Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Ok all you scrapbookers, I need help..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ok all you scrapbookers, I need help.. Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  09:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am just starting to learn about scrapbooking and I have no clue where to start. I look at all of the beautiful work in the stores and online and frankly,I am lost. Any advice?

Cheers,

Heather

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Don't be intimadated, & just have fun....
Check out both Michaels & JoAnns websites for scrapbooking.
There are so many products to choose from. There are also some wonderful scrapbooking books.
I usually use my 40% off coupons when I by my crafting books.
Oh, and check out on the web, both HGTV.com & DIY.com these are wonderful sources as are the past episodes of the Carol Duval craft show.
tata-4-now
Have fun.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  2:07:41 PM  Show Profile

Take a class! I teach scrapbooking at my local Joanns. You will meet scrapbookers who are just beginning, and some who have for years and want a fresh start.

My biggest suggestion would be don't feel intimidated! You don't have to design a page for every photo, or include every photo. Only choose a couple pictures that mean the most to you, that when you look at it you want to tell a story about it to anyone who will listen. These are the ones to actually "scrapbook". The others belong in photo albums (the easy slide the picture into the sleeve kind, just make sure it is acid free).

the two books I recommend are by Cathy Zielske, Clean and Simple Scrapbooking and it's sequel. She talks about design, color coordination etc.

The mistake most beginners make, and I made it too!, is to purchase too much too soon. take it slow, project by project.

My favorite company to work with, and this goes against my Joanns instructor position so I keep my mouth shut about this when I am teaching, is Close to My Heart. Unlike other direct sales companies, they consistently have fabulous consultants. The CTMH products are exceptional quality and value. I love their papers, their inks, their stamps... you name it. Their beginner program is great, prelaid out pages, that you simply put your photos on and as you grow comfortable you add stickers, and stamped images or even layout your own page! but only when you are ready!
Their beginner pages are a great way to start to find out if you even like this hobby!
here is their website: http://www.closetomyheart.com/ and here is their phone number to find a consultant: 1-888-655-6552

I am not a CTMH consultant, nor a paid advertiser, just a very very happy consumer.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  3:06:03 PM  Show Profile
You might want to check out one of those scrapbooking magazines, they are full of ideas and inspiration, I get about three a month and I've learned alot from them.

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ok all you scrapbookers, I need help.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page