Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Outdoor games for pre schoolers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Outdoor games for pre schoolers Next Topic  

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile
We are having the end of the year picnic next week for my sons' pre school class and I need to come up with a few games for the kids to play. The class is made up of 3 & 4 year olds. The kids are speech delayed, so instructions need to be brief. I've thought of Red Rover & Duck, Duck, Goose. After that I'm stumped. Can anyone think of a fun game that doesn't require too much equipment?

Thanks, Dawn in IL

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  8:38:42 PM  Show Profile
It's fun to play a game of copy me! Have the kids lay on their backs and kick like a roach, on all fours like a lion and "growl", paw like a kitten. Then they can slither like snakes on their tummies, etc, etc. Find all new animals and they have a blast. I run a daycare and this is the technique I use when I need them to stay in one place and be a little quiet. "snakes can't talk, they can only ssssssss" Keeps them occupied and quiet for a little while. Then, if you have older kids around, let them take turns on picking the animal!

It's fun to pre-fill small water balloons and lay them in the grass like easter eggs. Then when someone says go, they get to go pick them up and throw them at a board with a clown or funny face painted on it. That way the kids don't throw the balloons at each other and get wet, but they get to run, throw, compete, and get something wet! I did this at my daughter's 2nd birthday and the kids LOVED it!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  05:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much Heather for the games. They sound perfect for our picnic! The kids are just finishing up with the letter Z and of course zoo animals is what they've been working on. The copy game will be a terrific follow up for that. I had looked on the web & wasn't really coming up with anything practical.

Thanks a million!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  06:05:55 AM  Show Profile
It's probably going to be hotter than blazes so why not some water games? We have played the fill the bucket game where they run to fill a container on the otherside with water. A non breakable cup works well and they take turns trying to fill it up.

Egg (plastic) and spoon race! For little ones a large ladle works well.

Pair up and have the kids hop together to reach the finish line (like a three legged race for small fries!)

Have fun!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Ring/bean bag toss, sidewalk chalk that they can just draw with

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:17:50 AM  Show Profile
When I was a Head Start teacher, the kids used to love to play "Bug In a Rug". Have all the kids hide their eyes, they pull one kid aside and put him in the middle of the circle with a blanket over him. then have the other kids open their eyes and figure out who was under the blanket. They wanted to play it over and over and over again and everyone wanted to be the bug.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Water games are ALWAYS a big hit. I buy a cheap (6.99) slip and slide thing each year at Walmart and let the kids use it all summer. By the end of summer it is totally worn out and has sure paid for itself..the kids love it. All ages.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  07:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much ladies for all of your excellent suggestions. I'm going to try to play as many games as we can for our picnic. I'm hoping the little ones will have tons of fun with their farmgirl games!

They're calling for 78 & thunderstorms for next Wednesday. Of course that can change at any moment. I'm hoping for some sunshine anyway. Thank you again for all of your great ideas!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile
i just got a wonderful book with side walk chalk games in it .. if you need some of those ideas .. jus' let me know.

i reeeeeeeeeeely love WIN/WIN games! i know 'competition' is o.k. .. but i ALWAYS make sure that EVERY child wins and EVERY child gets a prize!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Outdoor games for pre schoolers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page