Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anybody play an instrument?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anybody play an instrument? Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  10:17:08 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to learn to play the bluegrass fiddle and when I was in San Francisco last year with DH, I found one at a flea market so I bought it. I've been messing with it a little bit, bought some self-teaching books, and hoping I can get a tune out of it one day. When I was a kid, my parents made me take accordian lessons for about 6 years - I HATED it but now I wish I could try it again. My mom sold my accordian at a garage sale though. Anybody else play the fiddle or anything else? Banjo, mandolin? Any tips for learning?

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  11:24:50 PM  Show Profile
I play the guitar, and I played the violin for a year or so back in elementary school. Unfortunately, the only thing I think I could get a fiddle to do right now is squeak back at me! However...I just LOVE bluegrass. I have this fantasy that I could be some sort of wildly good mandolin player, but I've never even picked one up!

As far as learning goes, the hardest part for the first little while after I haven't played for a bit is toughening up my fingers. MAN can those strings do a number on them! I've learned the hard way (many times, I'm ashamed to admit!) NOT to play until you have raised blisters on almost every fingertip. It's so tempting at first - just take it easy, play through the pain sometimes, and then give it a rest until those fingers toughen up.

I sure wish we lived closer - what a great incentive for me to pick up the ol' guitar again! I played all through college for spending money at cafes - and I really haven't played in the last 5..6..7 years. Congratulations on getting your instrument! You'll just LOVE it!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  11:36:16 PM  Show Profile
I would love to learn to play the fiddle too. I have my grandpa's old fiddle..my mom sent it to me a couple years ago. It needs some work and someday I plan to be able to play it. I am so NOT musical and wish I were. That is so cool that you play the guitar Libbie! My girls both play piano and the older one also plays the flute. Younger one wants to start playing violin in middle school. So far the boys havn't started an instrument. Travis is considering the trumpet though, as he will be in middle school next year. I am hoping Dalton will want to play piano. We have a wonderful and very patient teacher here in town that the girls go to.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  05:26:10 AM  Show Profile
I had 13 years of piano lessons.

Don't let the number fool you - In the 20 years that I've been away from home, I still can read music pretty well, but I've lost the ability to tell you anything about what I'm playing - meaning I remember *how* to play the notes, but I don't remember *exactly* what they are.

I also played flute for four or five years. Gals with big hands have no business playing the flute. What a disaster! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  05:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I had about 8 years of piano lessons, but always wanted to play the guitar! And like you, Kaylyn, I can read music, but I couldn't explain anything about it! :( I also wish I could play the harmonica. Or the jug(have friends in a jug band-it's just such happy music). :D

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:16:05 AM  Show Profile
I play the flute and piano and can manage a tune on the sax (the fingerings are the same as the flute....just totally different ombuchre!).

Have played flute since I was 9 - was in band until I was a sophmore in college. Haven't played conisistently since then but I do still play. Started piano at 5 - lessons until around 12/13 but again here and there since then. However I can still read music, tell you notes and have played the piano for church when I have advance notice and can practice.

Blessings,

Holly

ps -- I always wanted to play the cello! DD #2 was taking Violin lessons in CA haven't found a teacher here yet, she's taught herself some on the guitar and DD #1 started guitar lessons in CA but hasn't continued.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on May 31 2007 06:17:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeannieC
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Jeanne
Wylie Texas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile
I think the fiddle is extremely cool, I love that instrument! My friend used to play violin in elementary school but gave up after a few years. There's times when she wished she never gave it up now. :-)
I have to laugh at the accordion statement, I used to play and wasn't too thrilled, lol! I wanted to learn piano but my parents got the accordion instead. :-D But mine is long gone, and I would love to get another to play again. I do have a small piano here, I'm teaching myself to play, but I haven't really sat down and practiced for months now...but I hope to make the time and do that very soon :-D

Hugs..
Jeannie

~ Jeannie and Jim's Little Country Acre ~ http://countrygranny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:03:44 AM  Show Profile
I can play the saxaphone (alto, tenor and Bari), the clairinet, the flute, the guitar, recorder and ukalale.

When I was in HS I won the top award in the state for saxaphone and was invited to play with the US Army Band for President Clinton who is well known for his saxaphone playing!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile
In Jr & Sr High School I played the clarinet. Not sure if I could rememeber which end to blow in to now!! I have my clarinet packed away somewhere...I think?!?
I would luv to lean how to play the Autoharp or Mandoline. Maybe once I get settled into my new home in Wash., I can scour the flea markets or music stores that sell old/used instruments and find one of those to tinker with to see if I can self teach/learn. Hope I don't scare off the wildlife when I practice!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on May 31 2007 08:14:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:55:51 AM  Show Profile
I play a mountain dulcimer. I would love to learn hammered dulcimer and fiddle too. Only so many hours in the day, however, and with a full time job, husband, knitting, spinning, quilting, sewing, reading, etc....... I'm just not sure how I could fit it in!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Funny you should ask! This has become a standing joke in our family . . . the local newspaper messed up on info. for my antique show in their calendar of events. Instead of having me as the contact person, it said, "Brenda Buckingham playing music both days at 10 am! I am not sure what kind of music I was to play . . . the jug, the saw, my armpit (a talent my three boys have perfected! LOL!) I took flute for about a month in the 6th grade and the alto sax for about a month in the 7th grade. That is the extent of my training!

