CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:33:51 PM  Show Profile
anyone remember the print 'housedresses' that our momma's and grammies wore during the 1940's and 1950's? i have such fond memories of my 'nannie' always wearing them!

anyone ever see them anymore? i never ever find them in antiques shoppes. the patterns were often pretty much like the aprons of that time too.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I remember them Frannie. My mother always wore them. Some had buttons and others just went over your head. My mother called the ones with buttons housecoats and the other house dresses. My mother still wears them. They do sell something sort of like them at WalMart. My last child was born in the month of Aug and I wore them all that summer. They were great. I was up north at the time and I got them in a ladies store. It was a store that had all the bras and panties in little glass front drawers behind the counter. The lady would measure you and pull out bras for you to try on. My mother and I were just talking the other day about how we used to walk downtown and go shopping when I was growing up. No malls then. If we had lots of packages we would take the bus back. I wish we could be like that again. Maybe we will if gas prices keep going the way they are. I just picked up my son from grad school today and we were talking. He is an environmental major and he was giving me a big speach on the landscape of America and how he feels it will change. I think the younger generation may go back a little. One of my favorite sayings is "What goes around, comes around" and another is "Everything old is new again" There may still be hope! And just maybe I'll make myself a house dress!!!
Merle
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I love them I buy them new from a company caled American something. I will get the catalog and post the name and web sit for you. I pay about 13.00 for them.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  8:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the look of house dresses. It would be neat for someone to re-create a pattern for all the farmgirls to use.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  9:44:58 PM  Show Profile
I saw some on ebay!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  9:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Untill a few years ago we could still buy them for my Grandma here in Falls City. The Lady at the dress shop said that there were many of the ladies at the local nursing homes that wore them and that she had a couple of companies that still made them. But that was about 5 years ago. Don't know about today.

I don't remember my Grandma ever wearing anything else and I spent a lot of time on the farm.

Denise

Edited by - Nicie on May 25 2007 9:55:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:07:52 PM  Show Profile
Both my grandmas always wore those and aprons too. I would love to find some.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:08:47 PM  Show Profile
My grandma wore them too.

Try this site: http://www.amerimark.com/cgi-bin/amerimark/cate_id/appllwphd/item_browse.html

Hope that link works.

If it doesn't just go to www.amerimark.com and click on housedresses and sundresses!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on May 25 2007 10:10:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:11:28 PM  Show Profile
The Vermont Country store has them...but they are $39.99.
I like the idea of a pattern, I'd like mine to have pockets and be in the xx sizes.
Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  12:46:42 AM  Show Profile
All the catalogs for large sizes (large and xx large) offer them. In fact I brought some last year after I had my Heart Attack and heart surgery. The slip-over ones were easlier for me to wear and more comfortable....I still have 3 left that I pull out and on some times..They are crisp and neat and lovely print colors..

MARGIE

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  02:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
My mom wears nothing but these. We buy them at Stage and the local dress shop. They are usually 19.99 at Stage and between 30 and 40 at the dress shop. I got her three for Mother's Day. One is just amazingly beautiful - a bright red. I think it is her favorite.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  04:57:15 AM  Show Profile
My mother always wore them, and my grandma made hers. Mom always said she felt more comfortable in a dress than slacks or pants. And I feel the same way, I love my long skirts as much as my capris or jeans.

Every time mom went out, though, she never wore her house dress, unless it was to a neighbor's house to chat or something. Never to a store! Those were the days.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  05:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Georgann how funny they call them patio dresses. My "housedress" is a pair of my daughters old (we have at least 1/2 dozen) PJ/sweat bottoms and an old T-shirt. In the summer its shorts and T-shirt. Throw them on when I get up, do and dog hike in them and if I'm not going anywhere pretty much stay in that get up all day.

So many interests so little time!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  06:06:23 AM  Show Profile
I've always loved this photo, for many reasons: one, it's my great grandmother, Dodie, wearing one of her famous housedresses, and two, the photo is SO dour, and the back of the picture reads, Mom, Dad and Aunt Hazel (left), March 1957 Anniversary Dinner....

They got married in 1918, so I guess anniversaries at that point were special enough to wear a housedress AND cross your arms! Or, for my great grandfather, to find something more interesting on the ground

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  06:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
That is where I order mine from. I love them. They are quick and a good price.
Thanks for posting that.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  11:37:33 AM  Show Profile
My mother has worn housedresses for as long as I can remember. Blair (a mail catalog store) carries them for pretty reasonable prices. Mom was wearing a housedress this morning that is a cherry print with a black background and I was thinking how pretty the fabric would be as an apron.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile
I went to the website and there are some really cute ones on there. My problem is I'm 5' tall and the ones that go to your knee goes around my ankle, lol. I hate that, I have a hard time buying dresses unless I go to a nice shop and get petite. Grrrr, short people, lol.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Both Grandmothers wore them as well as a apron over them.
I think I have a couple of her dresses. and a couple of aprons.
Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  9:42:45 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh gurlfrenz .. how fun to read all your memories of house coats/dresses .. i just can't believe they are still sold!

i don't remember them being real flattering to my nannie's figure .. i guess if you sashed them at the waist (or hips) and did a little pull-up and blousy look .. they would be pretty cute! thanks for all the great memories! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  10:19:28 PM  Show Profile
My MIL always wore a housedress and her aprons of course!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - that photo is hilarious! Love everything about it.

Here's a question now to follow the discussions on housedresses - what kindof shoes did your mom or grandma wear with the housedress? In the summer, my mom had a little canvas slip ons and in the winter, she wore anklets and loafers. And a sweater, too.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  10:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Mikki Jo,I am 4'11 and 100 lbs. I get the petite small from the site Aunt George posted and they fit me just fine. Also Willowridge has cute dresses and jumpers. I get the petite xs from them.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I love this photo. Takes me back a ways. Thanks for sharing.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  5:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Grandma made all her clothes including her housedresses. These always buttoned. Her shoes were the laceup old lady orthededic style with a 1 in. block heal. If @ home she wore either white anklets or thigh high hose. The hose were held up with garters( not the garter belt,but the kind like thick rubber bands) She would roll the stockings down, garters and all, around her ankles and then if she left the house to go to the store she rolled her stockings up to the thigh. A housecoat was what we now call a robe.
Mom wore zip up housedresses. and later she started wearing Mu-mus(sp?) These are like the patio dresses. She is 82 now and the mu-mus are still her favorite clothes @ home. She does wear slacks to go out.
I like dresses/sundresses to wear around the house when it is hot out. But only to lounge in. If I'm working then it needs to be shorts or pants.

Jonni loved the photo.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  05:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Theoanne...Grandma Ranke (in the photo) also wore the old lady ortho shoes...I can't remember the maker, but my mom would get her a new pair for mother's day, along with something a bit more frivolous. She always wore black or navy. Poor gran had "kankles" and I do remember her wearing knee highs, but not rolled down.

I love the photo too--I never knew my grandfather, but this is exactly what Grandma Ranke and Aunt Hazel looked like when I knew them!

I think the reason we probably don't see any of these housedresses in antique stores is because they were so "used". Probably so worn out, they would go into the rag bag after a time.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

jendada
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jen
Ellendale MN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile
My Grandma Neustel always wore a housedress too. My mom and aunt would sew them for her...buttons all down the front. She almost always had a sweater thrown around her shoulders except when it was really hot. I can't really remember her shoes but I think they were brown with ties. and thigh high stockings. The picture reminds me a lot of her. She hated having her picture taken. Always had her arms crossed but one hand would be in front of her face placed along side her nose!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic housedresses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page