Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Does the news ever get you down??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does the news ever get you down?? Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  07:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I have an XM radio in my big rig and lately, I just have to either turn it down (can't turn it off, don't know why) or change to a Celtic channel or put in a CD. I just don't want to deal with the outside world all the time.

I want life as I knew it when I was a child (decades ago!) and things were pretty much rosy. The news just ain't cuttin' it...know what I mean?

Winona

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya.
We listen to NPR every am and afternoon on the ride to and from work, and while it has news, it has a nice blend of lots of things I'm interested in. I used to listen to NPR, read the local paper and the New York Times, Newsweek and anything else I could get my hands on in a day and boy howdy was I a downer! I actually stopped taking the local paper and NYT home delivery, and now simply read our weekly "fluff" paper that advertises local festivals and recipes. Every once in awhile I get the Sunday paper for comics and coupons.

I find that I have become somewhat desensitized to the news, mostly the bad, and that saddens me. Good news I eat up like pie.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes the news can be disheartening but when I hear bad stuff it just renews my feeling that I need to do more good and leave pretty footprints in the world. The stories about children are the ones that really get to me. I teach and see so much sadness everyday in some of these kids. My first year teaching was so hard because I wanted so bad to "save" them all. Now I realize that some things are just beyond my power but I can give the kids a safe, wlcoming and loving place when they are in my care and just pray that some of it sticks and helps them get through the hard times they face.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:22:32 AM  Show Profile
I have found that I worry way too much and ponder situations if I watch TV or listen to the radio news.
In fact, I even had to tell my Daddy to stop sending me news snippets via e-mail. It just got to be too much, seeing bad news in my in box every morning.
It is funny, I remember back when I was first married and working. A lady who I worked with did not know about a current event and I asked her how in the world she could not know about it. She replied " I don't read the newspapers or watch the news". At the time I thought she was a nit wit but now I understand why she chose to go that way.

Have you ever noticed that they almost never report those good stories anymore? I have often asked my husband "Didn't anything GOOD happen in the world today"? I know it did. It does everyday but bad news sells much more papers.

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Sweet Harvest, I understand how you felt about the lady you worked with. I have felt the same way but I'm coming around to thinking maybe they are on to something...by ignoring or whatever.

Winona :-)

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Lindy. I gave up watching the news on TV and reading newspapers/newsmagazines. I get my daily smattering of current events from MSN, and I pretty much just read the headlines & captions just so I'm at least a BIT in touch. Being "out of touch" has made me much happier. Yes, I'm probably like the ostrich with her head stuck in the sand, but I do what I can to change the world without taking in all the bad news.

A quick story along these lines; several years ago we went to Santorini, Greece for my birthday. It was the off-season for this popular European summer vacation destination, and there weren't many English speaking people about. Our B&B room didn't have a television or radio, all the newspapers were in Greek and all the radio stations we heard while in town were broadcast in Greek. For a whole week we lived in news-isolation, and it was probably the most relaxing vacation we ever had.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:31:41 AM  Show Profile
I used to be a reporter, and that led me to be "addicted" to news. I like to know what's going on, and frequently I leave a newschannel on. In the last month or so though, I've found it disheartening and depressing- not that it's any more so in the last month, I'm just feeling like it wears me down and makes me feel bad. I've been on a self-imposed mini-exile from news- I watch a little but not as much as I did before. I've also cut out most of Dr Phil after feeling the same way. Sometimes I still watch it, but not every day, religiously. I have a new-found ability to just "turn it off." Wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Since I started working for the court many years ago, I had to stop watching the news. It was too much like being at work. I feel my time away from work is supposed to be rejuvenating and relaxing. Watching the news has the opposite effect. I just can't stand to listen to all the bad stuff anymore. I get enough of that 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. The only news show I watch is Sunday Morning. I find that show inspiring.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I so agree with you! I, too, will get to the point that I just have to turn off the NPR, cause even they do report the war news and the bad news...they have to. Some years ago, I heard a sermon where the priest said that 100 years ago, most people only knew the people and/or news from within about a 25 mile radius of their house, if they lived on the land and not in a city. Even in a city, they didn't have radio or tv, so their "world" was much smaller, even though there were daily newspapers. His point was that we are so overwhelmed with all the horrendous things happening around the world nowadays, that it is almost impossible not to become desensitized to other people's troubles. And when we lead relatively peaceful lives of abundance, hard not to feel guilty about those who are in dire straits. I don't know the answer, but I try to keep on top of things enough to be a well-informed voter, but all the severely sad news that comes at us daily - yes, I turn it off!

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:05:48 AM  Show Profile
The news breaks my heart. For a year and 3 months, I actually worked as a news monitor (it's where my husband and I met.) We were paid to watch and analyze the news all night from cities all over the country for public relations. I would get SO depressed. It was during the 2004 election so believe me, I got newsed-out.

This morning, I was listening to "Seize the Day", which is a show on Sirius' Catholic Channel and he was interviewing a man who was a slave in Sudan who now works to fight slavery. It was just heartbreaking. I had to change the channel because it was so upsetting.

I try to avoid the news now...I read it online and watch local news to check weather but that's just about it. It can really be depressing.

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
That is a HUGE reason I don't watch TV much. DS watches a few cartoons, but I avoid all local and national news. Online is easier for me to just check what interests me.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:38:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I go in spurts. Sometimes I watch the news, and sometimes I don't. It just depends on whats going on in the world at the moment. I have noticed, though, that some of the evening news spots are starting to highlight "Good" stories as well as the bad.

I always like to hear the good stories that make it onto national news. For instance- the other day Headline News had a snippet about a group of kids that rode tractors to the High School Prom! They just wanted to do something different! Lets here it for farmkids and JD going to prom!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:29:28 PM  Show Profile
I turn on the news first thing in the morning for about five minutes to find out if anything major has happened. Then no more news for the rest of the day.

