cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 31 2004 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone else does embroidery work? It's time-consuming but relaxing in a meditative sort of way. I'm talking about hand embroidery (not machine stitching). My mother taught me and I've been doing it since I was about 8 (nearly 50 years ago.).
What do you embroider? When? Have trouble finding patterns and thread?
I'm lucky to have an old time five & dime store a few miles from me, which still carries the old time patterns. In a pinch I improvise with my own designs too. I've done everything from clothing to dresser scarves (does anyone even use those anymore?).

Cecelia

ce's farm

NancyOH
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Nancy
Groveport OH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 31 2004 :  6:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Send NancyOH an AOL message  Send NancyOH a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cecelia ... I do counted cross stitch. It is very much my 'therapy' at the end of the day. I've been doing embroidery most of my life (all 52 years of it! *lol*) - started as a girl doing stamped pillowcases & such as my grandmother taught me. Switched to counted almost 30 years ago & am way too addicted.
You have an old-fashioned five & dime near you? How wonderful! Are the patterns they carry the sort you'd iron onto a blank pillowcase or whatever, then stitch?
Oh - and, yes - I do use dresser scarves still. And doilies under things. I have a number of old pillowcases my grandmother tatted & such that I plan to (on that magical "one day soon") remove from the pillowcases & reattach to a scarf or a piece of stitchery or or or...

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  1:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy...the patterns are the kind that you iron on (I believe we called them "transfers"
because that's what you do when you iron them; usually if they're good quality you can use them more than once, esp. if you're putting them on white items. You have to be careful when using them, because they have to be cut out and laid on the material before you press with the iron. If you cut wrong you end up with missing pattern, or part of another! One thought with the tatting - don't wait to use it, or you never will. Put them on a new handkerchief (anyone use them instead of tissues?) and even if you use them sparingly, you will find yourself thinking of your grandmother when you see them. I have some old crocheted dresser scarves that a great aunt gave me when I was 8 y.o; for years I kept them put away, and then I realized I really have no one to leave them to - so I've put them out and they remind me of her.

So - don't wait, use those things you have now or they will end up in someone else's cupboard too (this goes for all that china and teacups you are probably saving for "one day
soon".

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  9:43:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cecelia

Hi Nancy...the patterns are the kind that you iron on (I believe we called them "transfers"
because that's what you do when you iron them; usually if they're good quality you can use them more than once, esp. if you're putting them on white items. You have to be careful when using them, because they have to be cut out and laid on the material before you press with the iron. If you cut wrong you end up with missing pattern, or part of another! One thought with the tatting - don't wait to use it, or you never will. Put them on a new handkerchief (anyone use them instead of tissues?) and even if you use them sparingly, you will find yourself thinking of your grandmother when you see them. I have some old crocheted dresser scarves that a great aunt gave me when I was 8 y.o; for years I kept them put away, and then I realized I really have no one to leave them to - so I've put them out and they remind me of her.

So - don't wait, use those things you have now or they will end up in someone else's cupboard too (this goes for all that china and teacups you are probably saving for "one day
soon".

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  9:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Whoops! I'll get the hang of this yet...
I find embroidery the most relaxing of needle crafts. (even though my eyes are getting tired after working all day at a computer). I just bought the transfers of days of the week kittens for towels. Can't wait. I think I want to do them in red work or blackwork. I was taught to embroider by the mother of a friend when I was waiting the birth of my first child. I had no money for diapers or clothing. A friend actually gave me a bolt of white flannel. The friend's mother showed me how to cut the bolt into diapers, and hand sew them. Then she gave me a layette pattern. I cut out the sacques and gowns, sewed them by hand, and she taught me how to embroider on them. I was hooked. And, that was an excellent way to keep my hands busy, and out of trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  10:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I love to embroider. I do cross stitch too, but like to draw my own designs or use old fashioned transfer things..like the Aunt Martha ones to do dishtowells...love to do a set to give as wedding gifts!! and I like to embroider flowers and stuff on my old overalls..makes the patches look better. I learned from my grandma..who taught me most all my favorite things...when I was really small. My oldest daughter (who is only 9 ..My oldest kids are all boys..up to 26 yrs) embroiders now too, and I am ready to teach the 7 year old here soon. She isn't quite as patient, so I have waited longer. I just love the look of old embroidery, and treasure my old pillow cases, doilies and dresser scarves from my aunts and grandmas.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2004 :  11:07:07 AM  Show Profile
Yes, there are still needleworkers out there! For 15 years, I was the art director for a company called Country Cross-Stitch and we published over 100 needlework booklets. Now I am retired, but I still stitch almost daily, and love to design and stitch reproductions of old samplers. I also love to quilt, and am currently working on a twin size quilt at the request of my husband. He likes to use them as throws in the winter while watching TV. I do everything totally by hand (cross-stitching goes without saying of course)but also quilting, as machines do not like me usually! And I like to have hands on for the whole project - it allows me to move my project to different places in the house, and make changes in the design as I go.
My grandmother was very much an expert at quilting, embroidery, and tatting. I still have her embroidered dish towels, one for every day of the week. "Monday is Wash Day", etc. They are treasures for me. She even pinned a note to them, saying "These are for Jeannie". The note is still there.
Jeannie
Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  07:39:11 AM  Show Profile
I love to hand embroider floursack dish towels. Though I have not done them in quite sometime, I think I need to dig out my patterns and start again, say, for Christmas presents for the neighbors? Oh great...another project to put in my basket. :)

