Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's your favorite side dish? Pinkroses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your favorite side dish? Pinkroses Next Topic  

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:33:29 PM  Show Profile
I would like to know what your favoirte sized dishes are.
I am really tired of noodles and rice.
I think I am in a slump with what I have been cooking.
Same old same old.
Do any of yall get in the "same old same Old"? pinkroses

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Garlic mashed potatoes is my favorite. I like to use different types of potatoes, but right now my favorite is All-Blue. I boil the potatoes in chicken stock with a couple of cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. When they're done, I drain off the chicken stock (reserving some) and mash. If the potatoes are a little dry, I add back some of the chicken stock until I get that perfect creamy consistency.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile
I love baked potatoes, and once the veggies start coming I love sliced cukes and tomatoes; I also like having applesauce at the table. when we are on the run, which is usual for this time of year, I use a lot of the bag salads. Nothing fancy, but I agree, variety is nice!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile
I love homemade mac and cheese. Also, I make potatoes that are cut into chunks, then I put a little olive oil on them, parmesan cheese, garlic, pepper, rosemary and salt. Put them in the oven (400) for about 25-30 minutes and they are done (make sure they are brown on and a little crispy. I turn them once after about 15 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile
We love perogies here too. You can boil them or fry them. We also like fresh string beans lightly sauteed with butter and garlic.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile
These are a couple of our stand-bys, and honestly, we never tire of them.

Baked sweet potatoes with butter, or my dh likes his with butter, brown sugar and pecans

Grilled asparagus with sea salt, olive oil and fresh ground pepper

rice pilaf with pecans, fresh herbs and garlic, cooked in broth. You can put whatever you want in it, so it changes constantly!

Boiled fingerling or new potatoes with fresh parmesan, parsley and butter (broil them for a little crust)

I don't do too many "complex" sides that I have to have a lot of ingredients because my dh is so finicky. I also just don't have the time during the work week. I love perogies, too! My favorite is the cheddar, potatoe and jalapeno. YUM! and so low fat! Simple works just fine for us...

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Potatoes: mashed, baked, boiled, cubed,fried
I also love green beans!!

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Simply Stitches
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Humm. sounds like baked potatoes and potatoes are the hit here. Ha
I am Diabetic typ2 so. I have to only have a wee small one.
I have never heard of pecans and brown sugar on them before.
But, I have never heard of anyone putting jelly on one eighter till my Vitemanees sister-in-law did it. sheila
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  06:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Green beans with bacon bits. Homemade scalloped potatoes. Corn on the cob. Cucumber salad with tomatos and feta cheese.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  07:12:03 AM  Show Profile
In the summer, my favorite side dishes are the ones my mom made- boiled potatoes, cold, with a dressing of mayonnaise and red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and celery salad. Celery cut into tiny dice, with mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. They are just yummy, simple and refreshing.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  10:26:42 AM  Show Profile
I also choose baked sweet potatoes as my favorite, although I haven't tried it with the brown sugar and pecans. Sounds yummy! That topping also sounds like it would be heavenly on winter squash too.

There is an orange poppy seed dressing out made by Caroline's (found it at the grocery store) that is awesome with canned green beans. It is now the ONLY way I can eat canned green beans other than GBC (green bean casserole).

Thickly sliced (fresh out of the garden) tomatoes with a blob of Miracle Whip or Mayo on top. This is especially good paired with hot fresh corn on the cob.

Pierogies, Raviolis, etc. are also great, esp. homemade ones...DH loves homemade gnocci served with a butter garlic sauce or a cream sauce.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  2:56:14 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE zucchini and yellow squash cubed and cooked in a skillet with a touch of butter. Sprinle with paremsean just before serving. They are also really good sliced lengthwise and grilled.

My hubby loves French Fries but I would rather my carbs and starch come from bread and pasta so I usually slice up a red pepper and call that my "french Fries".

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  4:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I love the pole green beans with the Va. country ham and new potatoes.'
I remember my deceased Grandmother made a county dish called Scalled lettuce.
It was good too.
All these side dishes sound yummy.
I think I am going to get some red potatoes and fresh green beans this weekend to fix. Yummy. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Scalled lettuce...is that like fried cabbage with red wine vingegar, and garlic? My daddy used to make us that...

Bluewrenn...sweet potaotes are sooo good with brown sugar and pecans or walnuts, but I just use butter and make my calories elsewhere. It's good for a treat, though.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  5:03:44 PM  Show Profile
My new favorite side dish is baked onion rings. Saw this "healthy" recipe for onion rings so I thought I'd try them. They were delicious, easy to make and crispy. You dip the onion rings in egg white and then bread crumbs with spices in it. I took a shortcut and used Italian bread crumbs. Put on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and Bake at 400 for 20 min or lightly browned. Only down side is that you're stuck with the egg yokes. I solved that problem with using Just Egg Whites I think it's called from the dairy section. Worked out fine. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Scalled lettuce is , the leafy lettuce . Or wattercress.
You fry bacon or fat back bacon. like you use for brown beans.
You can add some green onions with the green tops and the onion choppe.
You take the bacon grease and pour over the lettuce or water cress.
The leafy lettuece is what Gran used
You, then mix it all up.
The bacon grease should be hot.
Gran would make cornbread. She make cornbread from the corn meal ( white.) She didn't ever use the yellow. and she never put any flour or egss in it. Just cornmeal and some lard, ( as she called it)
and buttermilk. She always made hers with buttermilk.
She would have the salad and the bacon and cornbread and butter and buttermilk for supper.
When Gran fixed her biscuits. She had a large brown bowl like the ones you see in anitque market.
She would pinch off the doug and pat it in her hands and make her biscuits that way. She never ever rolled out her biscuits with a rolling pan.
Her bisuits always were good. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  5:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Mama's succotash! Oh, My! xo
Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's your favorite side dish? Pinkroses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page