A few years ago I had made a plan not to watch tv or listen to the radio anymore. The date was September 11, 2001. I was clueless for a long time about the trade towers. So now I do turn on the tv first thing in the morning and then no more news.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a remarkable day to make that particular resolution! I bet you wouldn't even remember the date, except for the fact that something (of all days!) had to happen!

I think that it is good to take all the new stories (if you watch the news) with the thought in the back of your head that for every bad story, there has to be another story that we aren't hearing of good.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  1:23:47 PM  Show Profile
I thought it was just me!! I was starting to wonder if maybe I was getting to touchy. I have also over the past year limited my time with the normal news sources. I stopped having a local paper over nine years now because I never had time to sit and read all the horrible news, nor did I want to cut down a tree for me to get depressed. Besides most of it is ads anyway. I do not have cable so that limits the hundreds of channels that can creep into my home. I can not even trust the weather channel because they never get it right. I must say that network T.V. and their news is geared to make us mindless purchasing robots. They are either scarring us to death with who is going to kills us next, what new illness is coming our way, what food now is O.K. to eat but what pills we should swallow to fix the newest crisis, or even better to try and sell us something that no one really needs. I find myself renting select movies or books on tape from the library so I am not tempted to turn on the mind numming T.V.

I am glad to know that it is not just me! I do think it is important to be well informed but as I have always said "Pick wisely who you listen too - Not everyone who is running their mouth off knows what they are talking about".

I would rather think good thoughts, hear birds sing and get goat kisses. Have a postive weekend and try just for the weekend not to turn on the T.V., read a paper or even gossip - The world will be a kinder place.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  1:46:38 PM  Show Profile
I want to be informed but I too get very upset and depressed with the news. So like Patsy, I'll check first thing ( on 9/11 my dh called me to turn on the TV becuz I'm from NY and what an awful awful day that was!) and I might check right when I get home from work, but that's all I can take. The media (no offense to anyone who works in the media) seems to love to sensationalize everything and I can't walk around depressed and crying all the time.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  2:15:47 PM  Show Profile
It is so heartening to know that the Fella and I aren't the only ones who aren't ardent news watchers! It is so terribly depressing most of the time. I get my news online, and I watch our local morning news for 10 minutes to get the basics and the weather. When I go visit my Mum I feel like I am so out of the loop. She keeps CNN (don't get me started on them!)on all the time, and thinks I should be more informed.
I love what Grace said, I too, would much rather think happy thoughts and hear the birds instead!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  3:57:25 PM  Show Profile
I hear you too I try not to listen to all that negativity but sometimes it is so hard. The world is so corrupt nowadays, I wasn,t around in the times when poeple barnraised, visited with the sick, took in others were always there and yet I long for it. I guess that is why we enjoy crafting, gardening etc. The world has evolved I do love to have many conviences Ie plumbing but I long to live in a world that cares more!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:36:57 PM  Show Profile
the 'news' as reported on tv and radio NEVER gets me down .. cuz' i don't listen to it. i've given instructions to 'honey hunk' to let me know if he hears that the world is coming to an end .. cuz' i want just enough time to call our children an grandchildren to tell them ... as always ... that we love them!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  06:00:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't listen to the bad news too much myself. But the thing is we hear so much more news now then we used to. Remember when the news was 15 min. then moved to a half hour. Then there was the daily paper. I don't know as the news is getting much worse or the reporting more detailed. Remember world war 1, and two and the depression, and even the civil , Korean war, VietNam, all sad times. So look to the bright side and hope that this makes things around us brighter.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile
I stopped watching it too. My old brain just don't need all that information. I understand why the amish don't watch the news or read the paper. It is so much more peaceful without it.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

My shop www.theclothesline.etsy.com
I sell Crabapple Hill Studio and other Patterns. Pluse lots of other handmade items.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  06:37:23 AM  Show Profile
I was also a reporter for a while and loved following a news story, but I was younger then and did not seem to be affected much by the stories except that mine had to be more compelling than the next one if I wanted to be printed. That was in the 80s, and to be honest, there was not much going on for the most part except for politics. Now, while the world may not be crazier or more dangerous, we just get to hear about it all day long, which makes it feel like it's worse. When I get sad about the world, I remind myself that most of the people I know have never been a victim of serious crime and that most people are just like me.

There was a book out a few years ago about the media, and it said that while crimes are actually down about 10-20 percent, they are actually reported 400 percent more than they used to be, so it SEEMS worse, but it's not. Having said that, it is clear that our leadership (not just the president, but leaders of corporations, etc) is obviously more corrupt and morally empty. That is a change from the past (with exceptions of course).
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  9:35:04 PM  Show Profile
You know, talking about 9/11 and not realizing what had happened...this reminded me of something that happened to my hubby and I.

Remember the guy in Cour d'lene (sp? as I don't have the map in front of me) ID who killed the mom, boyfriend, the oldest boy and then kidnapped the little girl and smaller boy and then later killed the little boy?? Well, I actually saw the guy in the Flying J truck stop, didn't see the girl but for some reason the guy 'stood' out for me. Something about him gave me the creeps. Later when I saw on TV the shot of them gassing up the stolen vehicle, I felt kind of sick. Also his mug shot. I have driven by that house (did so just today as a matter of fact) and it's just exudes a sadness. It should be demolished, IMHO.

Winona ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  05:11:59 AM  Show Profile
I don't watch any news programs. Much too depressing and really, 2/3 of the content isn't even news anymore. My husband is an avid news watcher, especially the weather report. I tell him to just look out the window. :) That way none of us have to be depressed by what preceeded it!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Does the news ever get you down?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page