Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  10:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have a wonderful Jean quilt that my Grandmother started to make for me before she passed away due to cancer. She made a quilt for all of my older sisters, and a friend of hers finished mine for me.

I still use this quilt today. It is so durable and well made. The only thing that has shown any wear is the lace edging.

Does anyone else make these Jean quilts? Do you sew them on your sewing machine? I want to try making a few since I have whole plastic tub of jeans that I will probably never fit into again.

Any tips or tricks?

Alee

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  3:39:51 PM  Show Profile
I should think you'd have to cut the thick seams off and only use thinner denim if you're going to machine stitch it. Could you put a picture of it on here so we may see it? I'm always looking for new ideas! Thanks. Susan
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  3:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I have made a jean quilt and each of my girls made one. They are the rag quilts I think they call them. We used flannel for the backing? We did them on the machine and had to use a heavyweight needle. It worked up quickly but gets heavier as it gets larger.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
As soon as Nora falls asleep again, I will post some pictures :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is a link to some pictures. One side is the jean and cotton pattern material and the other side is just the patterned material. In one picture I folded over a 1/4 of the quilt so you could see both sides. Don't mind the dog :) She loves being in the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I just posted about rag quilts on your other thread about using flannel, but here is a link for one specifically made with jeans. I think these are so nice and they work up fairly quickly.

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.com/rag-quilt.html

~~Anne

www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures

Edited by - BackyardTreasures on May 21 2007 6:09:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Anne! That looks like lots of fun!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  08:41:11 AM  Show Profile
There was a pattern for a log cabin quilt in the Country Woman magazine a year or so ago, it looked really neat with all of the different colors of jean. I have been tempted to try it out with all of the worn out jeans we've got laying around.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  09:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Anne, those instructions were a great find! I had no desire to make one of these, but the instructions were so simple that I am definitely going to do one. I have plenty of jeans that cannot be donated because of holes in...certain places, so this will be a GREAT way to recycle them. Someone posted about a sale at Joannes this wekend, and I will see if I can pick up some flannel.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  11:21:35 AM  Show Profile
i've always wanted to do a jean quilt too..
But shy away from it all the time it just always seems to be so big & thick & heavy!! & then of coursecomes the needle braking & my cussing at the sewing machine again!! so.. there we are!
but i do love the way they look.. !

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  1:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay ladies-

I think I have decided to make a jean quilt. I have never ever quilted before so this will be a big learning experience for me.

The quilt is going to be going to someone very special to me who I hope will understand when the stictching might be less that perfect. (I am sure she will!)

Anyway- I do have a quick question.

I don't have a rotary cutter or one of those grided sewing mats. Would those be beneficial enough that I should budget to buy them? And how do you get really uniform quilt squares cut? Tips? Tricks?

Thanks!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  3:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
When I cut my denim squares I just used a cardboard template and taced around it with a pen. Then we cut them out with a good pair of shears. It worked fine. It is time consuming so if you are looking to cut down on that then it may be worth it to get the mat and rotary cutter.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  7:31:18 PM  Show Profile
I am in the process of making one using a light weight denim I found on clearance that has a small cherry cluster with leaves embroidered on it. the reverse is a light green flannel (which will show through to the denim side).
I would highly reccomend purchasing shears with a spring. these have made all the difference in cutting through all the layers once you get the quilt assembled. Also, a walking foot on your sewing machine is imperative.

I think I had started a thread on this a couple months ago called "rag quilt" and the ladies here gave some other excellent suggestions.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  8:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies!

I am going to use my jeans that I don't fit into anymore. I kept hoarding them, thinking I was going to eventually someday lose the weight. I still hope to, but I realize now that the jean fashions that I could wear in high school aren't going to look so great on my newly "motherized" figure :)

I made a cover for the Premiere Issue Journal that I am going to be sending around with the Premiere issue. I made squares and sewed a 2X3 block set. My sewing machine actually handled the denium pretty well so I am hopeful! I am really getting excited about making a quilt. It is something that I have wanted to do for a long time :)

I need to practice with my sewing machine because it has a few fancy stiches. It is supposed to be able to work like a embroidery machine for a few of the stiches, but I am just not that good at working it yet.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Jean Quilt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page