I have always loved the fiddle. I have a cousin who is an award winning fiddler. Someday perhaps I will learn it. My husband is an incredible drummer. He has played in many symphonies and professional "gigs" (I hate the term gig . . . sounds so sleazy!) He had the chance to be a professional career drummer and always wanted to be the next Doc Severnson or something, but he knew it wasn't a life for a family, so chose to settle down with little ol' me and make babies instead! But he still gets a lot of opportunities and once he retires from his "real job" someday, I hope he can do more. In the meantime I guess I'll just continue to provide music at my antique shows . . . just wish the newspaper would fill me in on what exactly it is I play?! LOL!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  11:58:04 AM  Show Profile
I play the piano. and read music to. I can play some things by ear.
I have a hammered dulicemer.. I can play Greensleeves on it.
I got it at a craft show years ago. It it really heavy.
I haven't gotten a table for it. so, I can't play it much until then.I
I have always wanted to play the harp. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - your post made me laugh so hard - I love misprints! Maybe you could take a little toy xylaphone and entertain your customers with it!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I play the piano, and have played everything from cymbals, hand bells, bells (xylephone style), chimes (big brass tubes), snare drum, bass drum, and was trying to teach myself the claironet. From 6th to 10th grade I was in the percussion line for our Concert band.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls.
I've amused myself for about a year and a half now by playing the ukulele. A friend handed me her extra at a party and wouldn't take no for an answer - even when I told her I hadn't played a thing since I played piano as a kid! She insisted I could play quite a few songs by just learning three chords. I must say she was right - and I've never had so much fun since. And when Erik, here at the farm, saw how much fun I was having, he decided he should play too! We play a few times a week, and I think this is the one thing that's helped me learn and improve more than anything - having a play partner. AND - I discoverd I LOVE to sing! How fun is that? I heartily recommend the uke as a beginner instrument - it's easy to play, sounds good, is very portable, and you can find lots of music on the internet. Then just grab a friend to help you along! When someone asked George Harrison if he had advice for someone who wanted to learn to play the guitar, he said, "pick up a uke instead!" I've also heard that teaching yourself something like this later in life keeps your mind active and helps with memory. And Lord knows, we can all use help with that!
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  5:03:55 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea Carol..now to find a uke! I love it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  04:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I played flute from 5th grade 'till 12th and was in the marching band for all 4 years of high school. Took private lessons for 10 years. thought about marching in college, but decided not because the band was small and sloppy and their uniforms had the q-tip hats. I still have my flute, but haven't played in years!

Has anyone ever seen those really cool DCI drum and bugle corp compeptitions! I have seen 2 live competitions and will never forget it.

Sure do wish my small town had an orchesrta, and can't really afford to drive 30 miles to the bigger city to join one.

Around here, the big group is blue grass. When people are good, it's fun to listen to. Amazing how these people never need a lick of music.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  05:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i stand behind the guitar and sing, but there is much debate over whether i really "play" the guitar.
for several years, about 8, in my younger days i was in a bluegrass band and thank goodness, we had a real guitar player, cause sometimes when i was singing i would look down and my hands were resting on top of the guitar.
i can manage to play, but i have a funny style, i actually fingerpick more like a banjo style and my fingers wont cooperate with strumming.
i have always thought if i could really accompany myself on the guitar i would be very dangerous, cause i would be one of those folks who just say "have ya heard this one...." and i would be non stop singing all the time.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  08:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Frannie-

I can just imagine you wandering around your garden with your guitar singing to all the birds!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  08:53:30 AM  Show Profile
ha! you mus' be talkin' to fran from texas .. cuz' i can't carry a tune in a bucket!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  09:28:52 AM  Show Profile
I started playing the fiddle about 4 years ago and was picking it up pretty well but my instructor only knew how to teach by ear and numbers. I became disinterested because I wanted to be able to pick up any book and learn the songs but I can't read music. So I'm still trying to find another teacher in my area who can teach violin plus teach me to read music.

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tina!

Reading sheet music is actually pretty simple once you learn what everything means. Mostly it just takes practice to get better at it. I found this website- it should help you learn how to read sheet music if you want!
http://readsheetmusic.info/

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Tina - we'd make a good pair because I can read the music and relate it to the strings, I just can't make my fingers move quickly enough to make any sense of the sounds coming out!!
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  5:00:55 PM  Show Profile
I have a fiddle too...I would love to become a "fiddler". I can play a few songs....but I sound like a 5th grade beginner student. Like Kathy says with a full-time job....well my signature line says it all!

"So many interests so little time!"

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anybody play an instrument? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page