New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic So glad I found you all!! Next Topic  

aunt mary
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  04:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi-new from the midwest. We live on 22 acres of heaven. Our house is an 1887 farm house we've been renovating for the past 5 years. We have 1/2 acre of an organic garden, 4 acres of black walnuts (in process of clearing out the weeds and bramble) and 10 acres of crop land. We can our own vegetables and love living as country folk. We hope to live the full dream of living off the land.

I am so excited to chat with you all about my questions of making it to the next step of barnyard friends and being sustained here on the farm.

Aunt Mary

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  06:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Aunt Mary,
The midwest is great!
Sounds like your living a dream, please tell us more about your piece of heaven.
I think you'll love the forum.
I have learned so much and got great ideas from the great people here.
Enjoy,
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  07:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to our wonderful group, Aunt Mary! Looking forward to hearing more about you!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  10:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary!!! Your place sounds great...you are going to fit right in here!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  11:16:42 PM  Show Profile
I also live in the midwest and I farm in the big city, raising dairy goats, chickens, garden and kids, on 2/3 acre in a neighborhood. I sell goat milk, cheese, some eggs, and give cheesemaking classes. My husband is content with his job and never wanted to be a farmer, so we won't be moving. However, I am thrilled that after 14 years of me farming alone, he is beginning to pitch in after all.

Clearing out brambles and weeds under your walnuts will be a cinch if you put a few goats to work. They eat poison ivy too. You will need to fence them away from the rest of your yard, or they will also eat the garden and jump up onto your cars. Or you will need to learn how to tie them safely so they don't hang themselves.

If unfenced, they will likely run away the first day. An adult goat can crawl out of a hole 8" wide and 12" tall. A baby can get through a 4 x 6 hole. Horse fencing won't work. Cattle panels are easy to install and change around. Wire fencing with 4" holes is sometimes used out in the country, but I use panels here. One woman can put them up alone, even with a baby in the backpack. I did a lot of my fencing that way, even though it's a lot easier if you can put the baby down.

You will also need to feed and water new goats in a coyote proof shed or barn, so they will know where home is. I can fill you in on more details if you want.

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  05:12:06 AM  Show Profile
welcome aunt mary, what a spread you have. Love the black walnuts, makes a rich dye. You will love this site. Looking forward to getting to know you. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Aunt Mary - An 1887 farmhouse! Tell us more about what it looks like and how it came to be built. Do you know who owned it first? I love the history of old houses.

Welcome, and join right in with us on sharing your farm stories.
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

simplegirl
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Teresa
OR
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  08:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Aunt Mary! Sounds like you fit right in. Enjoy!

Until you make peace with who you are, you'll never be content with what you have. ~Doris Mortman
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  11:37:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Aunt Mary! Welcome! Your place sound so nice. I'm from the midwest transplanted to WA 20 years ago. But my heart is still in IL. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Kay
North Clark County Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

aunt mary
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  12:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to all of you for the rich, warm welcome. Our little spread here IS heaven--yet, the work seems to never end. The weekend was spent splitting wood (we have two wood burning stoves) and trying to clear algae out of the pond (big pond) and the usual chores around the place.

In reply to jpbluesky--we have been unable to find out much history about the house due to the place switching owners very often and the lack of records from our county and city. Yet, we know it's where we belong.

To City Goat Lady--will the goats eat burdock and creeping charley? These are the major weeds that have now thrived in the woods that we would like to clear out to have more pasture.

With blessings, Aunt Mary
Go to Top of Page

Robinwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Robin
Blacksburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  03:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Robinwolf an AOL message
Hi Aunt Mary! Please tell us more about your place - paint us a picture - it is fun to imagine these places. We don't have any farm animals (probably a town ordinance against it anyway), although we do have 7 dogs. I'm a Chapter leader in our tiny town - just trying hard to be as much a farmgirl as I can be. Are you a Chapter leader? If not, it sure sounds like you ought to be!!! Gather your friends, and then talk to CindyLou!
Welcome!
Robin (Pomlady)

Let the beauty we love be what we do. -- Rumi--
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Aunt Mary
Where in the midwest are you located? I live in MO. I'm hoping to find a few people who are in my area. I love it that you are living in such a historic house, despite the work to keep it up, it must be a dream.

Blessings on your place of heaven.

Lynda
STL, MO
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic So glad I found you all!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page