Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic City Farmgirl Next Topic  

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  9:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I live in a midwestern city of 2 million people, and I have been raising dairy goats, and chickens, since 1991. We have 2/3 acre total. Sometimes I look around and realize how utterly different my daily life is than my neighbors, or the parents of my kid's friends at school. For instance, I have the reputation of being someone who, when you visit, you never know what could be happening! Dehorning goats, pulling down cabinets, butchering a chicken!

Sometimes this life feels kind of lonely, too, since my farming friends mostly live miles away. But taking care of the animals and plants, learning from them every day, showing my kids and other interested people year after year, that all seems so normal, substantial, and absorbing.

I started farming here because this is where we live. There was no point to waiting till "someday out in the country." And, although I had lived on a lot of other people's farms over the years, when I started this I really did not have the daily habits nor skills involved in farming. So I thought I'd see if I could fill every foot of this yard, while gaining the farming habits needed, and then maybe move to a larger place someday.

Well, I definitely have the habits and skills, and I haven't filled all the land yet. And when I was ready to move a couple years ago, my growing and uninterested family and husband refused. So, some projects, I can't do, like haying on a large scale, or growing more than a few rows of field crops. At least not on our own land.

By the way, my husband had no interest and did not help on any of this until recently. So ladies, don't wait around for him to do the building, lifting or fencing if he's not the type. You can just as easily learn and do it yourself. But it must be said, an sctive partner does make activites and work a whole lot easier and more fun.

Farming in the city has a few advantages such as easy access for customers, being able to take newborn goats to the school down the street, and lots of intrigued visitors in the public park next door. In the city, a lot of people want to take my cheesemaking classes; it seems to be the latest thing.

But the best is when another city family starts with animals too! Then we cooperate and work together more in the way farm families I know out of town do so often. I enjoy that so much. This winter I built a goat barn for a nearby family, and in trade they are doing my garden this summer. I am so happy about working together, and trading these projects.

I hope you will write.

Nana Naomi
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary
Tyler, Texas TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  07:41:07 AM  Show Profile
Howdy, City Goat Lady!
I live on about the same amount of land, but in a town of only around 100,000. There are all kinds of laws about "livestock" inside the city limits here. However, several of my neighbors have chickens and I'm seriously considering them. I just bought and read MJ's book and am planning to re-do all of the landscaping with fruit-bearers!
Since I have 2 dogs, one of which is a Husky ( read untallanted landscaper), I am looking into containers. Raised plots are also an option, I guess. Let me know if you have any info.
Thanks and good growing!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Boy, you sound alot like me! I don't live in a city..never have..but a small town, but I have the same sort of reputation and do the same sort of things. I have just started with the cheesemaking this year and love that! How fun that you teach classes!! I always encourage gals who seem interested to at least have chickens..you can have them most places. Rabbits you can have almost anywhere.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Dear Citygoatlady, Welcome, welcome. I am in a residential community that is trying it's best to be be a small city and you sound like me. There is no time like the present, and no guarantee of the future , so I make the best of what we have here as well.I too have a child that would be crushed to move at this point , so we stay for now.
A naughty dog , a fish pond with constant visitors who think it's their sushi bar and alot of ornamental planting beds keep me on my toes and in the summer the veggie and herb gardens add to the mix. Plus a house full of kids, who don't belong to me (except one!)This is a fun place to share your dreams, trials and farming stories .
Glad you found us!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  12:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello citygoatlady, wow, what an inspiration. I too do what I can in my very small space. I cant have goats or sheep yet but I started to spin rabbit fur so now i am adding 2 rabbits to my "little farm". I know what you mean about it getting a bit lonely. With me its just because no one else I know REALLY cares about this stuff. They say it's nice, interesting etc. but think im nuts for working so hard. Why spin yarn when you can buy it they say. They just dont get it!!!! Welcome, its nice to have you with us. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Citygoatlady. I admire you for what you are making of your life. Keep posting and filling us in on what is new.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  3:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group citygoatlady !!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  3:42:15 PM  Show Profile
I admire you citygoatlady for your grit and determination! You are learning new skills and using them to better the lives of your family, friends and neighbors. You are enriching a community! You should be proud. Welcome to the forum! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic City Farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page