Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery work Next Topic
Page: of 2

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2004 :  06:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Morning! Jeannie-- Yes the tote bag is quilted on both sides and the construction is like a book, so the shape is similar to a large cereal box with handles on the two face sides. A friend suggested using a stiff batting and medium weight lining to give the bag a shape of it's own. I think she's right, I don't like floppy bags and they don't seem to hold up as well.
Sounds like everyone is getting ready with their winter projects, I am completing a needlepoint piano bench cover I bought at a yard sale this summer half finished. Maroon background with flowers and musical instruments. It will replace a much loved and now shredded seat on my Gram's old bench but I think she'd approve. Funny... she's been gone 20 years but it will always be HER bench (to me). Bramble
Go to Top of Page

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  07:12:35 AM  Show Profile
JENNY....
That is the COOLEST idea ever!! I love it. And so very meaningful, especially when it is passed to the next generation. Can you see your great grand children looking over that tablecloth in a 100 years....

I embroider constantly too, but I confess I DO own a lovely embroidery machine and about a million software designs for it. It is still creative, though very fast. Crochet is my relaxation thing. Love to make table clothes with very tiny thread.
Magi

It's not what you hear, but how carefully you listen.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  08:32:43 AM  Show Profile
Bramble - to give extra solidity to your totes, you can cover a heavy piece of cardboard with fabric. Cut the cardboard to fit snugly down in the bottom of your tote. Since it is box style, I would guess it has a flat bottom. Use a co-ordinating fabric on the board, slip it into the bottom of your tote, and it will stand alone and be less floppy.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2004 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile
I've also used double template plastic covered but my favorite is when I get my husband to cut out a piece of luan and then I cover it with lining fabric. Thin but strong, nothing goes through the bottom with that! Thanks! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Elizabethq
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Tx
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I was in Hancocks buying embroidery supplies and the cleck asked me Do you still that by hand? I replied yes I do. She was shocked. She inforrmed me they had machines to do that. I told her no thanks. Embroiderying is my quite time. I sew evevryday.
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile
That is what it is all about Elizabeth! Taking the time and doing the craft the way it should be... You ARE a true blue farmgirl!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to see someone else who loves handwork. IT has been fun to see all the active stitching room topics today..they are my favorites

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2005 :  8:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I sew every day too. I always have a quilt, a sampler, and mending to do, and God gave us the best sewing machines - our fingers.
jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

blessed4431
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Joy
Rockville va
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I love to embroidery but can't find any patterns. I just keep looking for some I have done some red work. I have been looking for things like a butter churn, a woodstove, rolling pin. Any ideas where to find opatterns?

Have A Blessed Day
Joy
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Blessed ---if you do a search for vintage needlework patterns alot of great sites come up. I have mentioned a few times here www. yesterdayscharm.com because they are vintage and very reasonable, but there are lots of others. Happy stitching!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  3:52:30 PM  Show Profile
I visited my mother today and took Mary Janes book for her to look at. She loved it! She was raised in western Kansas by her widowed mother in the Depression on a rented farm and the book really spoke to her. It makes me smile knowing I have this to share with my dear mother. She is chair bound due to crippling arthritis and she was particularly excited about the "Vitaman Ball" embroidery patterns. We dug out her hoops and threads and needles and I am enlarging the patterns. We are going to make these together on flour sack tea towels.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  4:59:21 PM  Show Profile
The embroidery section of MJ's book also piqued my interest enough to go to my dishtowel drawer in the kitchen and reorganize. I "unearthed" two dishtowels that my MIL made for me about 30 years ago, I'm guessing... they are frayed around the edges, but the embrodiery is still in fine condition. I think I will display them with my aprons! I also went to a yard sale last weekend. This lady had been a quilter, so I found some yardarge that will work for my vintage aprons, as well as a huge bag of thread (many on wooden spools), a huge bag of buttons, and a huge huge bag of embroidery thread. I spent a half day just sorting out all the colors of everything, because I do intend to use it! So, armed with much embroidery thread, I now need to find some flour sack dish towels to use! Any suggestions on finding those? Also looking for an embroidery transfer of teapots. Anyone seen those online recently?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on May 29 2005 5:02:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  5:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Clare sounds like you hit the mother load! My mother has the flour sacks and I will ask her where she found them...not sure if they are vintage but I will let you know!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  7:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Clare, Try this link, http://www.americanchairstore.com/floursack.html They have 10 plain flour sack towels for $8.50. I may order several sets for the Vitamin Ball embroidery.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Meadowlark!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile

I went to www.bizrate.com and did a search for flour sack towels. I came up with several choices. This one looks good because they have different sizes all prewashed and preshrunk in quantities of 10 or more. Check them out. The prices are very good. Most places I have found them want $4 each.

http://www.americanchairstore.com/floursack.html

Here is another one. They have two sizes on sale right now for around $1 to $1.50
Eileen

http://www.midwestrobesandtowels.com/Specials1.html?sid=99ba70506efa6233efd280064a498a5a

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  9:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I thought I would bump this since so many of us will be embroidering pillowcases for the pillowcase swap here soon :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
I do lots of handwork. If you visit my blog you will see what i do. I just posted somethings I made over the week end.
Happy Stitching.
Elizabeth
www.elizabethsclothesline.blogspot.com

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  7:35:58 PM  Show Profile
I am just now getting back to doing embroidery. It has been a few years. After reading what all the Farmgirls have been doing made me get back into it! Thanks! If anyone is interested in a Tea Towel swap you can count me in.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  11:43:02 PM  Show Profile
I am stitching a little tablecloth with stamped cross stitch flowers and vines around the edges right now (a gift from Elizabeth!!) and loving it. I do alot of tea towels and things smaller and it is fun to do a little bigger project. It is just the right size for a card table.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile
I have a wonderful bernina artista 730e embroidery machine but I still hand embroidery almost every day. I find it relaxes me. I have embroidered since I was in my early 20's so more than 30 years now. I love doing pillowcases, tea towels, and baby sheets. I have done a 60 inch round table cloth by hand you can see it on my web site. I have a childs pillowcase for sale in my etsy shop but it hasn't shown up yet. Most of the time people are amazed at the work involved but I think it is easy.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  09:44:54 AM  Show Profile
I too love to hand embroider and my Mom taught me years ago. I'm currently having trouble with my redwork though. Even though I set the floss with vinegar water, it still runs slightly and looks like a rust color halo around the image. Any ideas on how to correct this?? Thanks, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile
For my hand embroidery I use dmc floss and have never had a problem. I wash everything in cold water too

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile
I have never had dmc floss run. Is this the kind you are using? I believe they say dmc is colorfast. I have never used vinegar in any of mine. I will tell you that I have had some of the tea towels that have red or blue stripes on them run and I just soaked them in oxyclean. Took care of all of the spots.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I never thought there were so many others doing embroidery. It seems all I see or hear about anymore is machine embroidery. I have been stitching since I was about 7 years old when my mother and greatgrandmother taught me. I am now 64 and still love doing it. It is such a joy to do something as a wedding or shower gift or for a new baby. I recently gave a very small wall hanging as a house-warming gift and the recipient had never had a hand embroidered item before. She was delighted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery work Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page