Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Our fun day at the flea market
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Our fun day at the flea market Next Topic  

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  09:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you farmgirls set up booths at the flea market? I've always wanted to try and finally did it. It was a great day and we even made new friends, which was one of the best parts. There was live country and western music, which made it even more enjoyable. We did pretty well with sales, but of course ended up bringing the majority of everything back home with us. I'm pretty sure it's always that way, and that's the only downside (all the packing and unpacking). My boyfriend sold his extra garden seedlings and our strawberry lemonade was quite popular. Next time, I want to figure out how to simplify a little better, even though I think we did pretty well for our first try. Anyone have advice to share?

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Looks great! Good job. I go to many different venues all summer. I do have a favorite flea market which I just booked for this weekend( memorial day). My suggestions would be-
post who you are- I have a farm name which I use that way people can find you if they ask the main ofice
I always have the same spot every time I go
Bring some crafting projects with to do there- I usually am crocheting or stitching. People like to see you at work with what you sell.
variety and pricing. keep a good variety of things and disply them nicely. The more time you take and effort you put into your display shows hwo highly you regard your work. keep pricing simple. i hate to make change for weird amounts so I keep things on the dollar- instead of 3.95 or the like. or keeping it with only quarters helps you be ready for change instead of having nickels and dimes etc.
remember everyone wants a deal. I don't sell for less than what its marked unless they buy a quantity of things. then I will give them a break.
bring lots of bottled water. sounds silly but I just have a hard time buying water at these events. 1.50 for a 20 oz water seems crazy when I can fill a few jugs at home for free.
And for me with soap and lotion etc, I make a ton of sample packs to hand out. People always love freebies- I know I do- so I have a sample box set out and have people pick something if they stop by.
Product knowledge is key. Customers love to hear about how the product is made and what ingredients you use. I have signs and interesting info posted fro them to browse and always answer any questions they may have, including why the product I have is better. Then I always include info when they buy on how to order more- where ot find me and my business card. And I always wrap their items carefully intissue and in my own bags (which are simply brown lunch bags with my sticker on them) I had a freind in hotel school at Cornell and she always said presentation is everything.

hope that helps- flea markets are fun to do and you can build up some great friendships there with other vendors- I have been lucky to have met some awesome people.

Make sure you take the time to go check out the other booths- you may find some great ideas or something you just have to have- I always look for the wire egg baskets and trunks- my two favorites!

Good luck!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.firehousesoapcompany.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:45:55 AM  Show Profile
Out of curiosity, what's the going rate in your area for a flea market space for the weekend? I think it's kinda high around here.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  11:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think your display looks wonderful. Really bright colors and bright whites attract attention so I would make sure you have those to the edge of your space.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Love the tips, Beth! This particular flea market is only once a month, but booth space is FREE :)

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I pay $10.00 for a space and $2.00 for each table I use. There isn't a set arrival time which I really like in case I have other things going on that weekend.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.firehousesoapcompany.com
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I think it looks really good..
I the way you have it all set up your eye naturally travels from the table up to whats haning.. not just things lying flat on the table.. or hanging oddly.. you've displayed really well i think..

Terrific!! Good luck Sweetie!!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
I was right - space is high around here. I paid $50 for a weekend.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  7:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Cute sign!

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Our fun day at the flea market Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly