collars as they can give your pet nerve damage. Also if you decide to use a flea liquid like Frontline- don't use the grocery store version. It too can give your pet nerve damage (this information was from my vet). If you do use a liquid- use Frontline or Advantix or one of the similar brands supplied by your vet.

Also vacuuming tons is key. It helps capture the fleas and their eggs. During our crisis I vacuumed 2-3 times a day. Initially when you vacuum up the borax, empty your vacuum- bag and all into a sealable plastic bag and get it out of the house- The fleas might jump out before the borax kills them.

I hope this helps!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  05:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
There is also a plant called "Merkel Bush" around these parts. My mom can identify it. You just break off a branch and put it under your sofa or chairs or beds. The fleas will flee! Seriously. I am off to take Husband to the airport to go back to Tunisia today but I will do some more research and get back to you. I dont know if that is the real name or what...but will do my best.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  06:12:27 AM  Show Profile
First: Treat the dog with a good bath and flea repellent such as Frontline (internally which I won't use on breeding dogs), or Bio Spot (liquid applied after the bath and last for 30 days which I use on my dogs not pregnant or who have puppies) Both kinds will kill the flea so that it does not reproduce. This will stop the problem at the dog. Note" I don't believe in flea collars as they do little except make the animals sick. Be very careful when applying flea dips as these can make your dog sick and should be left to a professional.

Second: Treat the house, bedding, etc. I usually bomb the house with a product made by Zodiac. I go this route because I breed dogs and have many. It does not leave a smell, continues to kill for 120 days, and I have not had any problems around newborn puppies or when my children were small. You can check out more natural products too. Just be sure to read the directions twice.

Third: Continue with step one and you should not have anymore problems.

Hope this helps,

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jun 04 2007 06:14:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:08:11 AM  Show Profile
we used to sprinkle salt in the carpet.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:50:33 AM  Show Profile
I don't use flea collars on my cats, but I do put one in the vacuum bag. It kills fleas you might vacuum up. I use Revolution drops on my cats when it is flea season and so far so good. Knock on wood.

Years ago I adopted two little kittens that were eaten up with fleas. At eight weeks of age, one weighed 4 oz. and one weighed 6 oz. They should have been close to 2 pounds but the fleas just were sucking the life out of them. The littlest one couldn't be saved but the other one lived and is now almost 14 years. But she is still only five pounds. The vet said the flea infestation stunted her growth. So please get rid of those nasty fleas.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  6:45:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. Can I use Brewers yeast in my dog and cats food? I usr Advantix...Frontline didnt work. I bath the dog once a week and vaccum a couple times a week. We have hard woods and I only have one rug in the living room and we have carpet in a smal room where my computer is. I spray it and vaccum it a couple times a week. My husband is going to get some granuales for the yard where the dog goes out. Maybe this will work.
Thanks again
Deborah
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  03:40:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Deborah you can give your dogs Brewer's yeast.
I keep with the Advantage. We had trouble with fleas years ago. My parents brought their dogs with them on a visit and left the fleas behind.
We used the granules in the yard and Zodiac on carpets. That was all we had to do. We didn't have dogs at that time. But using something inside and outside took care of the fleas for good. We also had moved into a house that was infested and that was so bad they were biting us so we bombed the house with something by Zodiac i think. We were going to be gone a week anyway and since we were not totally unpacked we just washed things that were already out in the open after we bombed for them. It killed every other bug in the house too! If you want to go the no chemicals it would be better for you and the animals. We did not have animals at the time we did this. We have never had a flea problem here or since we have had dogs(knock on wood) but we do use the Advantage in the summertime.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  07:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the help ladies
Deborah
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile
We use the flea/tick control from the vet. I think it's Advantage. Never have had a problem since then.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

At home with Mama
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Erica
Jacksonville FL
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  06:41:20 AM  Show Profile
all good comments except - Avoid harsh things like frontline and advantix at all costs.. it's not good for your pets or anyone touching them or breathing near them. Yes, Use brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast mixed into your pet's food.. fleas won't go near blood with it in it. Also, one thing I've found that's safe is called pets alive.. you can check it out on this site..
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000015384840

also to treat bites on humans try reallllly hard not to itch, as you can easily scare. try calandula cream to disenfect and help with the itch. (breast milk works great too, if available )

www.at-home-with-mama.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
For bedding and linens that can't be laundered, seal them up tight in plastic garbage bags for a few days until the little nasties suffocate, then shake them out well.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Use frontline plus on the dog, make sure he/she stays away from the cat and small children for atleast a couple hours after application. The fleas do not leave the animal to lay the eggs, they lay them on the animal and the animal will shake or brush up against something in the house and the eggs will fall off. The remain in the carpet for awhile (I had to know the exact life cycle right down to the number of days in each stage in vet school, but some of it has left me) and develop, then the animal will pick them up again and the cycle continues. The best way to get the eggs out of your house non-chemically is to vaccuum like there's no tomorrow. Vaccuum everyday or even after the dog has been inside(so multiple times per day may be needed initially). There are flea treatments for cats out there, but unless your problem is persistent, I would treat the dog and the house first. Cats are just so sensitive to pesticides. Anyways that's my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  10:49:08 AM  Show Profile
www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html

This is a very good site with holistic approaches to ridding ourselves of these pint sized pests! Good luck, I am gearing up for the same fight here in France with our three cats!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I have not had the ahem, honor, of dealing with a bad case of fleas, but when I was in my first trimester, we were cleaning out my grandmother's estate, and her carpet had gotten fleas- I didn't want to use poisons, so we cleaned it out with borax- I wouldn't "sprinkle" it, I would grind it deeply into the carpet, and make sure it was amply applied. Leave it for 24 hours, and vacuum. That was enough for our mild flea problem.

Some other things I've read about and saved in my mental file are southernwood strewn about your floors and between your mattress. And pennyroyal planted in your yard will keep the fleas away from your yard- plant it near doors and close to the house. Let it spread- this is a pretty permanent option, just so you know. :)You can also strew it inside. And feed your pets garlic on their food. And there are essential oils you can put on your pet's collar (in the back where they can't reach), but I would save that as a last resort, since animals can't process EOs the way we can, and it can kill them- particularly cats.
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  2:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
From just my trial and errors with fleas after running an animal care service for 17 yrs and having hoards of cats and dogs of my own ( all my dogs have been inside dogs and the cats are inside/outside ones) plus I used to raise ferrets and thet get fleas too. I have used anything I could get my hands on, from pennyroyal oil rubbed on collars to the brewers yeast and garlic feeding thing. But for me (my experience only) they never really worked. They say if yor animal has healthy skin, there is nothing for the fleas to feed off of. But that is all theory, lol. As much as I hate to put the toxic stuff on my animals, it can be pretty nasty when the fleas invade your home and start feeding off of the humans that live there. I too have resorted to Advantage, just for fleas though. In my area of Nothern NY we are seeing ticks like we have never seen before. And a few of my friends switched to the treatment that has the tick stuf in it, but they are finding it is NOT working on tics, and it costs more.
So far we have found ticks just on our cats and we simply tweeze them off and dump them into alcohol to kill them. Last year we were still having ticks even after a hard frost. I think it is like everything else, and goes in cycles.

good luck ladies with whatever works,
Trace

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting rid of fleas in home and outside Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page