Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Am I the only person Next Topic  

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Ok I am begginning to think I am weird. Am I the only person in the world that takes my commitments serious. Whether it be a big commitment or a simple one like a swap. I feel I have given my word and people are counting on me so I honor what I say. After signing up for something I take care of it within a week or two. Because I know if I let it slide life will happen.If I can't do something I say I am going to do then I let people know. I am getting the vibes that commitments don't matter to other people unless it affects them personally.Just wondering. Am I normal??
Hugs,
Elizabeth

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Edited by - candismom on May 31 2007 08:11:34 AM

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  07:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
I think everyone seems to look at these things differently. I know for myself no matter how small the commitment may seem it is important for me to follow through. Others judge commitments on whether or not the thing will affect them or not. Also, I believe we have a tendency to make priority lists in our minds and then we may decide whether or not a swap or whatever really is a priority.
Plus, I believe it is easier to let something like a swap not be a priority because of the medium we use to do them and we aren't really talking face to face.
just my opinion.
hugs,
Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Well for those of us who are beleivers the Bible says Let your Yes be Yes and your No be No. So I try to do that.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Personally I try not to be too too hard on people. I know from my own life that my good intentions sometimes go kaput. I cant control much anymore it seems. And I am a control freak. I did get my apron out by the deadline but barely. And to me, it was a big deal for me to follow thru but I have also learned that when I am hard on people about such things it ends up biting me in the bum. And I dont like my bum bit. I try to put things in perspective when I am judging others. Like is this life or death? If it isnt then, this too shall pass. If it really really sticks in your craw, then don't do the swaps. Let someone else have the headaches if they want to do them. I agree totally that if you can't do it after you have agreed then let the person know immediately. And frankly I dont know what you are talking about in specifics here but I am going to assume someone hasnt held up their end of something. And if you have communicated with them already, I dont know what else you might do. I hope it gets resolved. This is supposed to be a fun place to hang out. Without discord.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, myself I am in Canada and I need to be done earlier to meet my commitment so I do not take on so much I cannot meet them. Even though sometimes life gets in the way people should feel enough respect for themselves and others to at least let them know. This is frustrating for all involved and people will not want to host or swap so we can only hope people hear the message, tighten thier apron strings and abide by thier farmgirl heart and take it more seriously.This is meant not to offend nor to be negative only to make people think, farmgirlhugs and remember the deadline is the date hostess should have it so we can all move on to next swap!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Holly, too true,(yes=yes) followed by, honor your word if you give it.

On another note, how are things going? did you find a place to live in or around Ft. Riley?
Hope all is well & you are setteled in for the summer.
Tell Dorthy & Toto I sad "Hi", ( I'm a former Ft. Riley res.)

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on May 31 2007 12:37:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile
I do not think we should be pointing fingers at anyone but I do think people need to care and respect each other here and understand frustration sometimes does need to be aired. I do not think Elizabeth was pointing fingers she was just frustrated. But the point is less and less people will want to swap if it is not understood and deadlines met or at least let it be known ahead they are not going to make it. It seems the only way to get message across other than not swap. Hopefully guilt will prevail! In your case Susan your partner was aware so you know she was not directing it your way,but people should have a right to air their frustrations. I think this is the topic she is really getting at, and I think others are thinking it, and I am just bring it out in open. It is no big deal, just trying to make people think before they act.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on May 31 2007 1:02:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I understand your view in regards to swaps and being punctual and following through. I do however know that things can and will happen in life that can screw up even the best of intentions. BUT it is not a place to argue or fight, put down or belittle. Maybe take a moment to step back and see things from anothers perpective is a good thing when we find ourselves offended by others behavior. I know I have been offended at times but then I try and see things through others eyes and look at the many good things before being so quick to judge.
This may or may not be the place to say this but I am reminded of the Farmgirl card I got from the farm. It spoke of all the things that make us farmgirls. One thing that brings us all here is the iopportunity to come together from all different backgrounds, beliefs, religions, demographics and share, love, support each other wihtout all the fighting and arguing of other sites. Let us be reminded of just who we are and what this place means.

