Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I think I have Strep throat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I have Strep throat Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  9:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My fiance had to go to the doctor about a week and a half ago. He was sent home with antibiotics for strep and I think he passed it to me :(

I am going to try and beat it with salt water gargle. I hate taking pills and going to the doctor.

Alee

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  02:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Don't let it go too long. If you have a viral infection, may have to go to Ant.Bio. Clear the calender (LOL) lots of fluids and maybe a good book?
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  03:04:44 AM  Show Profile
You will need to get new toothbrushes or you will get strep again. We had several bouts in our home already.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh Alee! The worst time I was ever sick was when I had strep throat- so miserable! Lots of prayers for your speedy recovery! Don't be afraid to take antibiotics if you need them! Hugs!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I make garlic broth- really strong- and drink it all day. Just boil up several cloves of garlic in your favorite broth for about 10 minutes, let it cool and drink it. Bad breath but it seems to work. And yes change the toothbrushes and sterilize anything you drink out of. Hope you feel better!!!

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  08:44:12 AM  Show Profile
get better soon.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
you can also check out my etsy shops at:
photosbytina.etsy.com
and
GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile
Ugh. My daughter went through a period of time when all she did was get strep. It is such a miserable thing to have. Get on some antibiotics and get better soon!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to go to the student health clinic today. They will take walk in appointments where the main doctor's office usually won't. I also got a call from my apartment manager- the owners are going to do a walk through on Friday. Ugh. I tried to tell them that we are ill and very contagious but they don't seem too worried.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Hope your feeling better soon. Strep can make you feel so miserable. (((hugs)))

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Do you want to avoid antibiotics? Here is something that I have had success with. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE - but it is a "folk remedy." At the end of 48 hours, if you are not feeling better, you should report to your doctor for a full diagnosis and antiobiotic treatment.

I have purchased a big 'ole bottle of hydrogen peroxide (HP) and gargled with it every 2-3 hours, depending upon pain relief. I also soak my toothbrushes in HP, eventually replacing them midway through therapy. I put a few drops of HP in my ears after gargling, while my throat is still bubbling (on the basis that *EARS* and *THROAT* are connected...so is the nose, but I use my Neti pot to solve that, putting a few drops of Iodine in the water with the salt...)

If you are committed to avoiding antibiotics, this may do the trick...but you do have to be *religious* about the 3-hour regimen during the day and should follow it for 15-21 days. ~ Kaylyn

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com

Edited by - Vintage Redhead on May 09 2007 09:50:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  11:09:56 AM  Show Profile
GO TO THE DOCTOR. Do not pass go or collect $200. Don't make me send the winged monkeys.

(won't hurt to do all the herbals, either)

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  9:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! You ladies make me laugh (especially you Patricia!). My fiance drove me to the doctor. My strep test turned out negative so they sent me home to "get better" all on my own. I am glad it isn't strep though! I am gargling with salt water as that seems to work well with me. I also have done the peroxide treatments in the past so I am going to buy a couple of bottles at the dollar store. Possibly some rubbing alcohol to "dry" up my inner ears.

I don't like being sick so I am determined to get better ASAP! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Alyssa:

Glad it isn't strep, but sorry to hear that you feel so crummy! Feel better *SOON*!!! You're such a bright spot of sunshine around here and I'm blue for your illness ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile
glad it's not step. i use homemade chicken noodle soup on my kids when they're sick. it's a great cure-all for most ailments.

just an old fashioned girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  4:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kaylyn- Thanks! You are so sweet!

My fiance has been taking good care of me. He has been taking care of Nora late at night so I can sleep uninterrupted through the night and he makes sure I am eating throughout the day.

I am feeling better today but I think it is settling more into my sinuses. My throat is much less sore, thank goodness :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies-

An Update-

I had to go back to the doctor today. I have been getting much worse instead of better. This doctor says I have a "horrible" ear infection, my throat is infected and it has gone into my lungs. So now I am on antibiotics and so is Nora. Her throat was irritated and she had "snotty" breathing. I am not terribly happy that my poor baby has to be on antibiotics this early in life, but I am glad that the doctor took us seriously and is going to help us get better.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile
You and your baby are sick....that's not too good for a happy Mothers Day! I went to the doctors for my throat and ears and he also reccommended hydrogen peroxide! I soak my toothbrushes in hp and I also clean my toilets with it. I do hope and pray that you and your Nora feel better real soon. Happy Mothers day to you! Susan
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I think I have Strep throat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page