Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 old International sewing machine with pictures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic old International sewing machine with pictures Next Topic  

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  12:58:23 PM  Show Profile
DH is a trash picker and a thrift store junkie.

He picked up an old green international sewing machine. It only makes a straight stitch.

Does anyone know anything about these machines?

My cat Maddie need to get in the middle of everything.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."

Edited by - BotanicalBath on May 27 2007 5:27:42 PM

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh you lucky girl! My husband threatens to use my machine as a boat anchor. I actually have never heard of Intenational brand sewing machines, but have worked on a few Singers from the 1950s, they look similar. Probably all metal gears, will run forever. The brownish discoloration is from old oil and is called "varnishing" and can be removed from the machine with kerosene or gun oil (which has a lot of kerosene in it). Gun oil is also good for getting rid of any rust.
You could take it to a local repair guy, but that will cost $40 or so just to take a look. These older machines generally can be well maintained by the owner! You may be able to find attatchments for it. I would check out ebay. Or just Google. Have fun!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:23:18 AM  Show Profile
What kind of cat is Maddie?
She has a narrow face, kinda like a siamese
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  08:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Maddie is a Oriental Shorthair. It is like a hybrid siamese so they have the body and head shape of a siamese, but they come in solids and stripes instead of points. She is just the sweetest little girl. We adopted her when she was 3 yrs old.

E-
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  10:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, if it works you will LOVE that machine. I have an old heavy belt driven machine. It's not as old as yours, so has a few features, but I'm a simple sewer. Mostly forwards and backwards for me. I've had other people sit down at that machine and they fall in love with it too. The movement is so smooth and can sew through just about anything. Have fun!! What a great find!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  2:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Yahoo has a group called WeFixIt, which is made up of sewing machine fans. I joined when Hubby picked up an old Singer sewing machine from a trip down the alley, and I've had lots of help from the members to get it running again. You might also find info on www.ismacs.net, which is the International Sewing Machine Collectors' Society.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone,

It is a nice heavy machine. It looks pretty cool too. It looks like I am going to start a collection of sewing machines. I am going to join WeFixIt, and see if we can ge it running. It will be nice to have another machine loaded with thread. I can see sewing major stuff on anything except my Janome, which I am just in love with.

E-
www.Botanical-Bath.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic old International sewing machine with pictures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page