Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING? Next Topic
Page: of 3

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great links, Kim! Those are going to be a big help. I like the idea of the grocery game!

I'm glad to hear reports of how everyone's doing! Don't sweat the small stuff or be too hard on yourselves about little blips here and there...the point of this whole thing is just to learn to THINK differently about how we spend our money. You're all doing GREAT!!

Dan and I had been attempting a cash-only lifestyle for months before Buy Nothing Summer began, but it never seemed to work out. We always had something on the credit card bill at the end of each month and though we've always paid off those bills in full right away...it was such a drag on our checking account.

Therefore, the first month of Buy Nothing Summer has been a bit hard. We paid off last month's credit card bill and then vowed "cash only" for the rest of the month. Since we'd been "buying now and paying later," that meant that this month was (is) a little tight. But the good news is that next month, I won't have that $650 credit card bill to pay off (!) and will be able to put more of that towards our retirement savings and the kids' college funds.

We still only allow ourselves a set amount of money (in cash) from each paycheck and have to make it work all the way through to the next one. It was hard at first, but we're getting the hang of it!

I also think that it's nice to have an excuse like Buy Nothing Summer as sort of a free ticket OUT. Why would we go to the Mall of America on a rainy day? We can't buy anything anyway and you know...we don't NEED anything there anyway, so let's think of something else to do. Way more fun.

Keep at it, everyone! It's fun to hear your stories!

Catherine

My Blog: http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

My Etsy Shop: http://yogurtandgranola.etsy.com

Buy Nothing Summer Blog: http://buynothingsummer.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  1:19:31 PM  Show Profile
I am not buying things for me, but this effort has shown me how many things I buy for others! I love to buy gifts and give them, so I continue with that, trying to be frugal!!!! My daughter's birthday is July 4. So is mine, but that does not matter! I have all I need.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page