Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Another "magazine" for US Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  7:04:59 PM  Show Profile
If y'all haven't looked at or bought "Country Living, UK edition" you should. It is at Barnes and Noble or Books-A-Million or other bookstores. This magazine is chocked full of farm recipes, gardens, decorating and just wonderful stories. The recipes are in "metric" so you have to convert, but the rest of the magazine is right up our alley with articles on animals, gardening, and farm life. PLEASE check it out. If you live in a small market you might have to go to a bigger city to find it. I loved it so much, I paid for a subscription "which is expensive" but I cherish every issue. Here is the website if you want to subscribe. http://www.countryliving.co.uk/

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  11:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I completely agree with Mollie! I love the magazine and am anxiously scanning the shelf of our local B&N for it to appear. Unfortunately, it takes about a month after the UK issue date for it to get to the US (at least to our remote TX area, maybe other cities are faster). I'ld think it's faster if you subscribe, but a big part of the expenses is probably the postage, which you save when buying at the store.
As Mollie said, great articles. I like the mix of "dirty hands" country stuff, intellectual interests and then the "girly" things here and there, like a little fashion (things you can actually WEAR when walking in your garden or down a dusty driveway!) and some beauty....What appeals to me is also the fact that they come from a perspective that is different from the sometimes all-too-conformist one you find in most American (women's) magazines.

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I will agree with both of you! I discovered this a few years ago and buy it as a treat for myself when I need one. It covers so many different topics and the "country life" is the one I grew up with , uncontrived, straightforward and just beautiful in the natural aspect of things where old things are revered and cherished. I wish Country Living(US) would take a look at it's early years and have a fit of "retro"!( Although this last issue was the first one I have liked in a very long time!)AS for Country Home...in my opinion they have just lost it entirely!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 05 2005 12:17:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  1:13:55 PM  Show Profile
I bought the latest issue of Country Home and what it photographs as a country house shows industrial appliances and lighting, and steel and brushed aluminum in the decor......I see where the magazine is trying to keep up with trends, but in the meantime it loses identity. My daughter liked it, though! So, maybe that is where their market target is.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  2:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Yes, even in the "big cities" the UK edition of Country Living is a month old when it appears at the bookstores. But the postage for the subscription isn't too bad because it comes from Great Britain by way of Canada I think. But with the subscription is arrives "on time" and not a month behind. It's my little treat to myself for the subscription. I agree that some of US editions of Country Living and Country Home are certainly lacking. The magazines I like are Southern Living, Cooking Light, Midwest Living (I'm originally from Kansas even though I live in AL), I usually also enjoy most of the gardening magazines.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  11:07:39 AM  Show Profile
I always liked Southern Living for the creative praticality and the RECIPES! I first saw "the flower pot people" there! Just this weekend I found a copy of Midwest Living at the market and bought it . I loved so many of the articles and enjoyed seeing mention of some places all of you are from. Meadowlark Jenny is from Salina and they mentioned a new museum at Rolling Hills Wildlife Center! Now I can ask her if she's been there yet!I like Yankee magazine too because I can catch up with family on some of the topics but it has changed over the past few years I think. At 45, I am not the target demographic anymore!
As for gardening magazines....Country Living Gardener is eye candy, not much helpful info, but the new Horticulture format is very reader friendly, but Organic Gardening and Mother Earth News will still be my all time favorites! Anyone out there like Victoria while it was still in print?I miss it, but lucky for me I saved most of my issues so I can revisit them!
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 06 2005 11:17:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  5:45:53 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I didn't even know Victoria wasn't available any more! We used to live in upstate NY and I bought it all the time. Then we moved to TX and when I couldn't find it I thought it was because this wasn't the right market for it.
One country related magazine I like a lot is "Hobby Farms". Have you ever read it? And, yes Mother Earth News, of cause. And then there is "Backwoods Home", but I'm not sure about it...sometimes I like it, sometimes it's a little "out there"....

