Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING? Next Topic
Page: of 3

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I support you & I am cheering you on, (visualize- yellow & purple pompoms)
I am in the middle of selling & buying & moving to a new home & state so I can not participate, but probably by next year when I am broke from all the moving expenses I will be able to, whether I want to or not! LOL!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  10:44:30 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I'm sorry to say that I have no idea why you can't login to the blog. I'm technical enough to write a blog and invite others to be authors, but I'm not sure why your Google login won't work on this one! There's nothing special about the set-up on this one, just another blog. Could you check with Blogger for help? Good luck! (And if it still just doesn't work, please post comments on the blog or here. We still want to know what you're up to this summer and keep you in the loop!)

Catherine :)

My Blog: http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

My Etsy Shop: http://yogurtandgranola.etsy.com

Buy Nothing Summer Blog: http://buynothingsummer.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  11:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine!!

Just letting you know that I finally figured out what to do and am now signed up at the blog! Thanks for letting me join in!!
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I hope it isn't too late-I just sent my e-mail to join in. I actually started trying to "buy nothing" in January, but my will has wavered recently-I'm hoping this will get me back on track-I was going for a year-might have been a little over-ambitious!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  12:05:09 AM  Show Profile
I sent an email too. This is such a great idea! I need something to help me save money.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  07:50:05 AM  Show Profile
I just sent my email, and forgot to tell you it was from me, jpbluesky! So, it was from me.

Jeannie :)

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 02 2007 08:48:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  6:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Is it too late to join you all? Even though we also have been living fairly frugally compared to most people, we could use a definite kick in the pants at this point! ;-) I'll drop you an e-mail if it's not too late Catherine...

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  9:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine,
It will have to be a Buy Nothing Winter camp for me - lucky there is so much yarn in my stash to keep me happy in front of the fire! Including a gorgeous watermelon one sent by some farmgirl - oh, that was you!! I have finally found the pattern I want to use for that, so have it lined up ready to go. I am making a triangular shaped wrap with ties - the yarn is just too gorgeous to hide under long skirts as socks.
There is a book here called Living The Good Life. They lived without spending anything except their mortgage, rates and insurance payments (and if there were any emergency medical payments). They wouldn't even allow themselves to replace toilet paper if it ran out. They certainly saved a lot of money!!
This will be good for hubby. I try to convince him that we could afford to move to a farm as we don't NEED a lot of the stuff that money is wasted on. Maybe this will help to convince him!
Best wishes all,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  05:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Fantastic! For all of you Farmgirls who have sent emails to sign up, your blog invitation emails have been sent out so check your email. It's never too late to sign on. This is a "make your own rule" kind of project since each family/person is so different with their needs, so you can jump in whenever you're ready.

Jayne, so glad to hear that you've found the perfect project for that yummy yarn! (And even though I'm looking forward to gardening and summer camping way over here on this side of the world, I'm still a little jealous of your cozy fires and knitting all winter long! My favorite season...)

Happy saving!

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  7:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls!

How have the first eleven days of "Buy Nothing Summer" gone for you? What stories do you have to tell?

My husband and I just made a new garden for "dirt cheap" and there are photos and tales on the blog:

http://buynothingsummer.blogspot.com

Take a look!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  9:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Well, since I can't log into the blog, I'll post here. I am doing AWESOME so far!! I had a three day craft show that I was a vendor in this past weekend, and I didn't buy ANYTHING from the other vendors. Usually pretty tough to do - there were over 80 vendors there. Next door vendor kept bugging me to trade - she had silver jewelry, but I held firm - told her I was in it for the CASH. LOL. Anyway, so far, so good. Feels really good.
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  05:11:20 AM  Show Profile
I haven't bought anything that was a necessary purchase- which is my plan. I'm going to use what I have this summer, since I have four million patterns already (my purcashing weakness). I bought two books on half.com last week though... they were instructional books about children's writing, which is my summer project (a children's/middle grade chapter book). As far as yarn and fabric- if I don't have an immediate creation for it, I'm not going to buy it. That seems to be the best way for me to approach the "buy nothing" idea...

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Do I have to count the electric spinner and milk bottles I've purchased here on the list?!

No really, I haven't been doing so well--not terrible, but not great either. I have to sit down and write down my plan so I can stick to it! Right now after I buy something I think, "Gosh, I shouldn't have gotten that." Not really the point of the whole program is it? But then again, that's how I am on a diet most of the time too--just AFTER I eat that big piece of chocolate cake I stop to wonder if it was really on my diet or not! :)

Happy Summer to you all!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  07:04:21 AM  Show Profile
Kathy- I'm glad you posted how you're doing, so I can fess up that some of my not spending is because other ebayers are outbidding me. :) That's okay though, if fate intervenes and makes me realize that I didn't need whatever it is I want. (WANT being the operative word)

Kim in NC, who is making her grocery list and sticking to it.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile
I have flubbed up, but mainly on gifts for others. So I may amend my plan to allow me to spend on other people (Father's Day, my son-in-law's birthday and his mission trip to Mexico, sundresses for the grandgirls). And then I found a beautiful rose-pink long flowy skirt - it had been $72.00 and I got it for $10.00! (Shows you how much of a mark-up retail has). I caved on that one. Will keep trying!!!! It is a hard habit to break, the fun spending, but a good lesson to learn!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  07:16:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, you're all doing great! I think one of the biggest hurdles is just THINKING about it. For our family, it's the mindless spending that was really getting us down. Now we THINK about everything and it's made a world of difference already.