So though this may not have been directed at anyone here- it was taken as such.

beth
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth I have noticed this about the world in general lately also - mostly businesses not following through with what they say they will do. It bothered me and I internalized it and then I found out that the headaches I was waking up with each morning were caused by 233/132 blood pressure. After a lot of soul searching and the fear of God put into me by my physician, I had to decide that it just wasn't worth getting upset over. I agree with the other gals when it comes to individuals. We can all have good intentions, but a lot of us have really complicated lives with lots of kids, animals, etc. and way more to take care of than others. We can be really good responsible people with good intentions, but when it comes down to it, priorities are always going to be our families over fun activities. Business however is another story. If they expect to stay in business, they have an obligation to put their customers first. I have had to really realign my thinking and put things in perspective becauseI was seriously putting my health in danger.
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:35:20 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Beth. It has hurt me to see even the slightest discord. I think some things should be handled privately with emails. We have lots of new gals here with us the past couple days and I'd hate for them to think we are like other forums because we all know that IS NOT TRUE. I think the best thing is to let it go. It has been resolved I believe. Let's not continue with conversation that is not going to accomplish anything. I love you all, let's remember who we are and why we're here. ~~Blessings In Christ, Mikki Jo

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Katmom,

Actually no not yet! It's been very frustrating everything is either to small, or needs to much work, or is really far from post, or doesn't allow chickens and goats.

It's rather discouraging.......am trying to trust that God knows what's going on but I sure wish He would tell me!

Thanks for asking though!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on May 31 2007 1:38:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Mikki,

Amen sister. MaryJane has given us a great gift here. We shouldnt forget that. Or forget to thank her occasionally.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Mikki..

Susan.. big smooches girl!!

Love you all ladies!!
My Farm Girl Sisters!!!
Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:46:30 PM  Show Profile
gurlfrenz .. i find that sometimes in life .. we wander off the 'beaten trail' .. but usually find our way back. i know we are all 'gurlfrenz' here .. and if sumthin' doesn't come through .. there is probably a very good reason. a few times i haven't gotten something back (or didn't get paid for a little sumpthin' i sold) .. but .. i know it is most likely just because someone forgot or 'trials and tribulations' visited upon my friend. i might send a little reminderette with the hopes that all is well. and almost every time i do hear back and get my swap or pennies ... and the very few times it doesn't .. i jus' consider it a RAOK. a lot less frustratin' to me that-a-way;.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  5:58:53 PM  Show Profile
I like you Frannie. You really made me smile! That may have sounded dorky, but it's true. I've had a yucky week and that helped eventhough it(my bad week) had nothing to do with the forum!

Mandi

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle

Edited by - threebusybees on May 31 2007 6:00:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile
I love y'all. And it makes my heart sing to see how valuable our friendships are to each other, and how we realize that our "sisterhood" is bigger than our differences! YAY!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  7:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Amen!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  8:26:25 PM  Show Profile
You know, I always try to finish what I have committed to swap. It may not always get there on time, but it does get there. :) Unfortunately life just sometimes gets in the way, not allowing me to get to things when I want to. I am sure that it is the same for everyone. I always try to be understanding of those that can't get it done in the appointed time frame. I am probably the biggest offender. ;)And trust me, I am haunted until I get it done.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I understand that things can get away from us. But I am like Karin and if I am supposed to send or give something I will do it or I will drive myself crazy until I do it. Like right now I am sending something that I got for Nancy G. that I said I would get her when I won my aprons, just a little something to say thank you. It took me long enough, and normally it doesnt take me so long, but things have been crazy here!
I love being part of this forum and think that everyone here has good intentions, if not then they will eventually be killed with kindness and change their ways! ;)

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Am I the only person Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page