Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Tomato Help Next Topic  

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I am growing tomatoes in containers, and the plants are nice and tall. However, a few days ago, the leave at the bottom of the plant began to turn yellow and look withered. What is the problem? The leaves up top are still green, though they look a little droopier than I would like. Up until now, they plant has been bushy and beautiful. I am sure this is a watering issue, but I don't know if it is too much watering or too little. Help!!!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  7:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah- It sounds like they might be thirsty. If your containers have holes for drainage, you usually have to water a lot more. Also if they are in a really hot place, they might be baking a little bit too much.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  3:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am running into this with my seedlings and I am thinking that is is because they are root bound. I can't put them in the greenhouse just yet and they have plenty of water. It was the only thing I could think of you might check that they are in a big enough container.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile
One thing I have learned about tomatoes is that you really have to bury them deep "up to their necks." All those little fuzzies growing out of the stem will turn into roots if you bury them and the plants need all the roots they can get. I'm not sure this will help your problem but I really have good luck with my plants. I can tell you, I really do dig deep holes.
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I live in Louisiana too. I have my tomato's in containers. They did the same thing, I was reading that it is from the soil splashing onto the leaves when you water. I also used some chamomile tea on them and it made most of the problem go away. I actually have several green tomato's growing right now.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah-

How are the tomatos doing? Recovering I hope! Mine are still a bit puny, but they are still pretty newly planted. I am sure they will be huge by the time I get back from my trip to Wyoming.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need Tomato Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page