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  6:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I think this kind of embroidery is becoming very popular again. I have some pillowcases to embroider using the transfers, and I want to design some special cases for the grandkids. I have seen them more frequently at the craft booths and shows this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  6:24:19 PM  Show Profile
I have some flour sack dishtowels to finish too....I need to get them out. I tend to do sets of them for wedding gifts when I can. They are always appreciated.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

wildflower
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kathleen
West Texas
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cecelia, even though it's been awhile since you posted this, I just found it, I do hand embroidery also. I hand embroidery plus design , I am currently working on a linen line with heirloom designs that I have been doing a lot of research on. I hope to one day, show my designs to someone to get my line out to the public. I'm still in the process of designing and stitching and as you know, that takes a lot of time. Enjoy stitching! wildflower

"and let the beauty of our Lord our God be upon us; and establish thou the work of our hands upon us....Psalm 90:17
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  1:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Well here is another topic I haven't seen before. Haven't embroidered for a long time but used to love it. My daughter is a fanatic when it comes to counted cross stitch. I take my hat off to her and others with the eyesight and patience to do this. I have recently purchased a dozen flour sack towels from Giam.com and am planning to embroider them with patterns that I have found in the old workbasket magazines that I retrieved from the dumptruck after my mother in law passed away. She has them dating back to 1935 and all the way through the early 60s. The designs are simple and wonderful. A winter afternoon project.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile
I embroider and cross stitch too! I started to embroider when I was 8, my grandmother taught me, I used to do shirts in high school for other people. I still have one of the more elaborate ones I did for myself.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2004 :  9:19:11 PM  Show Profile
One of our family traditions is our Christmas tablecloth. I started it the year my husband and I were engaged..our first holiday season together. I put it on the table on Christmas day and whoever comes over at any time during the day signs it with a ball point pen and each year I embroider all the names in one color (new color each year) and on the edge there is a "key" so you can tell that 1995 was green and 1996 was red, etc..it is a big hit with everyone and it is so fun to see the kids handwriting get better each year. I have any kids under 12 put their age under their name. I have a couple of smart alec relatives (my dad and brother) who insisted on drawing little pictures so mine has a snowman, a dragster and a baseball and mitt on it from different years. There are several signatures on it from those have have passed on, including my dad, and it is so special to get it out each fall (I always MEAN to get it embroidered in the winter just after Christmas, but never do) and pick a new color. It is a fun thing to give as a wedding gift too.. cotton tablecloth (mine is oatmeal color) and a hoop, needles and floss for their first Christmas.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  06:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Jenny! What a SUPER idea!! Creating a keepsake has such traditional value to it. I think you've sparked an idea for me!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi all you stitchers! I've been embroidering since I did my first dish towel for the 4-H fair! We don't have a 5 & 10 here but I look for pillowcase, sampler kits at our local thrift. It's fun to make them my own! I also collect old linens and lace and I do use them regularly. If you're worried about stains, just make a paste of white vinegar, baking soda and Dreft. Apply to stain and then wash on gentle w/ cold H2O. Repeat if needed or hang in the sunshine to dry.
What good is something kept "for good " if it's hidden away most of the time? Surround yourself with the things you love and everyday will be special! bramble
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  10:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Jenny , What a treasure! I have a holiday table cloth that my mother in law embroidered for me for my first christmas with her son , my Husband. It is also oatmeal color and done in brown,goldenrod and tans with a wheat pattern. I have cherished it and brought it out every year for the holiday season to use but never thought of getting everyone to sign it. What a grand idea! Too late now for all those loved ones who are gone but not to late to sign and pass on to my daughter. Maybe I can copy my mother in laws signiture from one of her letters that I treasure(she is no longer with us) to get it started.
