Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Made the mistake of getting a horse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Made the mistake of getting a horse Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  1:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'll start by saying that I've always been harsh on people that do what I just did (buy an animal and then change their mind) but now I have a whole new perspective here. My 2 boys, ages 16 & 6 have wanted a horse since forever. We have a dairy cow, steers, chickens, had pigs so I figured I'd do what I did with all of those animals....Read everything I could lay my hands on and talk to everyone I knew that has/had a horse and go from there.

Well, a little over a month ago I purchase a Thoroughbred Mare and have come to the conclusion that I am not the horse person I thought I was. I don't mind all the work associated with them. I do love riding them, but I just not as fond of them as I thought I was. My boys, unfortunately share this feeling and now they're pretty much over the whole horse thing. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I jumped the gun with this whole horse thing and would like to find a home where she would be loved and appreciated like she should be.

She's 15.1 hands, Dark Bay Mare approx 23 yrs old. She's been used for western pleasure and gaming and would be a great starter horse.

I'm asking what I paid for her, $400, which INCLUDES ALL HER TACK. (Saddle, bridle, blanket, halter, lead rope)

Please email me at phillipsfamilyfarm@yahoo.com if you are interested in Trixie. We are located in Oregon and if you're interested, you would need to provide transporation for her.

Thank you -
Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Edited by - FlipFlopFarmer on May 30 2007 1:26:47 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carla-

I am so sorry to hear that your experience has not been what you wanted it to be with Trixie. Can you contact the people you bought her from to ask for aid in selling her?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  6:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Bummer. Kind of why I always recommend people spend six months taking lessons. You can generally tell in that time frame if you really like them or not. Cheaper than taking a loss with feed/vet/farrier.

Hope you can find her a good home. That's meat market price, but I don't know if they're buying right now, so you may luck out. Plus, being summer, folks aren't thinking about winter feed. Makes it easier to sell

Here's another forum that you may consider listing her on: http://homesteadingtoday.com There's an equine board there with quite a bit of traffic. HTH!

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  7:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Well Carla that's definatly a WAY.. terrific Price! So I know your going to find someone for her!!
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you all..
But you never know until you actually own one..
& it's not like this was your very first BBQ!!
You have other livestock.. Who would have thought??
So don't be so hard on yourself.. you gave it enough time..
It's just not what you anticipated..
Plus.. Thoroughbred's aren't for everyone either..
23 years old.. 5 years old.. or even 40.. I had a 40 year old that was such a wicked old witch that if i was pulling her out of her stall.. my boarders would run like a cheep pair of k-mart nylons to go get their own horses out of the pasture.. She was so awful to other horses!! But was fine with people..
You just never know!
You'll find the right fit for your girl..
Good Luck Sister!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I used to want a horse when I was younger, so one summer I got a job at an Arabian horse ranch cleaning stalls in return for riding lessons. I enjoyed working with the animals but quickly discovered I didn't really care enough for horses to want one of my own. I left after about 6 months working, and about 30 hours of riding lessons I didn't take.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  03:07:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Carla - I'm sure we've all experienced "buyer's remorse" in one form or another - I'm just sorry that yours happened to be such a large form! I just KNOW that you'll be able to find her a good home, and, hey - as Kathie said - sometimes we just have to try something "for real" to decide if it's for us or not. That's sure okay!

So...here's to a great new home for your girl! - sending good thoughts to ya'!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm having a professinal come out and observe me handling her. 9 times out of 10, if an animal has an issue, it has a lot to do with the handler. I've cooled down a bit and thinking a little more clearly now and I think that perhaps it might work out after all. =0) We'll see. She's already broken my trust in her.

Thanks for all of your support and not telling me I'm an idiot cuz boy do I feel like one about right now! =0)

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carla- What happened between you two? Did she try and bite/nip? Barge through? Kick? All of the above?

I think you are making a wise choice in having a professional come out and observe and give help. Perhaps you two will work it out. If not, perhaps your professional will be able to help you find a new home for her.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile
Well she's much more flighty than I think a 23 yr old horse should be. Grooming and hoof care goes fine but when I try to saddle her up, she gets super nervous and ends up freaking out about something. I went to put pony stirrups on her that she is very familiar with from her prior home, let her smell them and everything and when I was walking back towards the saddle to put them on, they "clicked" together an made a noise and that freaked her out. Then I went to put the bridle on and a leather strap touched her on the opposite side I was on and she panicked about that.

I'm just thinking w/my inexperience, she might not be as stable as she seemed to be when she was at her prior home.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  6:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carla-

That is rough. I know that can really shake your confidence when a horse acts like that. I am hopeful that your professional can help you work through this though as it sounds like a conditioning and training issue rather than bad temperament. I have seen many skittish horses respond really well to patience, love, and firm training. I would never be mean to a horse, but you have to take the lead in the relationship. One facet of the problem might be that she doesn't yet respect you. Your horsy professional will probably highly recommend round pen sessions.

I hope it goes well! Keep us updated. And if it doesn't work out I am sure you will find a loving home for her.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh that is really bad. Just from the sound of your post, I don't feel this is a good match and if you can find her a different home, do so (which you already know!). I was close to Molalla the other day and could have looked at her altho her age is a definite deterrent for me.

Please be careful in her new home or call the people you bought her from and see if you can send her back or will point people your way. Don't be in a hurry. Take your time and go by your first gut reaction to people and see how she reacts to them.

In Molalla there are some world class horsefolks (like Olympians) and maybe someone around there could help you. I'm thinking of the huge horse place about 10 miles east from I-5 on the road that starts out from where Wal-mart sits...does that help you? hehehe... Sorry, I've been there but can't remember the name of the road.

Get some pro help, whether selling or just needing help. Best!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Carla, I was gone over the weekend so didn't keep up with what was going on.

The age of a horse can't be a gaurantee of it's placidness, unfortunately. And yet, even experience people will generalize and tell you to avoid young and buy 'vintage'. Being that I've experienced the opposite at each end, I don't tend to do that. I had a gelding that we put down at 32; he still thought he was a three year old. I'd have loved for Darling to have grown up with him, but due to older injuries he wasn't fit for me to work his energy level out, and he just wasn't safe for an inexperienced rider. And he was ten years older than your mare!

At the other end, I once had a four year old who'd pack any one, any where. I put my very novice sister in law on her (she only rode when she came to visit once a year, and she did it poorly), and when my SIL wanted to lope off ahead of everyone, that little mare did it willingly and without any hesitation. When my SIL wanted to stop, she stopped. No special training, it was just personality.

I hope you can get it worked out, but if you can't, it's probably just a poor fit; don't give up on horses all together (buying a horse is like buying a shoe, what fits me isn't neccessarily going to fit you) I had passed your info along to a couple of TB folks I know, so if for some reason you find yourself getting emails, you can blame me

Please Vote For Me!

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:24:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, I had my Aunt and her friend Peggy come out yesterday and work with me and Trixie and it very, very well. She was the PERFECT horse. It's like when you're really, really sick and you make a Dr.'s Appt and then all of a sudden, you're fine. That's how it all played out yesterday.

There couldn't have been more noise and distractions around us and she was as calm as a sleeping baby. She saddled up perfectly. We unsaddled her, resaddled her, and took forever going through everything again and she was perfectly patient. Peggy rode her, both boys rode her and she listened and behaved so well.

There were 2 things that I think were going on.

1 - I am sooo nervous when I am working with her by myself and I think she really picks up on that. When I was with her previous owner and now with Peggy, I am totally relaxed and well...so is she. I just need to work with her more and get more comfortable with it and she'll be more comfortable too. I was trying to be so careful and slow about everything that I did so as not to hurt or upset her in anyway and she's not used to being handled that way.

2 - When I was trying to put the saddle on I was trying to avoid just "slapping" the saddle on her and so I was lifting it up high and placing it on her and that made her very nervous. Peggy said that in her line of vision she likely saw that as something REALLY big and above her and that freaked her out a bit and she was already nervous because I was so it just sort of escalated from there.

So...just as I thought....it's NOT THE HORSE...It's me!!!

I'm still not 100% convinced that we're going to keep her but we're not ready to give up yet either.

Thanks Tracey for passing along my info. If I do decide that we are not the right family for her, I will look to find one that is.

Any other advice you have for me in working with her to help calm MY nerves other than just practice, practice, practice?

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  1:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Spend time with her, just walk around outside with her. Do lots of noisy stuff right beside her. More for your benefit than hers. Just get used to her. I used to just ride the horses bareback when was younger. After awhile they are like big dogs. Good luck.

Can you find someone else with a horse to come ride with you so you will build up confidence?

Rebecca

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Lessons! Take them. Even if they're on someone else's horse; it'll help build your knowledge base, which in turn will give you confidence. I'm happy it's working out, and will pass that along as well

Please Vote For Me!

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile
I had a 19 yr old QH mare who would unload your tush in a NY minute and then I once had a Morgan 2 yr old filly who I sold to an 8 yr old girl (against everyone's advice) and they stayed together till the Morgan died at age 13 from colic. You just never know.

Yep, you're right. Most horse problems are people caused but the horse personality definitely figgers in. If you click with her, you click, if not, there are plenty of other horses in the world too. In this day and age, if you aren't happy with her, turn her and find something else.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Made the mistake of getting a horse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page