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  07:51:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love this magazine! I am glad to have found others who love it as much as I do!
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile
I love Backwoods Home too. I guess I'm kind of "out there."
I find Mother Earth News to be not so practical for the real farmer on a budget. I have to laugh when magazines like Living Simple push organic sheets at $250 a set. Nice, but not always possible for someone who is trying to grow their own food and spend less time at work. Better to go to a garage sale and find a nice set of 50 yr old cotton sheets - those heavy ones that feel cold on your cheek on a hot night.

The magazine I think is essential is Countryside. It's full of articles by people who are actually "doing it."

Polly

http://mossbackmeadow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Polly,
I wholeheatedly agree with you! Specially regarding the "budget" part! The most hillarious thing is when I am thumbing through a publication that actually calls itself "Budget Living" and then has pages and pages of 1000$ sweaters, quartermillion $ sofas and the likes!!! Ugh, what a disappointment...

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:52:47 PM  Show Profile
I like "Taste of Home"...It has home style recipes from mainly the Midwest but it includes other areas as well, no gloss...it's kind of Home Ec teacher meets The Food Channel. Very approachable, healthy food ideas for mainstream country style cooking. They have cooking demos around the country and have been here in my hometown 3 times to a packed house! The editors are fun, friendly, entertaining and very skilled. The dishes they prepared were excellent.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  8:01:10 PM  Show Profile
I agree realme52, bought Budget Living when it first came out an it has changed. Bramble on of my all time fave's is Mother Earth! I also subscribed to Victoria for a LONG time, from when ir first came out until the early 90's, before I left it go. Then I kept all of my issues for several years after that.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  8:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention Countryside, I love that one too but don't get it as often as I would like.

Budget Living must be published by the same people who do Real Simple. What someone failed to tell them is that they should have named these publications "Budjet Living For those That Don't Need One" and "Really Contrived and Overpriced".I don't know about the rest of you but I can't remember the last time I thought to wear cashmere while raking the yard! And a $20,000 vacation reduced to 12,000 isn't in my budget now or most likely ever!
I loved Victoria magazine and miss it but atleast we can buy it on Ebay still ( for too much money!) Makes me wish I saved more!
Taste of Home has lots of recipes to try and I have tried plenty!
That was a good one to add to the list Jenny! I used to buy Reminiscence for my husband's Gran and I loved to hear all her old stories that got triggered from that magazine. Even my Dad liked it and he would tell us entirely different stories! . It's a shame they stopped publishing that one too!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Jul 13 2005 9:03:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  9:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Bramble!! Your mention of the Rolling Hills Wildlife Refuge and Museum was very timely! DH, Alexandra and I visited the refuge that week! I have an aversion to stuffed creatures. The new museum is nothing but animated real stuffed animals... No thanks. Taxidermy of any kind leaves me COLD! The refuge is another matter... LIVE creatures in real and clean beautiful surroundings. Reminds one of the savannas of Africa. Rolling hills, lush grasslands, trees, water sources. I remarked to DH, " I don't think we are in Kansas anymore"... I was super impressed. A wonderful lady hangs around the primate/great apes houses and is very knowledgeable on the primates there. She feels a kinship with them... She is a volunteer who just loves the apes... The thing that impressed me was there was no odor in any of the animals or reptile exhibits... immaculate and clean, and no feces anywhere. Grass pens, no concrete! It was the most humane and natural place for exotic and wild animals I have ever seen! I highly recommend anyone visiting it!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
kim and bramble !!!! how funny I subscribed to Victoria for a few years myself........I know I saved all my issues....they are probably in my basement ( not good) hopefuly in my front porch room
(better!)
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Rosebud
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lisa
IA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  10:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Country Living British edition is just about my favorite magazine these days. Love the storys of real families making a living on farms throughout GB.

Bramble, Kim and Atwell ~ Victoria magazine was the best! I have all the issues, reread them regularly to boost my spirits! My closest friends are a group of ladies I met through the Victoria website on a board much like this one!

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. H.D. Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:16:38 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I am sitting here laughing about Budget Living and Simple Living! Budget Living for Central Park West/Manhatten. I used to like the Oprah magazine, but is really the same type of thing. I felt exhausted when I finished reading it and realized that my lifestyle had nothing to do with High Style (and this was before I moved to the country!)

