mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you live near St. Marie's Idaho? My son and his wife just drove over there today to make an offer on a piece of property and I was just wondering if any of you live in the area and if you like it. Sounds perfect for them - they have three horses and some hunting dogs. Guess they will live in the single wide thats there while they build a house and shop. (Or a shop and then a house if I know my son!)

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  12:56:35 PM  Show Profile
NOBODY lives near here? Wow! I thought someone would be in that area. It must be more remote than I thought! I just heard from my DIL - they are offering on 20 of the 30 acres and would really like us to offer on the other 10. Now I'm really curious about that area!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  2:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is a beautiful area between Cour D Alene and Moscow. It is a little off the beaten track, but I would buy land up there in a heartbeat. Small community, beautiful location. Close to the Cour D Alene lake, and mountains. You would be close to shoping (45 min drive) but far enought to be away from the worst crime. The landscape is very green and lush.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  5:53:12 PM  Show Profile
I've been to St. Maries many times in my life, the last time being a couple of months ago. As Alee says, it's a small town off the beaten path, yet not too far from bigger places (1-1/2 hours away approx.) like Spokane and Coeur d'Alene. The area is beautiful! A couple of our bookmobile routes take us north of St. Maries, to Kootenai Schools which is north of there (on the way to Harrison) and past the Chain of Lakes, near Rose Lake and Medimont. There are lakes and the St. Joe River, mountains, forests, a great state park (Heyburn)... Gorgeous area! I'm envious!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, St. Maries! Lucky couple! It is lovely. I don't live there, but we love to boat near there and hike in the mountains. They have a nice farmers market I've been too...very friendly. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  1:41:17 PM  Show Profile
I live up in Rathdrum but have been through St. Maries a few times and it seems much more like the kind of small town that would be really great to live in. Sorry....

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  5:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your input on st, Maries = it really sounds like a nice place. My son and his wife want to offer on 3 parcels and there is a "squatter" on one of them, not paying rent, that the owner has to get rid of before my son will offer. Hopefully that won't take too long!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  7:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here are some Links:
http://www.stmariesidaho.com/
http://www.stmariesidaho.com/scenics/scenics.htm

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  2:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri!

Any news on the St. Maries move?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:29:08 PM  Show Profile
My son and his wife are still buying it, but it's a messy deal. The owners of the property lived in Florida, and the husband died a few years ago. The wife didn't know much about her husband's affairs and there were renters living on a couple of 5 acre tracts. Well, when the husband died, the renters stopped paying rent and have lived there all this time rent-free because the lady didn't know about them. They consider themselves squatters and are not going to leave voluntarily. They really trashed the property too - my son calls those 2 tracts Dumpster 1 and Dumpster 2. Well, the wife finally got with the program and hired a local real estate to sell them and they are having to evict the two freeloaders (father and son). Soooo my son doesn't want to put any serious cash on it until he sees those guys moving out. As it is, they may just move out and leave their nasty single wides and all their trash there. If that's the case, their offer will be substantially less. In the end, he still wants 20 acres of it. I wish they'd hurry up so I can go visit them over there!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri-

That is disappointing about the squatters. I hope they move along soon! 20 acres of land up there should be really pretty though!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  08:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I love St. Maries. It is a fairly short drive from Spokane. I camp near there with my family on what is actually the back side of the Coeur d'Alene, but I think is called Chacolet (spelling it wrong I am sure!) There are a couple good antique stores in St. Maries. It is a sweet little town that has some well kept places, but also seems to have a lot of the "squatter" type people you mentioned. I think due to closures of lumber mills, there is a fairly high rate of unemployment which explains this. Seems like a nice quiet place though and is a very serene setting. Best of luck to your son and daughter-in-law.

Brenda

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  5:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Things are getting a bit closer for them to move over there. I guess they have completed step two of a three step eviction process. I really can't wait for them to move over there so I can go visit, although I will really miss them. It will be much closer to our home in Montana though.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri-

When they do move, you will have to let us know when you visit! St. Maries is a really beautiful drive from Moscow and I would love to meet up with you if you are in the neighborhood!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  9:47:47 PM  Show Profile
I absolutely will! I'd love to meet some of you in person - you already feel like friends.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  10:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, the guy buying their house came over tonight to finalize the deal, so they will be moving in the next couple of months - squatters or not. I talked to him tonight (my son, not the squatter!) and he said they will be going over there every weekend when it's finalized to build a shop to live in while they build a house. So, I may be over there sooner than I thought!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds great Sherri! It will be fun to get together!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic St. Maries Idaho Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page