Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a bit of a problem, a very cute problem, but a problem nonetheless. I have a raised bed and have some eggplants and peppers planted and we have a sweet bunny having a grand old time with them. Any advice on a nice way to keep this fella out of my veggies? My black kitty, Mikey, is slacking!

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  9:11:03 PM  Show Profile
No Michelle, I have the same problem with cottontails and I am sure that someone a lot brighter than I will give you some ideas but I have just learned to plant enough for all of us (bunnies and people too.) Good luck!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  06:03:19 AM  Show Profile
That's what I am doing right now, he's such a little guy. Dark brown with a white tail. I was thinking-- hoping really-- they didn't like the smell of some kind of herb or something. I guess I can always start putting scrap veggies over where I have seen him come out of. We just have a fox problem here and last time the bunnies got bad so did they.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  06:14:59 AM  Show Profile
This sounds kindof silly, but what about chicken wire, on posts around the top of your raised bed (is it made from wood?)? High enough that bunny's can't get in, but low enough that you can bend over and weed.

I have an 8 x 8 bed and though we have a LOT of wildlife (raccoons, bunnies, deer, foxes, etc...) I haven't seen anyone chomping on my stuff yet...

I would try some type of low fencing maybe?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  05:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was wondering if I bought some of that little fencing and put it around the top. I am not sure, we have gotten a bunch of rain and I haven't seen the little fella. I also saw a stray cat hanging out in the yard last night pacing where the bunny usually hides.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There is also a thread going about squirrels. I posted a link that has tips on how to get almost every type of garden pest to be deterred from munching on your garden. I hope that info helps too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bunnies!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page