horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:31:04 AM  Show Profile
I have two nannies that I am milking. I'm putting the milk into the freezer for when we need it with the newborns. I have search the internet for suppliers on milk pails and such. I haven't had any luck. Also need advice on how to strain the milk. Plus, oh how to store it after such.
Thanks,
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't anymore but have for years before we got Mona the cow. I love Caprine supply. They have a great website, are very helpful, and I think the prices are good too. I used a small "bizzy liz" strainer (from Caprine supply) for years when I had goats. I have a much much bigger 4 qt. strainer now, with the cow. They carry those too. I use disposable paper filters and it works out just great. THey are very inexpensive (the filters) and I feel good about things being sanitary. You can also try Hoeggers supply.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Laura-

I worked on a ranch that had several milking nannies. Since we had so many we would take to pails out to milk with, plus one to wash with. I will do a little searching for milking links for you but the best type of pail is just a good solid stainless steel pail. Then you should be able to buy milk screens to pour the milk through. These are usually cone shaped anyway so you won't need any extra equipment.

At the ranch after we milked we would screen the milk, and pour it into glass milk jars (half-gallon or quarts) which I have a local supplier. So if you need glass jars, please email me and we can work something out.

After the milk is poured into the glass jars, it was put into a sink filled with water and ice to help it cool down as quickly as possible. The health department says that hot foods should be cooled down to 40 degrees in 40 minutes, so I would assume that is the same for milk.

Then we would just take a small piece of saran wrap and a rubber band and make out own lid. Then into the fridge until we wanted some to drink! Yum! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Jenny the best supplier I found is Caprine. You can also go to the American Dairy Goat Assoc. website and they have a long list of suppliers. Also you can find so dairy farms near you for assistance and also they can get you in touch with local sales - sometimes our local 4h also has sales of used equipment. Another way to go at this is to look up local cheese producers on the web. Alot of them could point you in the right direction.

Good Luck and get those arms in shape.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  2:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you google "milk filters" you will get a lot of links to buying milking supplies. I just realized though that the filters were round, but since we used a funnel to get the milk into the glass bottles, the funnel was what made the filter seem cone shaped. :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  2:50:11 PM  Show Profile
thanks, I went to Caprine Supply and ordered the complete milker supplies. It was just the basic stuff. Was cheaper than the other places. Can't wait for it to get here. Just like a kid, waiting on Christmas. Oh, I'm soooooo excited. I'm a real milker now.
Thank you.
Laura
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  3:13:07 PM  Show Profile
It will come fast..they are quick shippers! Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  03:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laura! How's the milking coming? I'm so excited for you - and I noticed on your blog that you have a recipe for goat's milk fudge?!?!?! You MUST share it if it's good - I'm envious that you're milking something - I just can't wait to become one of the "milking farmgirls," too!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  05:57:43 AM  Show Profile
That was some great advise. I printed it all out for "later". I'm trying to learn all I can about goat milking right now. We want dairy goats and have heard that Nubians are the best for fat content. But I don't have a clue how to buy a goat!
Should I buy several, or just a pregnant doe? Is "doe" the right word?
If I only have two or three, how much of an area should I fence off?
Would 100'x 100' be enough, or do they need more?
Will a "lean to" shelter be sufficient...by that, I mean 3 sides and a roof. Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks, Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com

Edited by - Justimagine on May 31 2007 05:58:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:23:17 AM  Show Profile
I second the advice for Hogger's. My friend who has 5 nannies she's milking and 6 doelings she plans to gets most of her stuff from there. Slow-Flo Filters, her strainer and pails. Nice Stainless Steel stuff and it seems reasonable.

Yes the females are Does and males are Bucks. Nubians do have high fat but they are noisy - if neighbors are an issue. Have you checked the local feed store for books? The one in OK carries all the 4-h books for sale and some others. Any 4-Her's around who would be willing to educate you?

Keep Cattle Pannels/Goat Pannels in mind for fencing - they are lightweight and easier to move if you are female without male assistance. Also easier to configure if you want them on half your pasture and not all of it.

I want goats in the future too!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  06:45:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Holly! I was thinking about using those panels. Our local tractor supply has them on sale right now for $14 something. That sounded good to me. Can you use them with t-posts? Do you think 100' by 100' would be enough space for 2 or 3 goats to start with? I have lots of pasture...but fencing is expensive. I thought maybe I could start small and enlarge the area little by little. Kate~

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  08:41:30 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about the size but yes you can use the cattle pannels with tposts, just make sure they are secured with good bailing wire or clamps or the goats WILL get out. I want to try and do small scale rotational grazing using these when I can. Will call my friend and ask what she's used to secure them.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  1:34:31 PM  Show Profile
update: I talked to my friend and she said that is plenty big as long as you plan on feeding them hay and cutting browse for them. She used the T post clips -- however cautions that some are stronger than others and to be sure you get the stronger ones!

Hope that helps,

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Holly, thanks...yes it does help! One more question. At the risk of sounding really "duh"... what is "browse"? Kate~

Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  2:24:10 PM  Show Profile
I recieved my package today. Yippee!!!!! You would have thought I won the lottery. Ok, I have nubians , boer(which I raise to show, they are meat goats) and toggenburg. Goats do better when they are two or more together. I have a chain fence around my goat pen, but they do get out, they always get back into the pen come feeding time. The only trouble I have is keeping them seperated for the dairy goats get one type of feed, and the boers get another. A lean to is great. I have a couple that I built myself , just to have a dry place when it rains. Out of all my goats, nubians, are the best. I will posting on my blog about goats all next week, what to look for, treatment, kidding, housing. Hopefully I can pass some advice on that I have learned from some great goatherders. Libbie, going to make the fudge next week and will let you know who it turned out. Wanna come milk for me? Will be glad for you to. I can't wait for you to have your herd and milking going either. Hang in there.
Laura
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  4:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmmm- You are making me hungry for goats milk again!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  07:17:03 AM  Show Profile
browse is tree branches (you'll have to read on safety), grass, anything besides hay/feed.
Thanks Laura --- looking forward to the info.

Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  12:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Kate, 'browse' means to eat trees and shrubs, flowers, clothes, garden, anything a goat can get into his mouth.
I have started posting about goats on my blog. I'm not an expert on goatkeeping but I thought I would lend my experience with others. Hope some of it will help others. I have been into meat goats so this is really my first experience with dairy goats.
Have a good one.
Laura
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:59:46 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE it when people talk goats! They are so popular again too, which I think is great. I have 16 dairy goats, and I just love them. We have made yogurt, kefir, and icecream, feta cheese, moz cheese, cheddar, buttermilk, sourcream, you name it. It's wonderful to have your own raw milk sitting so white and beautiful in those big mason jars in the fridge ")

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  3:09:14 PM  Show Profile
Dalyn,
How many goats do you milk? Do your children milk too?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2007 :  10:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Laura- you have Toggs? What are they like? I think they are beautiful goats and am very interested in possibly getting some in the future for milking. Care to share about them? -- Tracy
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  06:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, I have one toggenburg doe. She is s sweetheart. She actually belongs to a friend on mine. She bore a kid but the the little one died so I was asked if I would take her and milk her. You know, I jumped right on it. She use to be owned by an amish family before Justin got her. One of the things is toggs have a long coat, so I had to shave her. Usually one just shaves the udder, under belly and back part of her, legs, etc. I prefer to completely shave all over, just makes things cleaner and to help them deal with the heat. They are what you consider cool climate animals. You know, for the north. I get a quart off of her twice a day. They don't get as tall as some of the other breds of goats.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile
OH, they rank a little behind the alpines in milk production. If i'm not wrong i believe they have 3.2% butterfat. I do know that toggenburgs holds the milk production record, toggs give close to 1,000 gallons of milk a year, and that is just from one goat. She has horns and I prefer my goats to be dehorned for they could injure you or themselves.
Good luck with your goats and if I can help you at any way just let me know. Like I said, I'm not an expert but I can share with you all my experience. I know I have learned alot from some of the other goatkeepers here on the forum. We all are here to help each other.
Have a good one.
Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does any one milk goats? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page