Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Congratulations to MaryJane! She's in MORE Mag!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Congratulations to MaryJane! She's in MORE Mag! Next Topic
Page: of 2

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh gosh Michele, I wasnt talking to you...mostly in general. I actually was defending you...didnt come across like that I guess. I was just saying - well I dont know...I just like it when everyone is happy I guess. I havent even completely read the article yet...the library gave me a copy but I have been too busy. So I probably should have butted out instead of in. I apologize if I came across as accusing you. I most certainly was not. I dont always agree with everything that is said/printed/advised. But I sure do like this place...and you all have been so good to me...especially lately. Big old Farmgirl Hugs...and I am butting back out!

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. What a boring world it would be if we all thought alike! One of the things I love about this forum is talking with women from all walks of life with all different opinions. I mentioned in a different post that I think MaryJane and her writings are truly "bridge makers". How many people in this world can bridge all different walks of life as beautifully as MaryJane? I know that without her I would have never met any of you ladies and I am so profoundly grateful to think of all of you as friends.

Michele I am so sorry that you received a not so nice email. That isn’t much in keeping with the farmgirl spirit. :( *Farmgirl Hugs*

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  1:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Good morning! Sort of. It’s early morning here but I just ran full speed nearly straight up the hilly pasture in the back of my farm to wake up/rally a sleeping guest in my B&B. The tent she is in is under attack from an early morning spray plane. It sounds like a war zone. I assume they’re spraying aphids in the field adjacent to my property. The pilots are supposed to let me know well in advance when/if they are going to to spray.

Trying to eliminate the toxins in our lives has been my life’s work thus far. It ends up being an alliance here, a letter to the editor there, something said in passing, a magazine to write, a book, a crop to buy or grow, a package of food to sell - but it’s ongoing and it’s daily. It never ends. Oh, but I do get weary.

Last night in the basement of a local church, I taught a two-hour cooking class. The premise of my class was how to convert to eating organic food on a budget. I was so pleased to stand before twenty eager people ready and willing to convert. (TV would turn that reach into 200,000 at a time.) I remember many years ago when my classes/ideas drew only one or two people.

This REACH I seek, this notoriety I’ve fueled is of course FUNDED somehow. Publicity is a free ad. I take it whenever I can get it. MORE Magazine came to the farm two years ago. It’s a magazine written for city women, so the story was written with that appeal and spin in mind. I wasn’t misquoted at all (sometimes I am) but when you agree to an interview you give up complete control over how it turns out. I was interviewed for two days in person, as well as phone updates that continued for two years. (Magazines NEVER let you see beforehand what they’ve written, although I always provide approval text to the people in MY magazine.) I was very pleased when I finally saw what they’d written. I’m ecstatic to think they gave us nine pages. More reach, more fuel.

Michelle, I’m puzzled by your remark that the article “made MJ farmgirls sound like mindless drones.” Perhaps you felt left out somehow? The number of subscribers to my magazine that you say has taught you so much hasn’t grown fast enough!! I need more publicity, MORE features. In order for me to continue to publish it, I may have to resort to ads, something I said I’d never do. (My fear is I won’t be commercial enough!) But if I charged its actual costs, you’d have to get out two $20 bills every time you bought one. You are subsidized by those who DO buy my foods and products. I am and have always been a commercial enterprise.

Whenever I panic about my debts, the financial risks I take or how often I borrow from Peter to pay Paul, I remind myself - my “good fortune” isn’t just money. (Although if I had enough, I’d buy the ground that was sprayed this morning!) My good fortune is my home. It’s my family. My husband. It’s the people who take the time to understand what all this is like for me and support me no matter what and keep the vibe good and positive - that list of supporters is long and growing! They are my coat from the storm.

This forum needs to be a safe place for everyone, including me, my family, and my employees. We work unbelievably HARD on all fronts to give you this free forum. We make tough decisions. On occasion we’ve had to block posters, imposters, eliminate entries/entire threads, jealous types (no one ever THINKS they are having a jealous reaction but deep down, it’s often green), you name it, we’ve seen it all. We won’t tolerate opinions that are upsetting to you OR to us and we’re not afraid to get heavy handed with the delete or block buttons.

This forum is not the place for toxic, hurtful remarks or opinions (there are opinions and then there are opinions) that are insensitive to others. That includes me. It’s unnecessary and it’s upsetting. We need conversations and remarks that aren’t toxic. There are enough surprise spray planes in our lives.