I loved Victoria and did buy it in Dallas.

I also have started reading Woman's Day and Good Housekeeping--even bought subscriptions. I am finding that I really enjoy the "back to basics" approach of these magazines. When I was in graduate school, trying to be a modern, cutting edge woman, I would have said "Never" if anyone had said that I would subscribe to these magazines! I also really like Mother Earth News even though my budget and skills usually don't match the projects. I also like Progressive Farmer even though there is some advocacy of using chemicals. I have found many useful tips, and the subscription is only $9.00 annually. Clare suggested another mag to which I subscribe. I am drawing a blank, but I believe that the title is: Country Style or Living for the Urban Homesteader. Help me here Clare, please. I just love it.

On a different note, I subscribe to an interantional magazine which is published in The Netherlands, that is called ODE. I just love the international perspective--the world has indeed become a very small place.
And then, of course, there is Mary Jane's mag, which is a real keepsake in my opinion.

Connie

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Connie, What is "ODE" about? I like international perspectives too...Might be interested in this also!

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  12:44:36 PM  Show Profile

Hi Meadowlark

Best way to learn more about ODE is to go to the website: www.odemagazine.com. Enjoy! I find it to be inspirational.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile
I like that ODE website. Very cool! When I have time I am going to go the future forest link to calculate my emissions. I like the idea of planting trees to offset co2. This link is in the story about Brad Pitt.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  2:29:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow Connie! Excellent reading on Ode! I like the fact that they "give" you a first issue... I will send in my info...Thanks for the recommendation!

Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile
i LOVE magazines and have piles of them i can't quite get rid of.

We raise exhibition bantams and other poultry and use the magazine "Small Farms Today" extensively. They have great links to websites and government publications that are often free from the extension service. It is chock full of useful information; stuff like where to get the best laying hens to how to raise sheep and so on.

I think you guys would like it.
talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile
hey friends ,you guys are so cool. how did i get so lucky to find you all .so nice to have people around who like the same things . countryside is great reading .but i do like the photos from all the others randi
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  12:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Late to the discussion, here, but I was so sad when Victoria stopped - I subscribed for years. Also get Cottage Living, Country Home, Country Living, Real Simple, buy Mother Earth News and occasionally Backwoods Home. Yesterday, when looking at the two, I chose Mother Earth and left Backwoods behind. Otherwise, I get Southern Living, Martha Stewart, Gourmet and Bon Appetit. Cooking is my thing! Am going to look for Country Living UK, now! Is Countryside available at stores?
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  2:19:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'm going to look for it. It seems like all the best magazines go out of business. I am still mourning the loss of "The Gardener," which White Flower Farms published for a brief, wonderful period. There were no photographs--only beautiful drawings and paintings--and the stories were actually long and in-depth, not just glorified captions for photos. (Have you noticed how short magazine stories are getting?) And they did not accept advertising, which may have been their downfall. I would have happily taken ads and paid a higher subscription price if only they'd stayed around. Sniff.

My husband publishes a small, indepdendent magazine, so I can say from experience that every subscription counts! If you love a particular magazine, subscribe early and often, and give it as a gift. Next to homemade gifts, I think books and magazine subscriptions make wonderful presents!

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm a magazine freak, too. When I'm done with them (after tearing out things I must keep) I give them to my daughter or my neighbor. I just gave a bunch to a farmgirl who paid for shipping. They're too expensive to throw away! I get just about the same ones as you girls. I was heartbroken when Victoria folded. I don't understand why. It was so popular! I also get Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion which at times can get too cutesy for me. I save the paperdolls for my granddaughter. Do anyone want back issues of that one? (Minus the paper dolls) I'll be glad to send them to someone who will enjoy them. I love the Brit ones, too and I get the French Marie Clair Idees which comes out a couple of times a year at Borders. It's in French, which I speak a little, but the embroidery and sewing is easy to figure out. I love the Brit embroidery mags too. Books and magazines are my one vice, but a harmless one, I hope. Happy reading!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Another "magazine" for US Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page