Bramble, You really will fit right in! Lots of us collect those things too. I have most of the needle work, crochet doilies , knitting, embroidery and other beautiful things that Melba (my mother in law) made. It was all destined for the city dump when my father in law remarried after her death and the new wife did not want anything of hers around the house. I use it all!
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,
I collect old linens too. I enjoy using them as well. I scour flea markets and small antiques shops to add to my growing collection. I also have some of my granmothers.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2004 :  10:09:56 PM  Show Profile
I agree..you should use the things you love every single day. My grown sons comment on how they love our old dishes and that they will always make them think of home. I LOVE that!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2004 :  12:14:32 PM  Show Profile
I collect flea market and estate sale linens, too. I have an amazing double size quilt with tiny squares (I mean 1 inch squares, all hand-stitched) that I got for $3.00 in 1974. I still treasure it. I also have a white double cotton coverlet with intricate tatted edges all hand-done that I also got for 3.00 in Wisconsin in 1986. I am always amazed that someone could let these things go - all that handwork! I got a cross-stitched tea towel, and the stitching on the back is as good as the front (so precise) - .50! I am so glad to hear that others ot there reclaim these treasures, too. Someone used their hands and loved those things into existence.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2004 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone and thanks for your warm welcome! Spent the weekend outside trying to get all the sun and fun fall activities crammed into two short days ( we've had alot of soggy weekends lately!) I'm starting to think about holiday gift projects and found a great tote bag pattern that I'm going to get started on soon for 4 different people. It's flying geese strips with long bar strips inbetween and long strap handles. It looks really easy but a nice roomy tote for
school, work, etc. Anyone else out there quilting?Bramble
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  03:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I love the table cloth idea! I'm not the best at embroidery, although I am teaching my eight year old what I do know. We're starting with cross-stitch done on gingham (remember those aprons???) and I hope to get her started on a sample some time this year. It fits in with her history lessons, so we get to do it "in school". I used to do counted cross-stitch, but now I have to get at it early, before my eyes are tired, and while the light is good. Not usually the time of day I find myself free to do that type of thing...
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  06:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, I am quilting all the time, that and stiching samplers. I am way behind right now for my current quilt. All these hurricane preparations and fall responsibilites have thrown me off.

Your tote bag sound pretty. I love flying geese patterns. Will both sides of the tote be pieced? Sound like a wonderful gift.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  3:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
I read somewhere, a long time ago, those are called postage stamp quilts because of the size of the squares.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  7:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm going to start embroidering again (put things away for the summer). For a Christmas some time ago, I embroidered the 12 days of Christmas scenes on a dresser scarf, use it for a table runner. I started it with only the pictures ironed on the cloth, and did only the outline for the first Christmas; later I filled in all the pictures - very time-consuming but beautiful. I have to remove the lace which is around the cloth, and replace it, as it has worn out through the years. I'm glad that all of you have sent in messages, I thought no one else did this kind of hand work. Some years ago I made a teddy bear by hand stitching, clipping around the nose and mouth, etc. It took some time and effort; a lady I worked with offered me $10 for it and I was appalled at the time, but now (some 20 years later), I am amused that people still don't always appreciate the effort put into such work as we are doing.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  10:47:14 PM  Show Profile
I got out a project I started last year and didn't finish. It is a center square for a pillow top. I drew a cute bee skep and bees all around it. It says Bee Happy at the bottom. I had tea dyed the muslin it is on and almost finished it this evening..just a few bee wings and I am done. I will do fall colors around it like in a log cabin pattern sort of thing and make a pillow to give as a gift. I did a couple last fall for our sofa and need to get all my fall decorating stuff out...they are packed away with that stuff. I have a few more drawn on the muslin and ready to embroider They would be good gifts for a couple of the families on my husband's side that live here in town for Christmas. Embroidery is so relaxing.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery work Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page