Our little town has been through hell this past week. When my daughter and others in town awoke to hours of sniper fire only blocks away from their homes in the middle of the night, they called 911. They were told, “No, you’re not safe, we have no idea what is happening, get down, turn off your lights.” In the dispatch center, friends of friends, four and six months pregnant, crawled on their hands and knees as bullets sprayed the walls above their heads. My daughter’s best friend works there but had traded her shift that night. We didn’t know that. We had no idea if she was alive. At some point, my children as well as others from town came up with a plan … the farm. They ran for their cars cradling their babies, hoping to somehow make it to safety. Eventually I found or made makeshift beds for everyone who showed up.

Let this farm and forum be your sanctuary too. Let it be our comfort and our joy. Let it be where we lend a hand. Let us be kind and tender and CAREFUL.

Let it be our safety zone. Let it be mine.

Like Soapmaven said, “I just like it when everyone is happy…”

In the future, watch what you say and how you say it. Think about and contemplate beforehand the fallout your “opinion” might create and who it might hurt. We’re rich, we’re poor, we’re religious, we’re not, we’re sick, we’re healthy, we’re republican, we’re democrat, we’re apolitical. We’re all of it and more. Keep a green bough over your heart and a singing bird will come!
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, MaryJane for sharing your heart. We're all glad you are there on your farm and were able to be a safe harbour to those in need during a storm of bullets!
Keep up the incredible job you do to make all of our lives better and this world a better place to live!
Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane -- thank you for sharing your feelings with us. This place is a sanctuary for me and for many others. It's a place that I come to several times a day to catch up on what is going on with my "family". If it was not here I would have a huge space left in my life. The friendships that I have made here in the last two years are some of the closest I have ever had. It's because of the commerical endeavors of MaryJane's Farm that we have this place to come to. Keep doing what you're doing -- we'll keep supporting!!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on May 24 2007 4:40:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  5:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Amen.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:41:52 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Kay. And well said, MJ. Just as you are a beacon for us Farmgirls, know that we are always here for you.

love,
P

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  11:33:42 PM  Show Profile
After reading the article and talking about this thread with my hubby he said "This sounds like a 'my farmgirl is bigger than yours' thing" and I think he was right- maybe we all have our idea of just who farmgirls are, and just how 'real' a farmgirl should be and that is fine and well. There are so many beautiful ideas offered up by the folks at the farm and we all decide just how much we want to take into our daily lives. It is not so important whether you are living in a big old city daydreaming with the books and sprouting seeds on your windowsill and or a back-to-the-lander who is saving up for new organic sheets while planning her garden and mending Nana' quilts-
To some of you farmgirls this article, and the farm's business ventures are welcome signs of a sister who has worked hard to share her slice of paradise with the world- to others they just don't jive with what you want the farm and Mary Jane to be- but that is your own feeling
Either way let's just keep it positive here on the forums- you are all sitting down to tea together and should act as friends...
Would you tell your girlfriends at home the things you said to Mary Jane about her being too commercial, because I would be telling my girlfriend that I was proud of her and that people are lucky to be shelling out their hard earned money for products made by someone with a conscience- and that is hard to find these days. It bothers me to see people trashing MaryJanesFarm for succeeding in bringing lessons of a simple, thoughtful lifestyle to more people- especially on the forums that the farm works so hard to maintain.
Farmgirls ought to be one another's safe haven- I truly know, after a long hard week here in Moscow, how important that coat from the storm can be.

Be Well- Rebekka

Nature does not ask permission. Blossom and birth whenever you feel like it!

Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  04:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Well said MaryJane. I hope I didnt add to the problem by butting in. It makes me want to jump to your defense, like I would anyone I consider a friend. I do wish so much everyone could glean what they want, leave the rest and not spin negatively. You know you have my unwavering support, for what that is worth. You and yours have blessed my life beyond my greatest expectations. Where else could I have come, bared my soul, shared my hurts and fears and gotten such a response as I have over the past few weeks? No where. To quote you "Farmgirl is a condition of the heart." Isnt that enough for us? To be bound my heartstrings and apronstrings? Dont we have enough discord in our lives without bringing it to our haven?

I suppose I am at a loss as to how folks think any of this we enjoy is possible without the commercial aspect. I appreciate everything you do for me and the rest. I was taught it was rude to look a gift horse in the mouth. And you are so generous with all of us. And bottom line: this is YOUR place. Your gift to us. We all need to appreciate it more.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Congratulations to MaryJane! She's in MORE Mag! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page