New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skin Cancer Next Topic  

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirls - it's skin cancer awareness month.
I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma 6 years ago and my health is great today because it was caught early. I never went to tanning booths, never had a blistering sunburn, just the usual teenage afternoons swimming at the quarry, working outside, etc.

Put on your straw hat and respect the sun! And get your skin checked too . . . .

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  1:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Great reminder! I get a "mole" check every year, too.
I'm getting new moles everyday, and the Doc said it's from those young "carefree" days in the sun!

Thanks so much!
J

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  3:28:42 PM  Show Profile
This is such a good reminder - we farmgirls usually DO spend a goodly amount of time in the sun, and it sure can't hurt anything to get checked out once in a while!

Polly - I am so glad that you health is wonderful now - that must have been SO scary! Gosh -

XOXO, Libbie

In honor of Mother's Day, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother...
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  6:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Excellent reminder! Having had 2 surgeries to remove basil cells I just wanted to echo this reminder and tell you all to be so very careful, use sunscreen and have anything that looks even a little funny checked!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  8:17:33 PM  Show Profile
psouper -- I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma 11 years ago. And it was from my childhood sunburns, teenage tanning sessions with baby oil and iodine, etc.

Farmgirls -- wear sunscreen every day. You get more sun exposure from just being in and out of the house than anything. Be sure to wear something on your lips that has sunscreen and protect your eyes with sunglasses. And don't forget to have an annual skin check from a good dermatologist. Make sure they check EVERYWHERE on your body because you can develop skin cancer on any spot -- including private areas.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com OR www.annarosetta.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  9:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminder. My Dr. suggested a "mole map" (I look like a Dalmation). So far, the task seems overwhelming. Washington has one of the highest skin cancer rates, I think I heard it has something to do with the angle of the sun through the atmosphere here in summer? Anyway, we should all be careful and help our kids learn too.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skin Cancer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page