As for "what's okay and what's not okay," remember, we all set our own rules with this program. Jeannie, I think it's great to allow purchases for others! It's hard for us to completely stop giving too. We're just trying to re-think and make it a more valuable and hopefully less expensive gift!

Keep on, keepin' on everyone! Remember, this is supposed to be fun!

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  08:15:32 AM  Show Profile
Golod morning! I have never been one just to buy something if I don't need it. We were given a lot of seeds and plants for our garden this year. Also, I did buy impatiens....two flats for $20 at the farmers market! I still have freezer bags from last year, too. I am using the material I already have to make aprons and am also making a blanket out of leftover yarn. Gas is what's biting us hard right now. We've been eating fresh asparagus from our garden and the Amish kids have been bringing two quarts of strawberries a day to us. They are so good! I just paid off two bills, too, which has made my dh and I very happy! Keep writing, ladies, so I can get more inspiration! Susan
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  05:16:18 AM  Show Profile
I still have to figure out how to access the blog. I've been so busy lately I hadn't had time to buy anything! I did go to Walmart yesterday and bought only one item: bobbins for the sewing machine. Which is for me unheard of! I'm still sticking strong to this, but it's so hard.
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  09:11:46 AM  Show Profile
okay I'm in need to get out of debt, its really taking a toll on us. So will update on progress as much as possible. This is a great idea!! May have to continue it thru the fall or until all our credit card debt is payed off. Definately until the credit card debt is gone. Thanks everyone for the inspiration
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile
this is the first time I read this post.
I just wanted to share that I have always been in charge of all the money and we have been living pay check to pay check, barely. The last couple months I have gone over and last month was $500 over. We get paid once a month and the bank called to inform me on the 16th that we were over drawn. I usually hide it from my DH, because he has no idea what's going on. This time I decided to tell after a few horrible days. Well, I got the money taken away from me and now I have to ask for everything and show receipts. This is my first month of not buying anything. You know what, I don't even care! I am so glad to have all the pressure and guilt taken away that I wish I would have sucked it up and admitted I couldn't do it a long time ago. AND we have money again! We are going to have about $500 to put in savings this month. PLUS my husband is alot nicer because he knows whats going on. Life is good again. So stick to it girls, it's worth it and if you are as bad as I am and know you have a shopping problem, I hope this will inspire you to ask for help.

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  08:21:14 AM  Show Profile
For me its going pretty well so far as Im still in between houses with the move...just buying the necessities as we go along. But the big challenge for me will come when we get to VA and there will be things we need for the house. But I am planning on making some rag rugs for the kitchen, using a lot of my fabric stash for pillows and such. Hopefully freecycle or craigslist will help us out with any furniture needs.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share two of my fav financial sites/links/activities.

The first is www.daveramsey.com It's the Dave Ramsey site, and he's on the radio. We used his ideas to get rid of our 14 credit cards and get completely out of debt (about 20K in credit card debt, a car payment, etc). The only thing we have left is the house payment. He's on stations all over the country, and if you're lucky enough to have DSL, you can listen online. Really, check him out.

Second is a new thing for me- www.thegrocerygame.com It's a site where you "buy" weekly lists for your grocery stores. The listmakers have cataloged the weekly sales (based ona 12 week sale cycle), added the coupons savings (you have to get coupons each week- I buy two newspapers),and the find the best deals for buyers to stock up on. Sounds like you could do it yourself, and you can, if you want to keep a 12 week cycle of all the sales in your fav stores and lists of coupons available. I pay $15 every 8 weeks for two store lists. So far, I've dropped my grocery bill from $100 a week to $60 a week, and I'm trying to get down to $50 a week. Basically, the list tells you when things are at their lowest prices and then you use your coupons to stock up on those things you need. I'm buying more and spending less than before. For example, I stocked up on dishwasher detergent when it was on sale (and I had a bookoo of coupons for it), and now I have six months worth. Now I don't have to buy it at regular price just because I'm running out. It's really turned into a game to see what I can get cheapest. You can get a trial period of 4 weeks for a dollar- and that accesses you to all the store in your area that have lists.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  06:02:13 AM  Show Profile
I had a relapse. I bought a book, and some bulky yarn. The yarn was on clearance for .97 a skein and the book was about charity knitting, so I don't feel TOO bad, but it was a relapse, nevertheless.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  07:28:16 AM  Show Profile
We're doing good except for baby and bridal showers. My daughters, my best friends daughters baby showers, and two girls at work are having bridal showers! I haven't done too badly but it seems this stuff comes all at once! Susan
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  07:37:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm doing terrible!!!! I feel so guilty! Our house is under construction and I've done some shopping therapy because I hate the mess... Then I have buyers remorse AND my hubby gets really upset with me!!
My daughter is really into Dave Ramsey too. I'm gonna borrow her book as soon as she's done with it and get inspired. She and her husband are planning to pay off all their student loans and buy a house. They live on a cash only basis because of Dave Ramsey! They are doing great!!!She's a SAHM too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buy Nothing Summer-HOW'S IT GOING? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page